Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Mini Chol?

1 - 10 of 17 posts   1 | 2  


ofsalad ofsalad VIC Posts: 17
1 9 Feb 2011
I'm sure you all get this a lot, but curiosity has gotten the better of me- would anyone happen to know if the ingredients have changed recently? My mother went to a Greek deli on the weekend and came back with a soy-based cheese branded as "Soybean Cheese (Mini Chol)- product of Sweden". The ingredients listed are: Coagulated non-fat soy milk bean, sunflower vegetable oil, salt, non-animal rennet (E5090), sodium nitrate (E251), natamycin (E235), potassium sorbate (E202).

I did a google search and I'm told those are all vegan ingredients. I'm a little confused though as my lactose-intolerant stepfather has been eating mini-chol for years and past inspections of the label indicated the inclusion of casien.
ReplyQuote

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
2 9 Feb 2011
Damn Mini Chol, it was vegan once. I feel too scorned to see if they've decided to take out the casein to have checked again. I shall have a look today.
ReplyQuote

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
3 9 Feb 2011
ofsalad said:
I did a google search and I'm told those are all vegan ingredients. I'm a little confused though as my lactose-intolerant stepfather has been eating mini-chol for years and past inspections of the label indicated the inclusion of casien.
Alrighty, a check of the mini chol cheese in the deli states that the first ingredient is Coagulated Non-Fat Milk. I think it sorta used to be suitable (if thats possible, haha) for lactose intolerate people because what made it non-vegan was casein rather than having it completely made from milk. Now it looks like they're just going the whole way.

Pfft.  angry
ReplyQuote

ofsalad ofsalad VIC Posts: 17
4 10 Feb 2011
Woe. It would be nice to see a list of consistent ingredients from mini-chol. I think I'll stick with the tofutti/cheezly. happy
Odd that they're just doing away with the whole 'soy-based dairy-free' thing though. Seems to very much defeat the purpose.
ReplyQuote

JayT JayT VIC Posts: 525
5 15 Feb 2011
ofsalad said:
The ingredients listed are: Coagulated non-fat soy milk bean, sunflower vegetable oil, salt, non-animal rennet (E5090), sodium nitrate (E251), natamycin (E235), potassium sorbate (E202).
I checked today and those are the ingredients listed, except you worded one part wrong, it says coagulated non-fat milk soy bean (you said soy milk bean), so I'm wondering if it just means soy milk bean (as you said) or it means milk then the next ingredient is soy bean. Also I didn't see casein which means they removed it!
ReplyQuote

Ron Ron NSW Posts: 233
6 15 Feb 2011
Are there different brands of Mini Chol because the ones I looked at in Coles yesterday were definitely made from dairy milk?
ReplyQuote

JayT JayT VIC Posts: 525
7 15 Feb 2011
I've never seen it in Coles.
It said it was from the UK, the label was yellow, and the word Mini-Chol was in blue. If that helps at all.
ReplyQuote

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
8 15 Feb 2011
Jordan.- said:
ofsalad said:
The ingredients listed are: Coagulated non-fat soy milk bean, sunflower vegetable oil, salt, non-animal rennet (E5090), sodium nitrate (E251), natamycin (E235), potassium sorbate (E202).
I checked today and those are the ingredients listed, except you worded one part wrong, it says coagulated non-fat milk soy bean (you said soy milk bean), so I'm wondering if it just means soy milk bean (as you said) or it means milk then the next ingredient is soy bean. Also I didn't see casein which means they removed it!
There's definitely a comma between the Non-Fat Milk and Soya Bean on the ones that I have looked at.

There's probably not a lot of point stressing over cheese that apparently keeps changing its ingredients when there are proven vegan cheeses on the market.
ReplyQuote

JayT JayT VIC Posts: 525
9 16 Feb 2011
kimberleyfrancess said:
There's definitely a comma between the Non-Fat Milk and Soya Bean on the ones that I have looked at.

There's probably not a lot of point stressing over cheese that apparently keeps changing its ingredients when there are proven vegan cheeses on the market.
I haven't really found a vegan cheese that I'm fond of, so if this was vegan it would be another for me to try. Plus they sell it just down the road from me.
Just wish they had damn contact information.
ReplyQuote

ofsalad ofsalad VIC Posts: 17
10 16 Feb 2011
Jordan.- said:
ofsalad said:
The ingredients listed are: Coagulated non-fat soy milk bean, sunflower vegetable oil, salt, non-animal rennet (E5090), sodium nitrate (E251), natamycin (E235), potassium sorbate (E202).
I checked today and those are the ingredients listed, except you worded one part wrong, it says coagulated non-fat milk soy bean (you said soy milk bean), so I'm wondering if it just means soy milk bean (as you said) or it means milk then the next ingredient is soy bean. Also I didn't see casein which means they removed it!
I typed then ingredients out exactly as they were listed on the label. Could it perhaps be a hybrid dairy-milk/ soy-milk base? I'd love a contact number just to have some clarification. Such varied ingredients for the one product!
kimberleyfrancess- you do have a very valid point there! happy
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au