Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Freeganism. - how far is too far?

Does any one practice freeganism? WOULD anyone? Very interested :)

21 - 30 of 41 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
21 18 Jan 2011
prettypoodlexx said:
Very true.... I agree entirely. I wish I could live like freegans, however I'm not sure I could get past eating out of bin..

Meh, I kind of feel guilty, like I should be able to put my discomfort aside for the greater good of our planet and it's inhabitants... You know??
The big industrial skips at supermarkets and such aren't just like some random rubbish bin on the street where you would find all sorts of nasty things. If you think about what a supermarket would throw out I imagine it would be mostly cardboard boxes, unopened food, etc. The produce might get a bit stinky if it was allowed to go off. But the point is I think it would be much more hygienic than just a regular rubbish bin.

But then again I haven't tried it so I wouldn't know fo sho.
ReplyQuote

devotchkadebones devotchkadebones VIC Posts: 91
22 18 Jan 2011
Kirrilly said:
The big industrial skips at supermarkets and such aren't just like some random rubbish bin on the street where you would find all sorts of nasty things. If you think about what a supermarket would throw out I imagine it would be mostly cardboard boxes, unopened food, etc. The produce might get a bit stinky if it was allowed to go off. But the point is I think it would be much more hygienic than just a regular rubbish bin.

No, you're pretty much correct about this, dependent upon where you do it. Most bakeries will throw out multiple garbage bags full of uneaten bread that they haven't sold, and are not legally permitted to give away to someone who needs it (i.e. homeless people), or sell the next day. This is just an example of the type of stuff that freegans eat. Another example is a box of perfectly good, say, apples will be thrown out because they have some bruising. It's incredibly wasteful, and this is what a great deal of freeganist philosophy centers around.
ReplyQuote

Catyren Catyren WA Posts: 542
23 18 Jan 2011
i'd love to grow all my own food and be as self sufficiently as possible but i doubt i'd rummage through a bin for anything. i'm happy to buy second-hand though
ReplyQuote

Catyren Catyren WA Posts: 542
24 18 Jan 2011
devotchkadebones said:
Kirrilly said:

No, you're pretty much correct about this, dependent upon where you do it. Most bakeries will throw out multiple garbage bags full of uneaten bread that they haven't sold, and are not legally permitted to give away to someone who needs it (i.e. homeless people), or sell the next day. This is just an example of the type of stuff that freegans eat. Another example is a box of perfectly good, say, apples will be thrown out because they have some bruising. It's incredibly wasteful, and this is what a great deal of freeganist philosophy centers around.
i think it depends on the supermarket, i work at iga and what goes into our bins are moldy and off stuff. we markdown our day old bread etc. very little gets thrown away.
ReplyQuote

25 18 Jan 2011
Catyren said:
i think it depends on the supermarket, i work at iga and what goes into our bins are moldy and off stuff. we markdown our day old bread etc. very little gets thrown away.
IGA is a very small supermarket chain; when you go to IGA, they have a relatively small range of bread, fruit, etc. (perishables). I was referring to large chains like Coles and Safeway. And I wasn't just talking about supermarkets, in any case.

But definitely, it does depend on the place. What I said does not hold true for all food companies, just a large portion of them. Practicing freegans will find the places that yield more for their energy fairly quickly, I'd imagine.

It's good to hear that about IGA, though! Any place that minimizes their waste is great.
ReplyQuote

Hitler Hitler Iraq Posts: 465
26 18 Jan 2011
i had very little when growning up and mum need alot of support i remeber going with her to collect bread and etc but it was from a small charity. sad adn that was like 13years ago
ReplyQuote

27 18 Jan 2011
Timothy said:
i had very little when growning up and mum need alot of support i remeber going with her to collect bread and etc but it was from a small charity. sad adn that was like 13years ago
Small charities do fantastic work in that department, but due to ridiculous laws in the western world regarding the disposal of unsold food, so much gets thrown out. The food you would have gotten probably came from individual donations, rather than leftovers from companies and corporations.

I'm sorry to hear that, though; that's really tough. It's good that your mother had at least some support, but what an amazing job she must have done raising you! My mother was one of six kids who were raised by a single mother who immigrated to Australia by herself after she got divorced, which just wasn't done in that country at that time. I have so much respect for people who are able to raise kids well in those circumstances.
ReplyQuote

Hitler Hitler Iraq Posts: 465
28 18 Jan 2011
yeah i think she did pretty good we always had full tummies!
ReplyQuote

z1 z1 VIC Posts: 535
29 18 Jan 2011
as far as i remember, the laws regarding supermarkets giving away food have been loosened.

I can imagine in America some arsehole eating something out of a bin and suing Safeway for food poisoning.
ReplyQuote

30 18 Jan 2011
Aaron said:
as far as i remember, the laws regarding supermarkets giving away food have been loosened.

I can imagine in America some arsehole eating something out of a bin and suing Safeway for food poisoning.
I'd love a link, if you could find one.

The second part made me lol, because it's so true. It's theoretically possible to sue someone (and win) if you break into their house, trip on a piece of furniture, and hurt yourself. Absurd.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au