Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

I swore i would never date a meat-eater :(

... but he does.

11 - 20 of 42 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
11 10 Mar 2011
I can't tell you anything from experience (Ahem. Only had one boyfriend. Ahem. Been single for over a year Dhappy, but from what I've heard on Unleashed, the majority of vegan-omni relationships result in the meat eater either gradually reducing their meat intake/going veg or the relationship ending. Either way, it's not the end of the world.
happy Good luck, don't worry too much about it and I hope he makes you happy. ^.^
ReplyQuote

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
12 10 Mar 2011
My boyfriend was working at his family-owned butcher shop when we first started dating. We did a lot of cooking together initially and it just made sense that the food would be vegan so that we could both eat it. Fiveish years later he's vegan and there's no animal products in our house.

If my situation were different, I don't think I could date a carnist either. It would already be an 'issue' between us that I don't think we could work through because I would feel he was less compassionate than I would hope. AND because I feel so strongly about it, I doubt he would want to be with me either.

Change definitely begins with the person. If someone isn't ready to accept a different way of life or thinking, no amount of 'preaching' is going to change them. Also, good relationship doesn't involve preaching but acceptance of the other person regardless of what they believe.
ReplyQuote

Welsh Welsh VIC Posts: 61
13 11 Mar 2011
I think it really depends on the person. I never really thought about dating full stop, let alone whether the person I would date would be a meat-eater.
Anyway, my first boyfriend was a meat-eater, and he respects my decision entirely. When we go out to eat, he will often choose a meat-free dish. I got him into the veggie patty subs at subway lol.

I think it works for both of us really. I know he'll never go vegan though. Cheese is the second love of his life (here's hoping i'm the first lol). Seriously... you do not understand how much he loves cheese.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
14 13 Mar 2011
I know what it's like!

I was with my ex for 5 years and he ate meat with every meal! I think it depends where you draw the line. With me it's not cooking meat for them and also for them to at least try vegan restaurants and taking me there for special occasions is a must.

When I broke up with him I vowed I wouldn't date another meat eater, but then I fell in love with one! My new man is different in that he actually acknowledges animal cruelty and realises how unhealthy meat/dairy is. He still eats meat but we always have vegan meals together at home. He also loves vegan restaurants!

We also just moved in together and did our first big grocery shop. I asked him if he wanted meat and he said he prefers my veg food! happy

I guess by dismissing an omni partner you are potentially preventing one from becoming veg! wink
ReplyQuote

Aimee Aimee VIC Posts: 957
15 13 Mar 2011
My boyfriend eats meat and I don't let it bother me. He doesn't eat it around me and now has more vegetarian/vegan foods in his life because of my influence.
He's just not the kind of person to go vegan, and I accept that is just not a change his brain can make. Not everyone has the capacity for such change imo.
What matters is that he's a good person and he's good to me. Meat eaters can be good/compassionate people too!
ReplyQuote

danhosk danhosk SA Posts: 4
16 14 Mar 2011
its pretty much because of an ex girlfriend i was with for a few years that i became vegetarian, and now vegan so a veg person dating a meat eater can have a good positive effect on what we all know is a good lifestyle to live!
ReplyQuote

psychokitten psychokitten QLD Posts: 340
17 14 Mar 2011
My husband eats meat, he says its not much but it is, almost every meal.
I tried to get him to watch Earthlings last night, he said he didn't have to, that he already knew.  But if he knows, how is he not vegan?
I'm sad now that he's obviously not as compassionate as I thought he was.
I don't know if I can help anyone with being with a meat eater, I'm struggling with it a lot at the moment.
It's not even about being vegan or not, its the complete lack of compassion...
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
18 15 Mar 2011
psychokitten said:
I tried to get him to watch Earthlings last night, he said he didn't have to, that he already knew.  But if he knows, how is he not vegan?
I don't know if I can help anyone with being with a meat eater, I'm struggling with it a lot at the moment.
I hear you. My ex was like that. He ate meat with every meal and didn't care less about veg*n and never wanted to hear about animals used in food production (not that I preached either). He used some vegan products but would never even try a completely vegan meal.

I guess that was another reason I broke up with him. I think it's one thing to be with an omnivore but without compassion it really makes you question who they are as a person.

Were you vegan when you started dating or after you were married?
ReplyQuote

Randomz Randomz United States Posts: 14
19 15 Mar 2011
I was asked by my gf to watch earthlings..
i use to be a meat lover but after watching that i dont think im a fan anymore
ReplyQuote

Chewie Chewie NSW Posts: 521
20 15 Mar 2011
psychokitten said:
I understand where you're coming from. My boyfriend is a meat eater. I've shown him the videos, so he knows what goes on, but I know he'll never be vegan. That has gotten to me before, and I've often asked myself -- how can he not care about something that is SO awful?

However, something someone said to me the other day made me realise it's not necessarily about a lack of compassion. A friend posted up a slaughterhouse video and said how horrible it was that the animals were treated that way... But that he didn't think boycotting meat was the answer, as the animal was already dead when he ate it and he can't physically stop the process of how it got there himself, which is true. He wanted for there to be better laws and more stringent standards detailing how the animals are treated and kept, because he didn't have a problem with eating animals for food but had a problem with the cruelty. While I evidently have different views on this, he did have a point, and it just shows that being a meat eater doesn't mean you lack compassion. Some of the nicest, most compassionate people I know eat meat. My boyfriend is one of those people too. People have different callings and different passions, and while I wish everyone was passionate about animal rights, not everyone is, and not everyone feels you need to stop eating meat to care for animal welfare.

Having said that, I think if your partner loves you and respects your beliefs, there's no need to let them being a meat eater destroy a great relationship (or prevent a potentially great relationship from forming). Typically, meat eaters who date a vegetarian or vegan do eat less meat (my boyfriend only cooks vegan at home, unless I'm eating out), and any less meat consumed is an improvement.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au