Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

I wanna go Vegan...

1 - 10 of 31 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

Simo Simo QLD Posts: 23
1 20 Aug 2009
Hey everyone.

My problem at the moment is, I want to go Vegan [ hence the title -.- ] but I have a hard enough time being Vegetarian!!
I grew up being a real big meat eater, plus eggs, milk etc. Also, my parents buy $600 worth of meat on a yearly [ sometimes 6 months -.- ] basis!
Plus they keep saying that I'm going to get really sick because I'm not getting the vitamins and minerals I need that you can "only" get from meat -- complete bullshit I know, but the negativity of it is hard to take =.

I've tried Soy Milk but I just can't stomach the taste -- even though I couldn't stand dairy milk even when I was drinking it!!

Please help with any tips or tricks-of-the-trade to help me =[
I am in my last year of school now, and so planning on buying my own foods and what not for myself next year while I stay at home and save for my studies; but still, that's a while away!!

I'd really like to do this to help the animals, but the milk substitutes are horrible, and I'm not a very good cook -.-'

Help!! D:
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
2 20 Aug 2009
My fav substitutes:

- Margarine: Tablelands (tastes like dairy marg so I buy that for my omni partner, otherwise I'd buy Nuttlex)
- Milk: Vitasoy Rice Milk
- Cheese: Cheezly and Parmazano (both from Cruelty Free Shop)
- Eggs: No Egg replacer
- Chocolate: Sweet Williams or Alpha chocs - yum!
- Icecream: So Good
- Meat Substitutes: Tempeh Tasty, TVP, Lamyong, Frys Schnitzels, patties, sausage rolls or Sanitarium BBQ soy sausages, Blue Lotus Sweet Chilli Tofu cubes, Soyco Thai or Malasian Peanut Satay Tofu.

But most importantly I'd reccommend buying a good vegan cookbook. That way you can experiment with different foods that you never knew existed.

The only nutrient you need to be concerned about is B12. However, I'd reccommend getting a blood test 6 weeks after changing to a vegan diet.

Good luck  happy
ReplyQuote

littlemisstofu littlemisstofu QLD Posts: 94
3 20 Aug 2009
This is my EXACT problem too!
my fav meat alternative is deep fried tofu, its not the healthiest of things, but we've got a deep fat fryer and whenever my parents are having fish and chips i ask them to put a chunk of tofu in, its delish. (well for me it is).... tongue
i also take vitamin supplements, like flaxseed oil, it has a really nice nutty taste.
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
4 20 Aug 2009
Unleashed Admin
We have a whole list of suggestions for alternatives to animal products here. All vegan and all yummy clap : http://www.unleashed.org.au/change_the_world/go_veg/shopping_guide.php
ReplyQuote

Kaisha Kaisha VIC Posts: 97
5 20 Aug 2009
Oat milk is my favourite!! You can find it with other long life shelf milk.

I say JUST DO IT!! I went vegan overnight but i'm crazy like that, once i decide something i jsut do it.

I have also kicked the habit of cigarettes (and drugs iin my teenage years) so i don't know why people think going vegan is hard because compared to addictions it's all gravy!!
ReplyQuote

april-san april-san QLD Posts: 368
6 20 Aug 2009
The soy milk thing...yeah it does taste weird at first.
Try having it in cereal or getting the flavoured ones to get used to the taste. I couldn't stomach it at first, either! But now I like it much better, it's nuttier and nicer. The lite soymilk isn't as strong...and rice milk is good too happy
Being vegetarian is easy as long as you get some variety - meat can be replaced with legumes like chickpeas, lentils and beans. Like, in spaghetti or pretty much any mexican dish you can use lentils instead of mince. Chickpeas in stir fries is excellent. And there's loads of 'fake' sausages and patties around.
Keep on at it! You can do it!
ReplyQuote

ashleigh ashleigh QLD Posts: 57
7 20 Aug 2009
i say go for it, at least you know you will have endless support on here!!!
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
8 20 Aug 2009
april-san said:
The soy milk thing...yeah it does taste weird at first.
Try having it in cereal or getting the flavoured ones to get used to the taste. I couldn't stomach it at first, either! But now I like it much better, it's nuttier and nicer. The lite soymilk isn't as strong...and rice milk is good too happy
Being vegetarian is easy as long as you get some variety - meat can be replaced with legumes like chickpeas, lentils and beans. Like, in spaghetti or pretty much any mexican dish you can use lentils instead of mince. Chickpeas in stir fries is excellent. And there's loads of 'fake' sausages and patties around.
Keep on at it! You can do it!
Yeah, lentils and chickpeas probably healthier than what I mentioned!! Haha!!! I love chickpeas!!! Good in salads too happy
ReplyQuote

Ellim Ellim United Kingdom Posts: 480
9 20 Aug 2009
Read a book about vegan nutrition.  Something like 'Becoming Vegan' (Davis and Melina, 2000) and read vegan food blogs (like Vegan Dad, Vegan Lunch Box, and Vegan Yum Yum) and don't hesitate to try new things!

I only drink soy milk in coffee, otherwise I drink rice milk, it is much better!  If you love ice cream, invest in an ice cream maker!  Having one has seriously changed my life (and the product is way better than So Good, I think).  Do a little bit of research about where you can get meat and dairy replacers (like all the good ones mentioned above) so you know where you can get everything.

And finally - just do it.  You might stumble around in the beginning, and you might make some mistakes - but go into it with the right mindset.  Don't say to yourself (and others) "I am becoming vegan" say "I AM vegan!"
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
10 20 Aug 2009
If I had drank soy milk as my first step into veganism.. I would have given up there and then! But I didn't so I'm still going pretty strong.

Going vegan is only hard if you love love love cheese... which most omni's do usually. Getting used to soy cheese is really hard! But after awhile you get used to eating pasta and sandwiches without it.

You'd be surprised how many foods are accidentally vegan! Oreos!!! Who would have guessed huh?

Start out small. Kick eggs out first. This is how I started. Eggs are easy. Then all products with egg in it (you'd be surprised where they pop up!). Then milk... all products with milk/milk powder/whey (again these pop up in strange places too).... then cheese.

For some people this transition takes time, for others it's like a switch that can be turned on. Don't be down on yourself if your transition takes a little time. Step by step you are doing your part to save animals!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au