Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

pig

1 - 10 of 27 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Louise Louise QLD Posts: 10
1 21 Aug 2009
hellooo everyone!
well, just a general question actually. i want to own a pet pig (the smaller kind of pig), but dont really know how to go about it/how to look after a pig. does anyone know?
thanks a bunch! Lou xoxoxox
ReplyQuote

Apple Scruff Apple Scruff VIC Posts: 180
2 21 Aug 2009
Louise said:
hellooo everyone!
well, just a general question actually. i want to own a pet pig (the smaller kind of pig), but dont really know how to go about it/how to look after a pig. does anyone know?
thanks a bunch! Lou xoxoxox
I don't think here in Australia we really have any "small pigs". They have all been bred to grow incredibly fast and they eat a hell of a lot so you have to be prepared. You also have to make sure you have lots of land and can afford hay etc so they don't get bored and get exercise. It's a big responsibility, they live aslong as cats as dogs do (I should say can, because most aren't given the chance to). I've never had a pig (so I can't tell you that much)  but they are one of my favourite animals so maybe one day....

You should get one from a stockyard, that's one less pig slaughtered.

PS. Don't 'own' a pig, just take care of one happy
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
3 21 Aug 2009
If you have land/acreage and time to take care of one or more pigs, you should definitely look out for rescued pigs that need a home (maybe contact Animal Lib QLD?) or Apple Scruff's suggestion. Just please don't go to those who breed pet pigs for profit, even if that's the only way you can get a miniature.
ReplyQuote

Rosie Wolf Rosie Wolf VIC Posts: 163
4 21 Aug 2009
Ah, mini pigs... You most certainly can get them in Australia, but only through breeders. They're mighty expensive, and you have to go on a waiting list.

I've always wanted a pig, but i'd rather save one from slaughter. Regular pigs can make amazing pets, but, be aware that they start out little and can naturally grow massive! so you do need a fair bit of land for them. As far as sharing your house with a piglet goes, they can be litter trained when they're little, they get along with other animals, and are devoted companion animals. A great pet if you've got the right backyard.
ReplyQuote

5 21 Aug 2009
Raah said:
Ah, mini pigs... You most certainly can get them in Australia, but only through breeders. They're mighty expensive, and you have to go on a waiting list.
Well I kind of knew that - but I don't think it's fair to get one from a breeder when there are so many up for slaughter, the same with all the homeless pets being euthanised.
ReplyQuote

Rosie Wolf Rosie Wolf VIC Posts: 163
6 21 Aug 2009
Apple Scruff said:
Raah said:
Well I kind of knew that - but I don't think it's fair to get one from a breeder when there are so many up for slaughter, the same with all the homeless pets being euthanised.
Neither do i. As i also said, "i would rather save one from slaughter".
But i'm not going to deny the fact you can get mini pigs in australia.
ReplyQuote

7 21 Aug 2009
Raah said:
Apple Scruff said:
Raah said:
Neither do i. As i also said, "i would rather save one from slaughter".
But i'm not going to deny the fact you can get mini pigs in australia.
Yeah I know. Ahhh I want a pig now
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
8 21 Aug 2009
One of my friends has a pet pig. She has funny stories... how the pig will come running over to her with her dogs when called. He thinks he's in their pack! Too cute!!!
ReplyQuote

advoc8 advoc8 SA Posts: 179
9 22 Aug 2009
Pigs are the sweetest. That people can eat them revolts me

furious
ReplyQuote

ashleigh ashleigh QLD Posts: 57
10 22 Aug 2009
Im getting a mini pig... in 1 year and counting, from a breader in QLD. Just search google - mini pig breaders in QLD. Having a mini pig will educate people that they are the equivilant to a family dog or cat and maybe get people to start questioning their own ethics. You can walk them on a leash in most places and being out and about will get people thinking. I have done much research on these little guys as i have wanted one for many years now, but i want to buy acerage first. The best thing about them is they are veg aswell!!!!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au