Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

A small victory perhaps?

Gary Yourofsky interview sparks interest...

1 - 6 of 6 posts

Chip Chip VIC Posts: 168
1 24 Jan 2011
Well, as much as I hate to say it I'm usually very scared of making people question their beliefs or doings because I'm not the kind of person who can deal with being disliked very well... silly I know but yeah.

Somebody posted this great interview of Gary Youofsky yesterday on Facebook and I thought it was fantastic! So fantastic that I thought I would do something I dared not usually do; send it to my Dad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4&feature=autofb

My Dad is pretty cool about my choice of lifestyle, he doesn't tell me it's wrong or anything but he's a very logical man who simply can't take anything at face value (which is probably a good thing really...). We've had discussions before about it; I told him about why it is exactly I don't agree with meat eating and he seems to understand it. However, he is a big meat eater, he eats his greens but loves his meat, and being a very science-like guy he often tells me very Sam-Neil-like facts about why eating meat is good yadda yadda yadda.

Anyway, I got a very good response from my Dad this morning who... well wasn't exactly jumping right into vegan-world... but he showed a real interest and much better understanding of it all. In fact, he actually wrote to Gary and showed his interest whilst still asking a few questions about some things. As well as this, he downloaded the clip, and offered to show it to anyone who was interested and is hoping to show it to my Step mum.

So, I might not have made a vegan out of him... but I'm really glad that he now is able to both understand more about it and is showing a better interest about it than before. And on top of that, spreading the word. And I think that even if we can't make a veg*n out of every person we know, isn't it better to get people thinking beyond what they're told? ecstatic
ReplyQuote

carinaforkeeps carinaforkeeps NSW Posts: 484
2 24 Jan 2011
Gary Yourofsky = awesome.

Your dad sounds pretty awesome, too. Mine is much less accepting of my veganism.
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
3 24 Jan 2011
carinaforkeeps said:
Gary Yourofsky = awesome.

Your dad sounds pretty awesome, too. Mine is much less accepting of my veganism.
Your dad does sound awesome! My dad calls it "veginism" and will refuse to listen to anything or taste anything. He is stubborn and stuck in his ways and will argue with a grass leaf to pick a fight. happy

So yes its a massive win just to get somebody to listen and understand! Congrats!
ReplyQuote

Pinkhotstar Pinkhotstar QLD Posts: 163
4 25 Jan 2011
I want to marry that man. Thanks for posting that link. He is awesome.
ReplyQuote

EarthDefender EarthDefender QLD Posts: 270
5 25 Jan 2011
Watching this atm! Wow. that is all!
ReplyQuote

EarthDefender EarthDefender QLD Posts: 270
6 25 Jan 2011
EarthDefender said:
Watching this atm! Wow. that is all!
OH my GOSH! I cannot watch the animal cruelty bits! Vegan from now on. completely. I hate people
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au