Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Pregnant women and tofutti cream cheese?

is it safe for pregnant women to eat tofutti cream cheese?

1 - 8 of 8 posts

Tracey Tracey QLD Posts: 127
1 10 Feb 2011
I know this may sound silly as tofutti better than cream cheese isn't actually cheese, but i was thinking of making something to take to my pregnant friends place and want to make sure its safe for her to eat! I know that milk cheeses that are soft can be unsafe for pregnant women. If anyone can help me with this that would be lovley!
ReplyQuote

Maisy Mouse Maisy Mouse NSW Posts: 3
2 10 Feb 2011
I'm pretty sure it would be fine as the problem is listeria which is found on soft cheese (among other things). I ate plenty of soy when I was pregnant and it was ok.

"High risk foods include ready-to-eat seafood, such as smoked fish or mussels, raw seafood including sushi and sashimi, premixed raw vegetables including coleslaw, precooked meats such as pate, deli meat and cooked chicken, unpasteurised milk, soft-serve icecreams and soft cheeses like brie, camembert and ricotta" (from the Victorian gov health website)

If you are really worried maybe you can make something without tofutti?
ReplyQuote

Tracey Tracey QLD Posts: 127
3 10 Feb 2011
thanks for the reply- i guess that as the ingredients are so different it would probably be ok (i am going to stuff some dates with the tofutti). i had a look at some baby websites and they said that philadelphia cream cheese is ok so tofutti surely should be. happy
ReplyQuote

Ellim Ellim United Kingdom Posts: 480
4 10 Feb 2011
It's only unpasteurised soft cheeses that are the problem.  Tofutti is fine because it doesn't contain any of the nasties found in unpasturised cheese, and I think the risk of listeria is probably extremely low - if at all.

Ohh...  are you going to mix a little bit of cinnamon or nutmeg or something into it before stuffing the dates?  That would be delicious.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
5 10 Feb 2011
Maisy Mouse said:
I'm pretty sure it would be fine as the problem is listeria which is found on soft cheese (among other things). I ate plenty of soy when I was pregnant and it was ok.

"High risk foods include ready-to-eat seafood, such as smoked fish or mussels, raw seafood including sushi and sashimi, premixed raw vegetables including coleslaw, precooked meats such as pate, deli meat and cooked chicken, unpasteurised milk, soft-serve icecreams and soft cheeses like brie, camembert and ricotta" (from the Victorian gov health website)

Wow, never looked into it, but it wouldn't be hard for a vegan to avoid those things!
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
6 10 Feb 2011
I posted a similar question the other day - is there anything vegan women shouldn't eat whilst pregnant... basically you need to stay away from seafood, cheese, a lot of meat, most dairy, sushi.... all the things we don't eat anyway lol

So answer me this - why are omnis all "you should eat meat!!" but then when they are pregnant they are advised to stay away from it all? Ha!
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
7 10 Feb 2011
RaV3N said:
I posted a similar question the other day - is there anything vegan women shouldn't eat whilst pregnant... basically you need to stay away from seafood, cheese, a lot of meat, most dairy, sushi.... all the things we don't eat anyway lol

So answer me this - why are omnis all "you should eat meat!!" but then when they are pregnant they are advised to stay away from it all? Ha!
I think you hit the nail on the head, Ravy! Ignorance is bliss, right? wink
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
8 11 Feb 2011
Maisy Mouse said:

Anyone the least bit surprised that the list Maisy provided of "high risk foods" contained a heap of animal products?
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au