Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Reading 'Eating Animals'

wondering how much applies to Australia

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

Mel Mel NSW Posts: 289
1 16 Jan 2011
Hey, I don't know if this was already talked about but, I'm reading the book 'Eating Animals' by Jonathan Safran Foer and I was wondering how much of the descriptions of factory farms and their conditions were accurate about Australian farms as well?
I realise it is n't a question of whether or not the basics applies because I'm pretty certain they apply everywhere...just how much, for instance do our farms regulate themselves?

Thanks for any responses xx
ReplyQuote

Em the planeteer Em the planeteer SA Posts: 173
2 16 Jan 2011
To be honest I don't know. I read that book and became a vegetarian pretty much striaght away though.
ReplyQuote

Little_Kitty Little_Kitty United Kingdom Posts: 376
3 16 Jan 2011
Em the planeteer said:
To be honest I don't know. I read that book and became a vegetarian pretty much striaght away though.
Ditto.
I think it's fairly similar except we don't have huge feedlots for beef and I dont think our regulatory bodies would be so corrupt...well i hope not anyway...
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
4 16 Jan 2011
I havent read the book, Id assume that the pig and chicken conditions are the same at least because Australia is a big disappointment with the care for these two. At cows arent factory farms in our country, But I wouldnt put that down to care, I would put it down to the cows great size.
ReplyQuote

JaimieCS JaimieCS VIC Posts: 363
5 16 Jan 2011
People will tell you that Australia is better, but we're not. I grew up in the heart of the agricultural industry and there's nothing we don't do. Yes we have feedlot cattle, sow stalls, factory farms, low living/transport standards, inhumane methods of shearing, castrating, branding and slaughtering, live transport, live export (which is far worse, and not legal in most of the US.)

We're just as bad.
ReplyQuote

Mel Mel NSW Posts: 289
6 17 Jan 2011
Thanks for your replies.
I thought that we might be just about on par with America. We tend to follow their lead in just about everything else...

I used to live near dairy farms, and while they were "free ranged" they were not living on green pastures like some people assume. But I wasn't sure about the animals for food.
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
7 17 Jan 2011
Unleashed Admin
Mel said:
Hey, I don't know if this was already talked about but, I'm reading the book 'Eating Animals' by Jonathan Safran Foer and I was wondering how much of the descriptions of factory farms and their conditions were accurate about Australian farms as well?
I realise it is n't a question of whether or not the basics applies because I'm pretty certain they apply everywhere...just how much, for instance do our farms regulate themselves?

Thanks for any responses xx
That's a very big question to try and answer happy
Probably the simplest (and most important) answer is that for the animals themselves (particularly in factory farms) their experiences are very similar.

In Australia the animal industries usually have a fairly dominating influence on the animal welfare guidelines that are recommended to the government for implementation. When they didn't get their way in Tassie recently (on sow stalls) they threatened to remove funding for the review of welfare guidelines (yes the industry partly funds the review of welfare guidelines). The removal of funding by the industry for these reviews would effectively put all associated guideline reviews on hold - which is pretty big leverage for them to have up their sleeve.

As for inspections. I believe that in most cases farms must be given prior notice of inspections.

The other issue worth considering is that the national minister responsible for animal welfare is the Minister for Agriculture (it's the same case in many states). This seems like a pretty big conflict of interest if you ask me!
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
8 17 Jan 2011
Are there any books directly about the Australian industry?

Gosh that really is silly! And of course they would favour the agriculture industry because of the economey.
ReplyQuote

Em the planeteer Em the planeteer SA Posts: 173
9 17 Jan 2011
I saw a truck of pigs on the way to work thismorning, it made me sad sad
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
10 19 Jan 2011
Unleashed Admin
Callum said:
Are there any books directly about the Australian industry?
Good question. Off-hand, I can't think of any.
If you're looking for footage however, all of our videos on factory farming reflect standard practice on Australian factory farms: http://www.animalsaustralia.org/media/videos.php
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au