Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Ve*ganism and School Life

What's your experience?

1 - 10 of 18 posts   1 | 2  

TheSixthStitch TheSixthStitch Aruba Posts: 988
1 30 Jan 2011
To those who go to school, be it primary or secondary school: What's it like being a veg*n while at school?

Are you given a hard time by others, or are you generally left alone?

Assuming there aren't many veg*ns in your year, do you sometimes feel like an outcast, or does it not bother you if you're in the minority?

Are you active at school with your veg*nism, or do you keep it to yourself?

I'd love to hear from people about their experiences, and please don't limit yourself to these questions.

Uni students are also applicable.
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
2 30 Jan 2011
This is my second year out of high school and I got through without any major dramas. I really honestly regret not being more vocal about it though. I think apart from my close circle of friends only a few people knew I was vegan. I was terrified it would come up during class and I'd have everyone's eyes on me and everyone asking questions. : I hate being the centre of attention, I get nauseous.

I did work some animal rights themes into some English work, creative writing etc but my teacher didn't pick up on it or anything. I keep thinking back to all the opportunities I had to get the message out, eg artwork, writing, and I'm kind of hating the fact that I didn't push myself a little more.

My friends are absolutely wonderful. They were understandably curious when I wanted to make the jump from veg to vegan, but they supported me all the way. One of my best friend's mums even cooked for us all on her birthday and made me a whole separate menu and got everything right! She must have done her research, hah. I even got a homemade vegan cake for my 18th and was telling my friends how much I loved them even before we started drinking.

So yeah, I guess I'm lucky enough to have had a positive experience. happy
ReplyQuote

Sarah6277 Sarah6277 VIC Posts: 49
3 30 Jan 2011
I started being vegetarian in yr9 and found it really easy. I go to an all girls school and despite not eating meat or dairy, i escaped any of the "b*thciness". I'm incredibly lucky that the people i go to school with are like one big family so everyone was soooo supportive and were interested to know why - making it easy to be vocal about animals rights and what not. this year i'm going to put leaflets in every homeroom to see how it goes and if people read them. A few of my friends have become vegetarian too seeing how easy it is. Ironically, the hardest thing about going to a school full of meat eaters was getting vegie burgers at bbqs because everyone wanted them instead of the meat(:
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
4 30 Jan 2011
I haven't experienced veganism at school yet. But I found vegetarianism at school hard because my friends were big meat eaters. I'm hoping it will be easier this year, I'm starting at a new school and I only know one person there, so I'll see how it goes.
ReplyQuote

Courtney_1 Courtney_1 VIC Posts: 335
5 30 Jan 2011
It's alright. You just learn how ignorant some people really can be about you being a vegan and how uneducated they are in everything.
Food Tech is compulsory in year 7-8, so I had to do it, but I didn't cook any meat or touch any meat, but I'd work with dairy if I had to, but I tried to avoid it. I'm in year 9 this year, so I didn't choose Food Tech as an elective, but so many kids would ask about what I can eat or how 'awesome' dairy is and why I wouldn't want to consume it.
I usually just tell them that I can eat practically everything they can, except I subsitute it. (Eg, vegie burgers, vegie sausages, soy milk).

My whole class last year knew I was vegan. I've done an oral presentation or two about it at school. tongue
I want to do more this year, so I'll see how it goes, to help the animals! happy
ReplyQuote

taylorpaige taylorpaige SA Posts: 109
6 31 Jan 2011
being vegetarian at school was easy for me, because there are 3 other vegetarians in my year level alone. happy so that's not too bad. though some of the guys are serious meat eaters and like to be dickheads about it and eat meat near me just to piss me off.

tomorrow will be my first day experiencing veganism at school. and i know i'm the only vegan. haha. the retreat i went on gave me an idea of whats to come, because i was a leader for people in my yeasr level. i didn't make a big deal about it, but they all noticed something was different because i had to bring all of my own food.
none of them were rude or anything, but very curious. lots of questions were asked, and i answered each one respectfully. happy i think for a lot of people its kind of a novelty at first because its so different. but i'm the sort of person who won't be swayed by another person's opinion, unless its completely valid. so if any issues were to arise with people judging or teasing me as such, it wouldn't bother me, i don't think.
i would probably just go and tell them to go and enjoy their dead animal flesh whilst it moos at them or something.
haha. tongue

edit: i also forgot to mention that school uniform will be a difficult part.
jumper= wool
compusory blazer(winter) = wool
winter skirt = wool
shoes = leather  
sad
does anyone have any ideas where i can get some non-leather school shoes in adelaide? and not really expensive ones either, because i'm doing year 12 this year and only need them for this year.
i'll already have to deal with wearing the rest of my animal-unfriendly uniform, but if i can at least get shoes that aren't made of dead animal skin, it will make it a little easier.
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
8 31 Jan 2011
taylorpaige said:
being vegetarian at school was easy for me, because there are 3 other vegetarians in my year level alone. happy so that's not too bad. though some of the guys are serious meat eaters and like to be dickheads about it and eat meat near me just to piss me off.

tomorrow will be my first day experiencing veganism at school. and i know i'm the only vegan. haha. the retreat i went on gave me an idea of whats to come, because i was a leader for people in my yeasr level. i didn't make a big deal about it, but they all noticed something was different because i had to bring all of my own food.
none of them were rude or anything, but very curious. lots of questions were asked, and i answered each one respectfully. happy i think for a lot of people its kind of a novelty at first because its so different. but i'm the sort of person who won't be swayed by another person's opinion, unless its completely valid. so if any issues were to arise with people judging or teasing me as such, it wouldn't bother me, i don't think.
i would probably just go and tell them to go and enjoy their dead animal flesh whilst it moos at them or something.
haha. tongue

jumper= wool
winter skirt = wool
shoes = leather  
sad
does anyone have any ideas where i can get some non-leather school shoes in adelaide? and not really expensive ones either, because i'm doing year 12 this year and only need them for this year.
i'll already have to deal with wearing the rest of my animal-unfriendly uniform, but if i can at least get shoes that aren't made of dead animal skin, it will make it a little easier.
Check out the school shoes in Kmart, Target and Payless Shoes. A lot of them will look like leather but if you check the labels 90% of them will be synthetic. They're not expensive enough to be real leather happy
ReplyQuote

taylorpaige taylorpaige SA Posts: 109
9 31 Jan 2011
Kirrilly said:
taylorpaige said:

haha. tongue

jumper= wool
winter skirt = wool
shoes = leather  
sad
Check out the school shoes in Kmart, Target and Payless Shoes. A lot of them will look like leather but if you check the labels 90% of them will be synthetic. They're not expensive enough to be real leather happy
haha, i thought that at first too. x) got a pair from kmart for 5 bucks the other day... got them home and read that they were leather. -_- apparently they use pig leather in places like that and thats why its hell cheap. i didn't even know such a thing existed! but after all, leather is skin, i suppose.
i found some today at payless that were synthetic. i was so happy. happy haha
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
10 1 Feb 2011
I've had some bad experiences, especially at first, and my friends were a little curious as to why I chose to become Vegetarian, then Vegan, but they are very supportive and stick up for me if someone tries to insult me about it.
At the moments, there is this one guy in my form and science class, who for some reason will occasionally hang around me and my friends at lunch (we all find him annoying and never talk to him, so it's kinda weird he'll sit with us some days), who keeps bringing me being a "vegetarian" into everything. I say "vegetarian" because I'm actually Vegan but haven't told many people, and after I finsish typing what this guy says all the time, you'll see why I haven't including him in the people that I've told, so he thinks I'm currently vegetarian.

He brings me not eating meat into EVERYTHING. Seriously, EVERY single topic, he brings it up. One day he squirted us (me and my friends) with water, so I jokingly picked up my water bottle like "I'm gonna squirt you back!" and he says "BUT YOU'RE A VEGETARIAN!" and I just say "what the heck does that have to do with anything?" and he just ignores me.

He'll also things like "What do you eat if you don't eat salad then?!" (One time my friend offered me some of her salad, but I said nah I don't feel like salad, so he assumes I hate salad.) and this morning he was extremely annoying just standing next to me going "Meat meat meat MEAT MEAT MEAT DEAD ANIMAL DEAD DEAD DEAD ANIMAL DYING ON A BURGER STEAK STEAK SAUSAGES BURGER YUM MEAT DEAD ANIMAL" I was seriously considering just punching him and getting a suspension. I ignored him for about 10 minutes, but he kept going (even though my friend was having a go at him) and then he goes "I'm gonna make her crack, she'll end up vomiting and crying!" and continues on saying "MEAT MEAT MEAT" until the bell rang for class. I should add that the conversation that was going on before he said that had nothing to do with food, we were talking about how they are making a movie about the guy who got stuck under a rock and cut his own arm off in order to escape, and he brings up the whole salad thing, then does this. (Sorry if I'm not exactly correct about the story of the guy who cut his arm off, I'm pretty sure he got stuck under a rock but it could have been something else.)

I've just been ignoring him, but nearly ever since we've got back to school (this is ony our second week) he's been doing things like this, and it's really getting annoying. I'd punch him, and as I said, this morning I nearly did, but I'd rather deal with it in a way that I DON'T end up getting suspended.
I'm thinking that if (I say if, but it's most likely) he says something again tomorrow, I'll just say this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0
Though I might change some of the wording so it fits the situation better, it'd be weird if I said "everyone in this entire room" if we were outside, ya know? Oh, and I won't say the thing about point either, that'd be kinda weird, people would probably think I'm a nut, haha.

Does anyone have ideas or ways I can get this guy to stop? I'm thinking about going to one of the teachers, counselors (at our school you can talk to them about anything, and if it's something like bullying, which this is, i guess, they do something about it) or even the deputy or principal. I'd rather not have to go through all that just to get this guy to stop though, so any advice is welcome! Sorry for the long post, btw!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au