Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Vegan in very unvegan places~ survival tips

France with my school group...

1 - 7 of 7 posts

CUPCAKES! CUPCAKES! VIC Posts: 177
1 9 Jan 2011
So i've spent a whole month in France and YES i've stayed compltely vegan. It's helps having a vegetarian nearly vegan host sister.

But i need help now, I'm going to Paris with my school group soon for a a week. I have no idea what I'm going to eat. Most of the time we are eating at meat famous  restuarants and even a crêperie and I don't know what to do. There's no other vegetarians or vegans on the trip.

Can you give me tips of what to order, (i can speak and understand basic french) how to survive :p, what to say?
I just want to enjoy Pairs scared
ReplyQuote

bitchanca bitchanca VIC Posts: 117
2 10 Jan 2011
if you're able to suggest somewhere that you all can eat, Le Passage Obligé used to be a vegan place, but now is omni with vegan options, and the same people working there so they know what vegan is.

otherwise, there will be vegan options in supermarkets, so you could have a stash back in your hotel in case you're left hungry at the restaurants?
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
3 10 Jan 2011
Wow an almost vegan in France! Wow! Well for lunch in Paris you should try and go to a self make baguete place. Because bagguettes are the best lunches in Paris but most shops don't sell them w/o meat and/or dairy (some do though). There are some self serve type baguette places where you choose what you want on it.

For Dinner if the restaurant you all go to doesn't have any vegan options, have a talk with the waiter and they will probably be able to sort something out. They might be able to make you a pasta or some chips or something.
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
4 10 Jan 2011
Wow! France! You'll be seeing a lot of foie gras on the menu, I can imagine sad

I've never been over seas so I can't speak from experience in that regard, but I can speak from experiences here in Aus. If I'm ever stuck in a restaurant where every item on the menu has meat, except for the sides, then I order a bunch of sides and ask that they make it a 'main'. In fact, one of my favourite restaurants (in Narellan, NSW) is a German-Czech Restaurant where there are absolutely NO veg*an main options. Every time I go, I order as a main, my favourite sides which are pan-fried potatoes, vegies and crumbed mushrooms and they always give me a huge portion, equivalent to any other main on the menu.

I think you'll find that most restaurants want to make you comfortable and satisfied, though I have been told that the people of France are quite rude, particularly to tourists, lol!

As Callum mentioned, talk to the waiter and see what they can do for you.

Have fun over there, I'm really jealous! happy
ReplyQuote

april-san april-san QLD Posts: 368
5 10 Jan 2011
I'm about to have the same challenge, going to Japan tomorrow ecstatic
Luckily I studied Japanese all through high school, so I think I'll be able to explain myself enough happy
When I went in Year 10 (and my Japanese was pretty crappy), I found that the basic foods were the safest. Eg, when the rest of my group went to a burger shop, I just went to the convenience store a few shops down and got some inari (tofu pockets filled with rice).
So you might find that, for casual meals like that, it'll be easier to either do that or order something like salad off the menu. For when you go to proper restaurants, sarahbentvelzen's tip about side dishes is excellent, I do that all the time too. Otherwise, find the closest thing to vegan on the menu you can then ask the waiter if they can leave out whatever animal products are in it happy Did that in Japan once and they even took some money off the meal cost because I asked for my okonomiyaki to not have bacon ecstatic
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
6 10 Jan 2011
april-san said:
I'm about to have the same challenge, going to Japan tomorrow ecstatic
Luckily I studied Japanese all through high school, so I think I'll be able to explain myself enough happy
When I went in Year 10 (and my Japanese was pretty crappy), I found that the basic foods were the safest. Eg, when the rest of my group went to a burger shop, I just went to the convenience store a few shops down and got some inari (tofu pockets filled with rice).
So you might find that, for casual meals like that, it'll be easier to either do that or order something like salad off the menu. For when you go to proper restaurants, sarahbentvelzen's tip about side dishes is excellent, I do that all the time too. Otherwise, find the closest thing to vegan on the menu you can then ask the waiter if they can leave out whatever animal products are in it happy Did that in Japan once and they even took some money off the meal cost because I asked for my okonomiyaki to not have bacon ecstatic
I want to get into Japanese food more. I tried making norimaki at home, but the nori I bought was cheap, so it was a bit chewy and didn't cut well sad Maybe it was my knives also?
Late last year I was in a 'Miso mood' and made lots of Miso soup. Should make some more. Love it! I still have some kelp stock left happy
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
7 12 Jan 2011
Wow, bet your loving it over there, I'm yet to go!

If you stayed veg for a month, do what you're doing now. Just stick to staples, veggies/salads/fruit/bread/rice/pasta. If your teacher doesn't organise a vegan meal for you then you should refuse to go.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au