Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

I swore i would never date a meat-eater :(

... but he does.

21 - 30 of 42 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
21 15 Mar 2011
I just have to add my point..... vegan dudes can be just as bigger DICKS as any other guy. In fact be more cautious about them because they seem so innocently compassionate on the outside... but they still think through their genitals.
ReplyQuote

Little_Kitty Little_Kitty United Kingdom Posts: 376
22 15 Mar 2011
ive been fighting more and more with the boy about eating meat...especially cause he eats factory farmed meat. because im working to stop factory farming, and he's supporting it so i find it a conflict of interests. So there has been quite a bit of yelling and tears of lately...im actually moving out cause everytime i see him eat factory farmed meat i stop loving him a little bit. Is that bad?
ReplyQuote

Chewie Chewie NSW Posts: 521
23 15 Mar 2011
Sorry to hear that sad How long have you been together? Were you veg/vegan before you started dating? If it's a relationship that is otherwise great and this is the only thing that's causing a significant problem, then would sitting him down and gently explaining why you are upset over factory farmed meat help at all? It certainly doesn't help to argue or get angry at them (so I've learned), or make them change, but I think if he was at least able to buy more 'ethical' meat, it could be a happy medium? If you love him and things have otherwise been great, would moving out be the best option?

Pigs are one of my favourite animals and I know first hand how adorable and intelligent they are... After I'd spent a lot of time with them, I would cry whenever I'd see my boyfriend eat pig (so I understand where you're coming from!). I realise now that I shouldn't have reacted that way and I was probably a little irrational, but we've reached an unspoken medium where he now doesn't eat pig in front of me (and I don't think he eats it much at all). We adapted at home without even talking about it, and only vegan food is cooked in most circumstances, so it can work fine. He knows how much I deeply care about animals, and he respects that, so I know I shouldn't cause arguments and try and change him. But we can help them make informed, more ethical choices.
ReplyQuote

Val Val NSW Posts: 339
24 15 Mar 2011
Little_Kitty said:
ive been fighting more and more with the boy about eating meat...especially cause he eats factory farmed meat. because im working to stop factory farming, and he's supporting it so i find it a conflict of interests. So there has been quite a bit of yelling and tears of lately...im actually moving out cause everytime i see him eat factory farmed meat i stop loving him a little bit. Is that bad?
I think I'd feel the exact same if I ever had a boyfriend who supported it sadsad
ReplyQuote

Becatron Becatron QLD Posts: 152
25 15 Mar 2011
Little_Kitty said:
So do I sad

My boyfriend has watched Earthlings, and still doesn't think any different. He says he doesn't like animal cruelty, but not eating meat isn't going to help ... i feel so ... ugghh. I don't know.

I'm very confused now as to what to do ... I think that dating him is going against my beliefs to animal rights, but i really like him ... sad

Should I just ... try and find someone with the same beliefs as me? or stick? sad I know its probably not the best idea to be asking people who don't know him, or me .. but sad

Why is life so difficult!!!! grrr..
ReplyQuote

Chewie Chewie NSW Posts: 521
26 15 Mar 2011
Becatron said:
Little_Kitty said:
So do I sad

My boyfriend has watched Earthlings, and still doesn't think any different. He says he doesn't like animal cruelty, but not eating meat isn't going to help ... i feel so ... ugghh. I don't know.

I'm very confused now as to what to do ... I think that dating him is going against my beliefs to animal rights, but i really like him ... sad

Should I just ... try and find someone with the same beliefs as me? or stick? sad I know its probably not the best idea to be asking people who don't know him, or me .. but sad

Why is life so difficult!!!! grrr..
Do what you think is right. I know it can be hard sometimes, but him eating meat does not mean he is not compassionate. I'm a vegan but even I don't necessarily think that me solely not eating meat is making a huge difference to the world, but it's more that I refuse to support the cruelty (so I can see where he is coming from).

In an ideal world, it would be great to date someone who is a vegan, but honestly, if you're compatible and you really like him, then stick with it. He will probably end up eating much less meat because you're with him too. I love my boyfriend and even though I do wish that he'd have the same beliefs as me, I don't let it cause issues because I know that there's no one else in the world I'd rather be with.
ReplyQuote

psychokitten psychokitten QLD Posts: 340
27 15 Mar 2011
ckimana said:
psychokitten said:
My husband eats meat, he says its not much but it is, almost every meal.
I tried to get him to watch Earthlings last night, he said he didn't have to, that he already knew.  But if he knows, how is he not vegan?
I'm sad now that he's obviously not as compassionate as I thought he was.
I don't know if I can help anyone with being with a meat eater, I'm struggling with it a lot at the moment.
It's not even about being vegan or not, its the complete lack of compassion...
I hear you. My ex was like that. He ate meat with every meal and didn't care less about veg*n and never wanted to hear about animals used in food production (not that I preached either). He used some vegan products but would never even try a completely vegan meal.

I guess that was another reason I broke up with him. I think it's one thing to be with an omnivore but without compassion it really makes you question who they are as a person.

Were you vegan when you started dating or after you were married?
I've been pescetarian or vegetarian the whole time we've known each other but only vegan the last few months and we've been married almost three years. It's particularly hard because we're not living together (I'm waiting on a visa) and I can't cook for him and show how easy it is.
He's very understanding and supportive, I have hope that we'll be able to live peacefully together.
My favourite animal is the cow, he's offered to give up cows (he's not a fan of beef) I pointed out that "baby cows die when you drink milk" he then realised that would mean all cheeses too... So, it sounds like maybe he's at least thinking about it...?
And we talked about not telling me what he's eaten etc, so I'm feeling better today about it, I do think I'll be able to have a positive influence on his eating habits, even if he won't label himself "vegan"
I do want our kids to be at least 99.99% vegan, but if he feels the need to allow them to at least try something then I guess we'll see.
ReplyQuote

Shorty Shorty QLD Posts: 479
28 15 Mar 2011
I wouldn't worry about only dating veg*ns. I dont think what they eat should affect how you feel about them. Sure if the person hated animals, or just treated them like shit, I wouldn't even consider going out with them.

I've only met like 10 veg*ns in my life. None of them my age. I already have trouble getting boyfriends, if I excluded the meat eating type, I'd have no chance.

I actually just started going out with some guy. Sure he ate meat but I know he is a great guy. After talking to him today, I found out he was watching earthlings and wishes he was vegan. Apparently he just convinced his mum to let him be vegetarian. How lucky am I happy

If you like the guy, give him a chance. You might be surprised.
ReplyQuote

Mismunandi Mismunandi QLD Posts: 3
29 16 Mar 2011
I don't think you should not be with someone because they don't live like you! I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years and only recently turned vegetarian, he was sceptical at first but accepts it without question now, and is happy for me to cook him vegetarian meals/snacks.

It could just be about setting some rules, because he can't know how to make you happy if you don't give him a couple of tips. Make sure he knows that you don't feel right cooking/touching/buying meat, and that you don't drink milk or eat specific foods because they are derived from animals (which he may not know).

It seems fair that for you not to judge him for his choices, as long as he accepts yours willingly happy
ReplyQuote

ShadowDoubt ShadowDoubt QLD Posts: 753
30 16 Mar 2011
I think it'd be gross to kiss someone after they've been eating meat, but that's just me tongue
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au