Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

ADF Gap year

Thoughts on spending a year at an army reserve

1 - 10 of 21 posts   1 | 2 | 3  


Shorty Shorty QLD Posts: 479
1 12 Feb 2011
So while researching for my art piece, I came across the Australian defense force website and was curious as to what it would be like to spend my gap year with the army.

I have no clue as to what I want to do when I leave school and I'm open to any ideas atm. I've also always wanted to be a sniper (apparently I can't because I'm female -__-) and while I don't want to be stuck in the army for years, I'd kinda like to experience the change in lifestyle. From what i've read, I would only be required to serve 12 months and I could then leave and get a job afterward once I've decided what I want to do.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience about the adf gap year? And would it be possible to be vegan in the army?
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
2 12 Feb 2011
i have always much preferred the sound of the navy
Probably because i love RUSH haha, im sure life on a navy boat, isnt exactly like that though  tongue
ReplyQuote

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
3 12 Feb 2011
Shorty said:
So while researching for my art piece, I came across the Australian defense force website and was curious as to what it would be like to spend my gap year with the army.

I have no clue as to what I want to do when I leave school and I'm open to any ideas atm. I've also always wanted to be a sniper (apparently I can't because I'm female -__-) and while I don't want to be stuck in the army for years, I'd kinda like to experience the change in lifestyle. From what i've read, I would only be required to serve 12 months and I could then leave and get a job afterward once I've decided what I want to do.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience about the adf gap year? And would it be possible to be vegan in the army?
I actually considered this when I was in Year 12 but then as I was already vegan I had realised that the Army or Navy would not be overly accommodating regarding that and I sure wasn't going to be eating any animal products because of my 'job'.

Also, i don't agree with the killing of any animal for any reason so would I kill another soldier if the situation called for it?
ReplyQuote

Shorty Shorty QLD Posts: 479
4 12 Feb 2011
jack said:
i have always much preferred the sound of the navy
Probably because i love RUSH haha, im sure life on a navy boat, isnt exactly like that though  tongue
haha I would prefer the air force... but I like guns tongue lol the navy has never appealed to me, but then again i don't watch rush.
ReplyQuote

Shorty Shorty QLD Posts: 479
5 12 Feb 2011
kimberleyfrancess said:
Also, i don't agree with the killing of any animal for any reason so would I kill another soldier if the situation called for it?
I think a lot of vegans would think that way.. I'm just messed up. I don't really have a problem with humans dying unless I know them. But then again, I don't know how I'd actually handle taking a life. Guess I wont ever know unless I'm faced with that decision.
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
6 12 Feb 2011
Shorty said:
So while researching for my art piece, I came across the Australian defense force website and was curious as to what it would be like to spend my gap year with the army.

I have no clue as to what I want to do when I leave school and I'm open to any ideas atm. I've also always wanted to be a sniper (apparently I can't because I'm female -__-) and while I don't want to be stuck in the army for years, I'd kinda like to experience the change in lifestyle. From what i've read, I would only be required to serve 12 months and I could then leave and get a job afterward once I've decided what I want to do.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience about the adf gap year? And would it be possible to be vegan in the army?
Yeah, they don't allow many girls on the front line and if they do its quite rare. Personally, I wouldn't take a job with them that involves being in the battle lines- I have anxiety as it is so I don't think I'd be mentally fit enough haha. Being an engineer or mechanic for them would take my interest, even the first aid- pretty much anything that is away from the battle lines.

If you don't have your license, they will teach you for free ecstatic Its pretty epic. And they money you get from it too is absolutely amazing. I have a friend who is enroled and has been for the past 5 years, most of his life he was sleeping in a car and only got through school off government funds..now he owns a house in Canada and in Australia. Its amazing.
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
7 13 Feb 2011
i meant sea patrol... LOL
i love rush too though haha
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
8 13 Feb 2011
I would personally go for it if I really wanted to. My partner wanted to join the airforce as a fighter pilot when we started dating, but he decided against it at the point because he wanted to focus on us as a couple happy I've been trying to get him to go for it again.

Nothing wrong with serving your country, and you get great benefits for it too!
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
9 13 Feb 2011
I've been considering doing this because of the money, it'd help uni sooo much with all that money. But ahh i hate too much disipline and i really hate war lol.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
10 13 Feb 2011
Callum said:
I've been considering doing this because of the money, it'd help uni sooo much with all that money. But ahh i hate too much disipline and i really hate war lol.
You can do so much in the army, depending on what you want to do they will actually pay for your degree, or put you through an apprenticeship.

IE: boilermaker, musicians, chefs, mechanic, carpenter, electrician...
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au