Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Opinions on veg*n slip-ups?

11 - 20 of 24 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Andrewxxx Andrewxxx VIC Posts: 272
11 15 Dec 2010
There's this cheese in coles called mini-chol. It used to be vegan and it was heaps better than cheezly. I'd checked the label a ton of times because I'm usually pretty paranoid about missing something. Then one day it had milk solids in it. Was pretty shattered. Also I had to buy a suit recently, got it home and realised it's made from wool. Because I pretty much just live in jeans and a tshirt I never even considered checking clothes labels. I'm gonna have to wear it until it gets holes in it now
ReplyQuote

Ellim Ellim United Kingdom Posts: 480
12 15 Dec 2010
ckimana said:
There's a difference between "slipping up" and eating something intentionally.
Agree with this.  The two are not even in the same ballpark.  Sure, vegans occasionally accidentally eat non-vegan foods, but intentionally eating non-vegan foods isn't 'slipping up' in my opinion.
ReplyQuote

MarkM MarkM QLD Posts: 214
13 15 Dec 2010
don't worry two strikes is fine, just watch out for the half'n'half!

wink
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
14 16 Dec 2010
MarkM said:

wink
Half'n'Half?

Also, I've slipped up once or twice and eaten an animal product without realising it. BUt then again I'm still really a new vegan. My first anniversary of vegetarianism comes next Feb, and of veganism next March. So most of my slip ups come from not knowing what's vegan and forgetting to read labels.
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
15 16 Dec 2010
Eating something unintentionally is a mistake.. eating something intentionally and knowing you don't usually isssss a slip up. You've slipped up from your routine, just like eating a chocolate when you're on a diet.

A lot of vegans would be repulsed and so not have slip ups from veganism, just mistakes. But then a lot of vegans are vegan for the animals not coz they thought milk, meat or eggs were gross. So I think it's okay. Ordering a cheeseburger from maccas is a MAJOR slip up and hopefully no veg ever is in that boat coz that is a concious decision to go against your beliefs, but to me dipping in to left overs that are about to be thrown away isn't bad. It doesn't effect the industry or other people.

Don't beat yourself up about it. It is a lifestyle, just think of it as being in it for the long run. I have put a bit of left over curry sauce (that had chicken cooked in it) on left over rice and ate that before it was thrown out before, doesn't mean i'm going to ask for them to make that meal for me or go out and eat some chicken.
ReplyQuote

Courtney_1 Courtney_1 VIC Posts: 335
16 16 Dec 2010
ckimana said:
Courtney_ said:
Oh. Well, I personally wouldn't go and eat a chocolate or so if they wouldn't fit - I'd try to find a family member of friend who would eat it, or give someone extra.
Unless I accidently eat something that has dairy in it and I didn't know (eg. Potato chips), then I never plan on eating dairy again... And of course I would check what's in the chips.

happy
Yep, so true.

There's a difference between "slipping up" and eating something intentionally. I would never eat something non-vegan intentionally even if it meant wasting the food. Just the thought would turn me off and if I do it "this once" what's going to stop me from doing it again? I'd give it to a fam member, friend, colleague or something.
Exactly. Yesterday I was eating plain chips (a friend had gave me a packet knowing they're the only ones I can eat) and as I was eating the first chip, I noticed it said "Contains Milk" on the packet... I didn't eat the rest. That was an accidental slip up.
ReplyQuote

TofuUnleashed TofuUnleashed TAS Posts: 986
17 16 Dec 2010
Valkyrie Uruz said:
MarkM said:

wink
Half'n'Half?

Also, I've slipped up once or twice and eaten an animal product without realising it. BUt then again I'm still really a new vegan. My first anniversary of vegetarianism comes next Feb, and of veganism next March. So most of my slip ups come from not knowing what's vegan and forgetting to read labels.
Hey, we can celebrate our anniversaries together! laugh I went vegetarian on 2nd February 2010. I'm not entirely sure when I went vegan, but I normally go from the time I started using vegan toothpaste (one of the last of my products switched to vegan) , which was in April. peace
ReplyQuote

Akasha213 Akasha213 VIC Posts: 227
18 16 Dec 2010
When I was about 10 I'd be vege for about 3 years but not vegan yet. I had a pizza from pizza hut and was taking a bite out of my second piece when I realised that under the cheese there was a piece of salami or whatever that type of meat is that they put on pizza's. I'd got a vegetarian pizza but they'd given me a meat one!!!
I was so upset and disgusted. I never went to that pizza hut again.

A few times my mum has bought me something that says may contain traces of milk and I've chanced that. I wouldnt do it if it may contain traces of egg or fish though.

Everyone has their own levels of things that they can tolerate and I dont think anyone would judge you any less for having a chocolate rather than wast it.
clap
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
19 16 Dec 2010
I think its important to remember the whole reason why we are veg*n and not insist of labelling and rules. The whole fact that you and all of us are vegetarian and vegan is our compassionate and loving nature. Unless you purposely eat meat, it isnt harming anyone. In the scheme of things there are alot more important things to worry about in the world than if you accidentally ate something which contains 1% milk or slipped up because of cravings.  Nobody is perfect, but by being vegans and vegetarians we are the closest that humans can get to being perfect happy

Dont ever beat yourself up about it. Life is short, do the best you can and remember the important things.
ReplyQuote

AshleyHippie AshleyHippie VIC Posts: 44
20 16 Dec 2010
Thank you so much everyone for the supportive comments happy.

I am repulsed by meat and egg, if either of them had egg I wouldn't of done it but dairy was the hardest for me to give up. Thanks so much everyone for sharing stories, made me feel a  little better and I'm definitely not going to go buying any dairy after two mistakes or ever have anything that I know my family would replace after it ran out like milk.. well in my mind I've somewhat convinced myself it isn't as terrible as I feel lol.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au