Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Freeganism. - how far is too far?

Does any one practice freeganism? WOULD anyone? Very interested :)

11 - 20 of 41 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  

prettypoodlexx prettypoodlexx SA Posts: 125
11 16 Jan 2011
I can't copy paste but there's a website Freegan.info

It explains a heap. But there are very mixed descriptions.
ReplyQuote

z1 z1 VIC Posts: 535
12 17 Jan 2011
freegans are the only ones who can claim their diet is cruelty free. Even if they eat meat.

I look at it as a personal purity thing. It doesnt make any significant difference and it would never catch on with the general public but it's a admirable gesture.
ReplyQuote

13 17 Jan 2011
I think it makes a huge difference, simply because they can live 100% cruelty free.

But I get you. happy

Let's be freegans! Haha I wish I could... Kind of.
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
14 17 Jan 2011
i think being vegan personally is 100% cruelty free, too me freeganism is too extreme
i know i couldnt do it, i just find it kind of gross , sorry haha
ReplyQuote

- Kitty Freak - - Kitty Freak - SA Posts: 1071
15 17 Jan 2011
Kirrilly said:
But I think the part that people are a bit iffy about is the 'dumpster diving'. Though I'm pretty sure that's only one part of it and the general idea is to not pay for food & clothing etc. This could include growing your own food, making clothes etc so when you think of it like that it's not too extreme. It would be hard though.
I read a bit and the dumpster diving doesn't even sound bad to me, because it's strictly UN OPENED foods in their packaging, non perishables and even perishable if they're past their best before date.
There would be nothing wrong with them if it were still all packaged.
I absolutely LOVE the idea! I'm with you Kirrilly, a big Eff you to capitalism =D
It's a very brave thing to do, you would be greatly judged!
If there were a group of people who would do it with me, i'd do it too ^_^ Probably not fully, but it could save heaps of money even partly!
ReplyQuote

Akasha213 Akasha213 VIC Posts: 227
16 17 Jan 2011
I love the idea.
I've said heaps of times that wish I could do it. But I know I couldnt bring myself to go through a big icky bin!!
ReplyQuote

17 18 Jan 2011
Well that is two adelaidians willing to give it a go! Let's think about giving it a go :3
ReplyQuote

devotchkadebones devotchkadebones VIC Posts: 91
18 18 Jan 2011
I love the concept behind freeganism. Corporatism is disgusting, and I am pretty much convinced that the stuff we allow corporations to get away with will be the downfall of humanity. No hyperbole.
ReplyQuote

19 18 Jan 2011
Very true.... I agree entirely. I wish I could live like freegans, however I'm not sure I could get past eating out of bin..

Meh, I kind of feel guilty, like I should be able to put my discomfort aside for the greater good of our planet and it's inhabitants... You know??
ReplyQuote

devotchkadebones devotchkadebones VIC Posts: 91
20 18 Jan 2011
prettypoodlexx said:
Very true.... I agree entirely. I wish I could live like freegans, however I'm not sure I could get past eating out of bin..

Meh, I kind of feel guilty, like I should be able to put my discomfort aside for the greater good of our planet and it's inhabitants... You know??
I understand what you're saying, but when you look at it from another perspective, it isn't so bad. Freeganism is definitely admirable, don't get me wrong, but it's very unlikely that adopting a freeganist lifestyle is likely to inspire people due to the social values the western world currently holds. It may reduce your eco-footprint, but you're only one person, so the effect it has won't be great. However, if you concentrated your energy on raising awareness about corporatism (preferably with an animal-friendly slant, like arranging hard-hitting letter writing campaigns protesting cage eggs used by corporations, for example), you'd get much more significant results.

On the other hand, being a freegan has many labels and stigmas attached to it (true or otherwise), as this very thread shows. So it's up to you to decide what's worth your energy, time, and focus.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au