Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Kill your pet!

Otherwise we'll fine you and kill it ourselves.

1 - 10 of 13 posts   1 | 2  

Chip Chip VIC Posts: 168
1 19 Feb 2011
Well, I didn't think I'd write about this on here because there's already enough negativity in the threads and I didn't want to add to it, but I'm VERY annoyed and upset by this and thought I'd share it just to show how animals are treated so poorly.

My Dad lives in Traralgon South in Victoria, which is a very small town just off of Traralgon itself with a population of about 300... techincally, this town would be considered rural. We have had a rooster and about 8 chooks living there for a year or two now, at the time be clearly never even thought that we wouldn't be allowed to have them because we have a relatively big lot there and with it being rural and all. This rooster is a road island red, and when he was younger decided to steal food from my Great Dane who in turn took a swipe at the rooster leaving him blind in one eye, because of this the rooster had to be given a pain killer which would last for about a year... this was of course about a year ago and we believe that he began to crow because of the pain and also became more aggressive after being bit at by the dog.

Last Friday we recieved a call from the Traralgon council telling us that they recieved an anonymous complaint about the rooster making too much noise. We were told that we would be given 2 weeks from the arrival date of the offical letter to either get rid of him (in other words, kill him because nobody wants a one-eyed, aggressive rooster) or they will fine us $900 and kill him themselves.

We are still unsure who the complaint came from but at this stage our highest priority is to find a home for Bo (the rooster) otherwise our only other option is to get him put down (eating him is no option because he is a family pet!).

We were also told by the council that we are living in an URBAN community, meaning we were never allowed to have him in the first place (of course, we are NOT urban... but if somebody has made a complaint they can twist any old fact) and that we are not even allowed to have more than 5 poultry.

The whole family is extremely angry about this. I mean... is this what it really has to come to? The council being the decider of an animal's life simply because somebody can't stand a bit of crowing THAT COULD HAVE BEEN RESOLVED if the problem were discussed with the neighbours? It's wrong!! Bo is our pet!! If somebody complained about somebody's dog barking... would they force the owner of that dog to put him down within two weeks? I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be the case.

I don't want to plead but if ANYBODY knows of a good home within Gippsland that will happily take a poor rooster (he's a very beautiful rooster!) - we're even happy to pay! it's going to cost us $60 just to put him down anyway... or $900 from the council for them to put him down.  bye
ReplyQuote

Pinkhotstar Pinkhotstar QLD Posts: 163
2 19 Feb 2011
Hey, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with the stupid council. I'm not in that area, we're the other side of Geelong, but if you get desperate, I don't see why we can't take him for you. I'd have to check with the rest of the family, but it should be ok, as we just adopted two bantams from Edgars mission. If you still need a home message me or email me, .
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen Australia Posts: 993
3 19 Feb 2011
Unleashed Admin
That's so sad, Chip! sad And so mean!! I can't believe someone would go straight to the council rather than talking to your family first. THEY ought to be the ones relocated from the neighbourhood!

sad

I really hope you find a good home for him. Have you tried posting on other web forums / facebook pages too? If you have a pic of him, please share too. Good luck.

love
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen Australia Posts: 993
4 19 Feb 2011
Unleashed Admin
Pinkhotstar said:
Hey, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with the stupid council. I'm not in that area, we're the other side of Geelong, but if you get desperate, I don't see why we can't take him for you. I'd have to check with the rest of the family, but it should be ok, as we just adopted two bantams from Edgars mission. If you still need a home message me or email me, .
clap
ReplyQuote

5 19 Feb 2011
Pinkhotstar said:
Thanks so much! At this stage we've got two weeks so I'm doing some asking around first, my Mum has plenty of friends who own chooks... but I can't guarentee they'll take him so we'll see. Even my Mum has offered to take him although she has a rooster already... but that would be last resort. But thanks so much for your offer!! As I said... we're even willing to PAY somebody to take him so I'll keep you in mind, thanks again!!

Karen said:
That's so sad, Chip! sad And so mean!! I can't believe someone would go straight to the council rather than talking to your family first. THEY ought to be the ones relocated from the neighbourhood!

sad

I really hope you find a good home for him. Have you tried posting on other web forums / facebook pages too? If you have a pic of him, please share too. Good luck.

love
And I can't agree with you more Karen, haha! We're not exactly close with our neighbours but they've always seemed alright. Once one of the chooks walked into the neighbours kitchen and they just thought it was funny! Haha! But sadly they're the ones that we're predicting complained.

As my Dad said, if they had just spoke with us first we could have come to an agreement. I mean we've have the chooks for about two years and nobody has ever complained so we thought that they were okay with it... if they'd have just told us then we would know!
ReplyQuote

6 19 Feb 2011
Oh! And I forgot to mention that we're going to be sending a big, fat complaint letter to the council... so hopefully we'll get some feedback from that too. wink
ReplyQuote

7 19 Feb 2011
Gah! I forgot to share the picture, I'm trying to find one on my computers at the moment because I'm not home, but I'll post one ASAP.
ReplyQuote

8 19 Feb 2011
Okay here's the picture, I just had my Step Sister take the picture for me, haha! http://www.unleashed.org.au/community/photo.php?&owner=75432&img=3551
ReplyQuote

ecochick ecochick SA Posts: 214
9 19 Feb 2011
Can't you talk to your neighbours and ask them to withdraw the complaint? then you could resolve it and your poor rooster wouldn't have to be put dowm sad
ReplyQuote

10 19 Feb 2011
ecochick said:
Can't you talk to your neighbours and ask them to withdraw the complaint? then you could resolve it and your poor rooster wouldn't have to be put dowm sad
That's a good point that I hadn't thought of but there's two problems that could... or more likely will stop that from working:

1. The council now know that we own a rooster in what they consider a "urban" area (which is utter bull-crap) so even if they did withdraw their complaint... the council will still want to be a pain in the arse and make us remove him.

2. We don't actually know WHO sent the complaint... we have an idea of who it MAY be... but we're currently on 'alright' terms with our neighbours... and the family we suspect is the culpret is...well... quite nutty to say the least.

Thanks for your help though, either way we're still sending a big fat letter to the council about all this so... we can only hope for the best.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au