Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

people giving dogs away on Melbourne Gumtree.

1 - 6 of 6 posts

babynighthawk babynighthawk VIC Posts: 105
1 19 Jan 2011
There are 3 on the front page, and the other day I counted over 30 in total!
It makes me so angry that animals seem so disposable to people these days. A dog is forever ... why don't people get that?
I know it's better than people just dumping them on the street or killing them, but most of these people shouldn't have bought a dog in the first place!
I've sent an email to Gumtree requesting that they formally and publicly edit their pets policy to state that pet owners must seek out sources in the community before putting their pet on Gumtree. They state this in their guide to responsible pet ownership, but I can't help but feel that people are advertising animals on Gumtree and expecting someone to take them, and not making any effort at all to find a loving furever home.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
2 19 Jan 2011
I completely agree with you! At the moment there are 5 dogs for free on Gumtree in Tassie. And I think that's just in the Hobart reigon. It's horrible, isn't it! It's bad enough that you're selling your dog, but for free and online?!

One of the dogs here that are for free is a rescued greyhound! That's just cruel in my opinion.
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
3 19 Jan 2011
Hmm i think its bad but i wonder what these people would do to their dogs other wise.... drown them? throw them off to the streets to fend for them selves?

It doesn't justify the lesser evil, but better not to have total cruelty?
ReplyQuote

KittehKat KittehKat ACT Posts: 1
4 19 Jan 2011
I tend to agree with you.  

I wonder what life these poor animals have with some people, to the point I will do whatever is necessary to ensure the animal is safe. People make choices..the animals do not.  

I prefer animals over people any day.
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
5 19 Jan 2011
Omg another Canberran yay! Welcome!
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
6 19 Jan 2011
I also wonder what makes someone think, "oh I need to get this dog a new home. OH I'VE GOT A GOOD IDEA, I'll post it on gumtree along side the rusty bedframe and ripped up levis jeans."

I absolutely hate people giving away animals, but this is definitely not the way to go about it. I even see some that say if they can't give it away they're putting it down. Is that meant to be some kind of guilt trip?
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au