Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Opinions on veg*n slip-ups?

1 - 10 of 24 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

AshleyHippie AshleyHippie VIC Posts: 44
1 15 Dec 2010
I've been vegan for a year now but I'm going to be so honest right now and say I've had some slip ups the past week, knowingly eating dairy.

At first I was packing some christmas chocolates and one wouldn't fit so rather then throw it out I eat it, I regretted it but it seamed a waste if I just chucked it.

then tonight as well. My sister just had a birthday and had a very elaborate non-veg cake.. there was a whole tub of store-bought frosting left over, It looked so good so I checked the ingredients and it only had dairy in it (I though ti would of had egg, maybe gelatin etc). And I'm on the diabetic side and theres nothing in the house that's vegan and sweet so I pretty much got out a spoon and did something very bad sad.

I really regret it but both times I never paid money and there for didn't *support* the industry.. just let myself down a little :/
ReplyQuote

Courtney_1 Courtney_1 VIC Posts: 335
2 15 Dec 2010
Oh. Well, I personally wouldn't go and eat a chocolate or so if they wouldn't fit - I'd try to find a family member of friend who would eat it, or give someone extra.
Unless I accidently eat something that has dairy in it and I didn't know (eg. Potato chips), then I never plan on eating dairy again... And of course I would check what's in the chips.

happy
ReplyQuote

wild child2 wild child2 QLD Posts: 2638
3 15 Dec 2010
Don't beat yourself up Ashley, your still doing great things!!!

love
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
4 15 Dec 2010
Unleashed Admin
Being vegan isn't about being perfect. It's about doing the most you can for animals. And it sounds like you're doing a lot. I wouldn't worry too much about the slip ups... as you say, it's not like you went out and bought that stuff.
ReplyQuote

sarahwithanh27 sarahwithanh27 VIC Posts: 439
5 15 Dec 2010
I've had a couple of my own slip-ups the past week, but I didn't realise I'd eaten dairy until after the fact. I take these as learning experiences, everyone makes mistakes, it's not like you're going to stop being vegan just because of one or two itty bitty slip-ups. (:
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
6 15 Dec 2010
I have slip ups some times too, but it doesn't mean you're suddenly a non-vegan. While I wouldn't go and buy food that contains animal products, I probably would make exceptions on my own sister's birthday! I mean it's not like you're going to eat a bit of frosting which might have a tiny bit of butter in it and then go on a dairy frenzy. But such exceptions I wouldn't make a habit of.
ReplyQuote

prettypoodlexx prettypoodlexx SA Posts: 125
7 15 Dec 2010
When I first went vegetarian I went for lunch at the fish and chip shop. I ordered some chips and one dim sim, and ate them.

It wasn't untill the next day when I walked past the fish and chip shop that I realized what I had done. /massive face palm.

Also chips got me a few time with ingredients like chicken stock and it wasn't untill a few months ago that I realized gelatin isn't vegetarian regardless of whiter it's halal or not.

About a month ago my boyfriend bought me a sesame seed bar, it had gelatin in it, I ate it anyway. Regretted it straight after. But hey, at least I regretted it.

It seems to me that you may be craving some sweets, get sone sweet William or something, have it around as an alternative. Then you may be less tempted? X
ReplyQuote

wild child2 wild child2 QLD Posts: 2638
8 15 Dec 2010
About a month into going veg my boyfriend came home from a golf day, I asked casually what he'd had for lunch , he paused, then face palmed! a sausage on bread!
He had just totally not realised until after..... I know that sounds weird but he's a very honest person and he insists he really just forgot in the moment.

There's no such thing as the vegan police, only your own conscience, so don't stress over it too much.

Go to Big W get some Kinnerton Chocolate - it's vegan, it's amazing, nothing like Sweet William (which I can't stand) & totally fulfills the cravings!

Its in a dark wrapper with colourful spots on the front, dairy free, egg free, & nut free happy
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
9 15 Dec 2010
Courtney_ said:
Oh. Well, I personally wouldn't go and eat a chocolate or so if they wouldn't fit - I'd try to find a family member of friend who would eat it, or give someone extra.
Unless I accidently eat something that has dairy in it and I didn't know (eg. Potato chips), then I never plan on eating dairy again... And of course I would check what's in the chips.

happy
Yep, so true.

There's a difference between "slipping up" and eating something intentionally. I would never eat something non-vegan intentionally even if it meant wasting the food. Just the thought would turn me off and if I do it "this once" what's going to stop me from doing it again? I'd give it to a fam member, friend, colleague or something.
ReplyQuote

Little_Kitty Little_Kitty United Kingdom Posts: 376
10 15 Dec 2010
I had a slip up tonight..i was eating my fav non dairy dip...which I've always loved..and because it's Jewish and has no dairy plasted all over the tub i didnt even think to look at the ingredients until tonight...

ITS GOT EGG!!!

oopps..oh well, now i know.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

Unleashed

This page was printed from Animals Australia Unleashed's website (www.unleashed.org.au).