Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

I swore i would never date a meat-eater :(

... but he does.

1 - 10 of 42 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  

Becatron Becatron QLD Posts: 152
1 10 Mar 2011
So I swore to myself that I would never date a meat-eater because i simply couldn't live with knowing that my family supports animal cruelty.

But my boyfriend does sad It was a hard decision, but I really really like him sad
It's kind of annoying though because i told myself i wouldn't. I'd love him to convert to the healthier lifestyle, but don't want him to get annoyed by my preaching ...

What have you done in this situation?
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
2 10 Mar 2011
I haven't been in this situation yet, but it will happen, chances of finding a vegetarian let alone vegan boyfriend is pretty slim. I can see how it might create tension but at the same time you get to be a good influence on him and he might listen to you more than some random on the street.

*I would imagine in this situation that he would have to brush his teeth and use mouthwash if he wanted to kiss me after eating
*if we lived together he's be in charge of cooking his own food if he wants meat/animal, then that would bring up the issue of the grocery bill... because I wouldn't pay for the meat

and that's about all i got
ReplyQuote

Imaginary Product Imaginary Product NSW Posts: 142
3 10 Mar 2011
Dietry choices are just like anything else in a relationship.  You don't find it ideal that he eats meat - you just have to listen to your heart and your head and decide if that is a deal breaker or not.  It's the same with any problem people encounter in relationships, you might not like each others friends, have the mother-in-law from hell, get annoyed by the other persons personal habits, have hobbies the other person doesnt like etc etc.  You just have to weigh up the positives with the negatives.

Personally I would date a meat eater as long as they respected me, were willing to share meals with me sometimes and supported my choice.  It's really the same with anything - you want the support of a loving partner
ReplyQuote

chibangers chibangers NT Posts: 5
4 10 Mar 2011
My boyfriend eats meat too. He's been eating less of it though since we started dating. We've had a few fights on the subject... On valentines day this year, he asked me at dinner if he should order chicken or veal and then wondered why I was pissed off for the rest of the night.

Instead of dumping him, I compromised and set down some "rules" (for lack of a better word), e.g. I won't kiss you after you've been eating meat or icecream, don't buy me chocolate, don't ask me what sort of meat you should eat for dinner. I occassionally bring dinner or desert over when I visit him so that dinner is less of a carnivore/vegan standoff.
ReplyQuote

5 10 Mar 2011
Lars said:
I haven't been in this situation yet, but it will happen, chances of finding a vegetarian let alone vegan boyfriend is pretty slim. I can see how it might create tension but at the same time you get to be a good influence on him and he might listen to you more than some random on the street.

*I would imagine in this situation that he would have to brush his teeth and use mouthwash if he wanted to kiss me after eating
*if we lived together he's be in charge of cooking his own food if he wants meat/animal, then that would bring up the issue of the grocery bill... because I wouldn't pay for the meat

and that's about all i got
Okay. Thank you! I do ask him to brush his teeth after eat animal products sometimes ... But i think I'll have to ask him to do it more often.

I definately will not be using my money to buy his meat, etc, if we live together. So .. Mmm..

I just wish he would realise sad
ReplyQuote

Catyren Catyren WA Posts: 542
6 10 Mar 2011
i think it's a tough decision. finding another veg(etari)an who shares your interests and values is obviously ideal but since when has this world been ideal? chances are that the person you're going to fall for is going to eat meat so i'd say just set ground rules like 'no kissing after them having consumed meat etc', '(if living together) they pay for their animal products, cook them themselves and use different cook ware.', 'you won't try to force them not to eat meat etc'
I think i probably will end up dating a meat eater at some point, so as long as they respect my choices and the ground rules then i'm sure it will be fine. However, if they ever tried to 'convert' me back to eating meat then they're out the door. No exceptions.
ReplyQuote

7 10 Mar 2011
Catyren said:
If they ever tried to 'convert' me back to eating meat then they're out the door. No exceptions.
Haha. I completely agree. My bf's sister is vegan, so he understands it pretty well. He accepts my beliefs, so hopefully it goes well.
ReplyQuote

Taxidermied Baphomet Taxidermied Baphomet NSW Posts: 292
8 10 Mar 2011
In the end it really is up to you how you react, take it and deal with it.  If you cant stand meaty breath after he eats, ask him to brush his teeth (nicely ofcourse), if it dosnt bother you that he kisses you after eating meat, well thats ok too, up to you.

Best thing to do is not burden them with why they should be vegetarian or vegan, but make them aware of your thoughts here and there about why you are, and what you think about the world around you.

I guess the bottom line is, no one likes to be pushed into being one way or another, it has to be them that makes the choice in the end. And it's up to you on what you can take and not take from him being a meat-eater... remember this is the rest of your life.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
9 10 Mar 2011
Me and my partner have been together for 4 years in May, we've lived together for this entire time. No meat/dairy products are kept in the house, and he makes an effort to choose more ethical/eco/vege options where he can, this doesn't stop him from eating a pepperoni pizza if we go out (uggh) or some kind of meat, but in the end that's his decision.

He's really good about it, accepts my choices, and I accept his (although I dislike them)

It works both ways when it comes to 'converting' if you wouldn't accept them trying to get you to eat meat, don't push them to do your thing - if you can't do it, don't date a meat eater.
ReplyQuote

Catyren Catyren WA Posts: 542
10 10 Mar 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Me and my partner have been together for 4 years in May, we've lived together for this entire time. No meat/dairy products are kept in the house, and he makes an effort to choose more ethical/eco/vege options where he can, this doesn't stop him from eating a pepperoni pizza if we go out (uggh) or some kind of meat, but in the end that's his decision.

He's really good about it, accepts my choices, and I accept his (although I dislike them)

It works both ways when it comes to 'converting' if you wouldn't accept them trying to get you to eat meat, don't push them to do your thing - if you can't do it, don't date a meat eater.
I agree, if you try to make them go veg then they're just going to back up and fight you. Respect their choice and in the end they'll probably become more open to your lifestyle anyway.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au