Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Christmas Nut Roast

Did anyone try it?

1 - 7 of 7 posts

Bec & Laura Bec & Laura NSW Posts: 72
1 29 Dec 2010
Hi, we made the nutroast from the site for Christmas this year and it was Yum! Did anyone else try it out? what did you think? pig
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
2 29 Dec 2010
No i didn't ;O! Can ya link me the recipie?

Hey one q! Why do you two share an account? I think its cool lol cos its different but ive always wondered why? And does it get hard to always say we instead of i when writting on the fourm? Ty.
ReplyQuote

Bec & Laura Bec & Laura NSW Posts: 72
3 29 Dec 2010
Callum said:
No i didn't ;O! Can ya link me the recipie?

Hey one q! Why do you two share an account? I think its cool lol cos its different but ive always wondered why? And does it get hard to always say we instead of i when writting on the fourm? Ty.
HERE IS THE RECIPE:

You Will Need:

Nut Roast

A sixth of a cup/30g/1oz of dairy-free margarine (try Nuttelex)
2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
1 medium leek, finely chopped
1 and a half cups of hot water
1 teaspoon of yeast extract (marmite, vegemite etc.)
3 cups/550g/16oz of ground cashew nuts (or other nuts of your choice - almonds work well too)
2 Tablespoons of soya flour
2 teaspoons of fresh herbs - winter savoury is great (if using dried; 1 teaspoon)
3 cups/160g/6oz of white bread crumbs
sea-salt and pepper to taste

Sage and Onion Stuffing

6 slices of wholemeal bread
half a cup/85g/3oz of dairy-free marg / Nuttelex
4 teaspoons of dried sage or 8 of fresh, chopped sage
1 finely chopped large onion

Directions:

Nut Roast

Melt the margarine (in a large pan for mixing) and cook the celery and leek in it for a few minutes.
Mix the yeast extract into the hot water (alternatively you could use any stock you like) and add this to the leek and celery.
Stir in the soya flour, nuts, herbs, breadcrumbs and salt and pepper and mix well. Allow to cool slightly while you grease a loaf tin.
Place half the nut roast mixture in the tin and press down well - then add the sage and onion stuffing (see recipe below), press down well again and place the rest of the nut roast mixture on top.
Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes at 180/360 then turn out of the tin and slice. Nice served with all the traditional trimmings.

Sage and Onion Stuffing

Melt the margarine in a saucepan and then cook the onion in it until soft.
Break up the wholemeal bread with your hands (into fairly small pieces) and then mix into the onion and margarine with the sage and salt.
Nut Roast
You can substitute wine (red or white) or soya milk for the water and yeast extract. The sage and onion stuffing is optional - it works just as well without it and might actually slice up easier! A layer of sliced mushrooms and garlic is an alternative to the stuffing.

wave

We both have the same profile because I use the site most of the time and Laura just logs on every now and then so did not want to make a profile of her own. And writing we instead of I is only an extra letter so no it is no extra hassle..lol.
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
4 29 Dec 2010
Thanks!

ha ha yeah it is just on extra letter but sometimes its hard to not write in your natural way. Like i used to try to write in third person on my fb statuses but then half way through i would go back to normal lol!
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
5 30 Dec 2010
I NEED to make this some time. I did try, not this christmas, but the previous one, but I used less of the ingredients and it really just seemed like cashew butter tongue I never got to bake it because I left it in the fridge and forgot to bring it when I left to go to my partner's house. sad (Had way too much stuff to take already.)

I aim to make this properly one night soon though and I'll take photos and review it!!! happy

I also want to try Redwoods 'turkey' roast if I can find it. Just had the sanitatrium veggie roast this year, I don't mind that one at all though. happy
ReplyQuote

Jackie Jackie NSW Posts: 229
6 30 Dec 2010
ReplyQuote

Tanyaka Tanyaka VIC Posts: 1219
7 31 Dec 2010
That looks gorgeous, looks like a simple recipe too.
I can't wait to experiment!! We all have an entire year to try out and perfect recipes. Christmas 2011 is gonna rock. happy
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au