Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Shock Collars in Queensland

Are they legal?

1 - 4 of 4 posts

SheSang SheSang QLD Posts: 17
1 24 Jan 2011
Hi there!
New member here and just thought I'd introduce myself first.
Iíve only just joined but I plan on doing quite a bit as animal rights has always been an important issue to me so you can imagine the delight I felt in finding this website.

A friend of mine brought to my attention her neighbour's use of a shocking "no bark" collar on their dog that is causing the poor thing quite a bit of distress.
She has witnessed firsthand what kind of pain this poor creature endures every time it tries to express itself like any dog should have the freedom to do.

I'd just like to know what the law in Queensland is regarding the use of these devices before I take action. I figured I'd ask here first before confirming with Council or the RSPCA.

Regardless of the legality of these cruel devices, I plan on writing to owner to express my concern for the welfare of this poor little dog; to inform the owner(s) that I will be contacting the RSPCA if alternative and cruel-free methods of controlling the dogís barking arenít put into practice.

Any and all help on this topic would be greatly appreciated  happy
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
2 24 Jan 2011
SheSang said:
Hi there!
New member here and just thought I'd introduce myself first.
Iíve only just joined but I plan on doing quite a bit as animal rights has always been an important issue to me so you can imagine the delight I felt in finding this website.

A friend of mine brought to my attention her neighbour's use of a shocking "no bark" collar on their dog that is causing the poor thing quite a bit of distress.
She has witnessed firsthand what kind of pain this poor creature endures every time it tries to express itself like any dog should have the freedom to do.

I'd just like to know what the law in Queensland is regarding the use of these devices before I take action. I figured I'd ask here first before confirming with Council or the RSPCA.

Regardless of the legality of these cruel devices, I plan on writing to owner to express my concern for the welfare of this poor little dog; to inform the owner(s) that I will be contacting the RSPCA if alternative and cruel-free methods of controlling the dogís barking arenít put into practice.

Any and all help on this topic would be greatly appreciated  happy
'In Australia, it is illegal to import a shock collar through Australian Customs, despite widespread availability and varying laws in different states. Shock collars are illegal to own and use in Australia's Capital Territory (ACT), but according to the 1979 Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, electric collars for dog confinement only, are perfectly legal to use and own in New South Wales (NSW). The use of shock collars is restricted in Victoria (VIC), South Australia (SA) and Northern Territory (NT), though it is not against the law to purchase or own a shock collar in these states. Currently, there are no laws against purchase, ownership or use of a shock collar in Queensland (QLD), Western Australia (WA) or Tasmania (TAS).'
The restrictions on the use of shock collars within several Australian states require that the dog owner first consult with a qualified veterinarian or dog trainer.
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
3 24 Jan 2011
That so horrible... just beacause of a bark? Maybe the goverment should do that to the roudy.
ReplyQuote

ShockCollars ShockCollars QLD Posts: 1
4 23 Oct 2012
This is a really late reply, but you should definitely contact your Local, State and Federal members of Parliament about having these devices heavily regulated.

Why do I care?

My company used to sell Shock Collars, and stopped when we saw the physical and mental damage done to dogs, as well as the lies spread by retailers.

Read about our experience and our campaign here:

http://www.shockcollars.com.au
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au