Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

I swore i would never date a meat-eater :(

... but he does.

31 - 40 of 42 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
31 16 Mar 2011
ShadowDoubt said:
I think it'd be gross to kiss someone after they've been eating meat, but that's just me tongue
There's nothing worse than meaty breath!
ReplyQuote

Alyssa Alyssa VIC Posts: 296
32 16 Mar 2011
As everyone else has said, it just comes down to where you draw the line. If you are comfortable with it, at least to a certain point, then definitely be with the person you like.
It may even be enlightening for them to date a vego!  happy
Personally though, I can date a meat eater who shows compassion and open mindedness, but in some ways I feel like the relationship is somewhat doomed because of the conflicting morals. I don't think I could ever commit seriously to someone who has seen something like earthlings or who has sufficient knowledge of what factory farming entails and still chooses to eat meat. For me, that conflicts with my morals far too much. I don't really see eating meat as a difference of lifestyles....a difference of lifestyles for me would be like smoking or non smoking, or maybe raw vegan and vegan, you know? Like, I didn't become vegan for the lifestyle, I became vegan because of my morals.
It's such a dilemma though! Cos all of my family and most of my friends eat meat, but I obviously still want relationships with them, so what is the difference with a partner? I could go on all day.....haha but I won't.
Anyway, bottom line; just do whatever feels right for you happy
ReplyQuote

AwareVeg AwareVeg QLD Posts: 37
33 9 Apr 2012
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but its something I felt I had to weigh into.

I have to say, having dated, meat eaters, vegetarians and vegans.

I think the best and most compatible relationships I have had were with ones that were vegetarian or vegan.

Food is such a central part of our lives and so is our morals/beliefs.

I have more or less come to the point in my life that the only way it would be possible to date someone long term that eats animals would be to convert them to vegetarianism/veganism.

Looking at the aspects of sharing your life with them, when you move in, could you really cope with the smell of meat in the kitchen?
Could they cope with 24/7 activism?
If you were to have children down the road, would they be veg or eat death?

All importent questions I ask myself before committing to someone long term. (:

My world, my life is animals rights and activism; I am sure it is many of yours is too.
ReplyQuote

MilanGuy MilanGuy VIC Posts: 15
34 9 Apr 2012
RawVeg Beingaware said:
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but its something I felt I had to weigh into.

I have to say, having dated, meat eaters, vegetarians and vegans.

I think the best and most compatible relationships I have had were with ones that were vegetarian or vegan.

Food is such a central part of our lives and so is our morels/beliefs.

I have more or less come to the point in my life that the only way it would be possible to date someone long term that eats animals would be to convert them to vegetarianism/veganism.

Looking at the aspects of sharing your life with them, when you move in, could you really cope with the smell of meat in the kitchen?
Could they cope with 24/7 activism?
If you were to have children down the road, would they be veg or eat death?

All importent questions I ask myself before committing to someone long term. (:

My world, my life is animals rights and activism; I am sure it is many of yours is too.
thumb  You summed up what I am thinking.
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
35 9 Apr 2012
If only there were equal numbers of vegan men to women though!

I am also struggling with this. I have been vegetarian for over 10 years. Happily ignorant. I got married in October last year then in around early December someone alerted me to the cruelties of dairy and I've been vegan ever since. Now I have debates with my husband every other day and I'm worried eventually it will end in separation. I'm sure if I knew then what I know now we wouldn't be married. I can't look at him in the same way knowing he knows what I know and yet he still supports it. I just don't cope knowing any of it anymore. I have seriosly thought of leaving him, I don't know if he realizes how much it hurts me. Ugh I hate it all. I'm trying to convince him to let me do some volunteer work at an overseas shelter. I think the space and break would do us some good. Perhaps he would realize how serious I am. Trouble is I have a lot of animals and I don't know if I could leave them, I feel worse about leaving them sad
ReplyQuote

36 9 Apr 2012
*Steph* said:
If only there were equal numbers of vegan men to women though!

I am also struggling with this. I have been vegetarian for over 10 years. Happily ignorant. I got married in October last year then in around early December someone alerted me to the cruelties of dairy and I've been vegan ever since. Now I have debates with my husband every other day and I'm worried eventually it will end in separation. I'm sure if I knew then what I know now we wouldn't be married. I can't look at him in the same way knowing he knows what I know and yet he still supports it. I just don't cope knowing any of it anymore. I have seriosly thought of leaving him, I don't know if he realizes how much it hurts me. Ugh I hate it all. I'm trying to convince him to let me do some volunteer work at an overseas shelter. I think the space and break would do us some good. Perhaps he would realize how serious I am. Trouble is I have a lot of animals and I don't know if I could leave them, I feel worse about leaving them sad
Not everything is as black and white as I like to see the world.
For me, it would be enough to want to leave them as well but if he is vegetarian then you might be able to slowly change his mindset by slowly swapping the diary products in your house with the vegan alternatives. happy.

Going over seas to volunteer sounds like an amazing idea.
What was the catalyst to go down that road?
ReplyQuote

*Steph* *Steph* VIC Posts: 363
37 9 Apr 2012
I wish he was a vegetarian, sorry I gave that impression. He unfortunately loves his meat.

I saw the FurKids thread and the Orang Utans being raped for money video and it got me thinking. I don't know how I'd cope over there but then I'm surrounded by cruelty over here too. I have seen such horrible things first hand. Helped deliver dead calves on a cattle farm, picked up dying sheep for their last shear before having their throats slit. Almost every day at work I hear another story which I wish I hadn't. Atleast if I went o/s I could HELP instead of sit back and be part of the problem. I live in a small town where I help out on a cattle farm some days... My best friend owns it. It's hard to make friends out here as it is, let alone having severely different views on the world to everyone else. She is awesome but I hate what she does for a living. I show the animals love when I can at least. I feel I could do so much more in a place like the FurKids thread ad...
ReplyQuote

Kacey Michelle Kacey Michelle NSW Posts: 92
38 9 Apr 2012
I too have problems with this issue: and don't really know how I'd deal with the idea emotionally. I guess in the end, if I felt I really liked him and could potentially love him (or already did love him) I'd have to accept it. But there'd be a lot of things that would have to be agreed upon to have a relationship, for example: that he be educated on why I am a vegetarian, and the issues of animal welfare. I would make it clear that I'd prefer it if he didn't eat meat around me too often. I would not buy him anything with meat, or cook/prepare him meat, and so on. And I'd definitely have to get him to brush his teeth and so on before I kissed the guy. If he could happily do all of those things, then I'd persure the relationship. If he isn't willing to do that then he isn't worth it. happy
ReplyQuote

39 10 Apr 2012
*Steph* said:
I wish he was a vegetarian, sorry I gave that impression. He unfortunately loves his meat.

I saw the FurKids thread and the Orang Utans being raped for money video and it got me thinking. I don't know how I'd cope over there but then I'm surrounded by cruelty over here too. I have seen such horrible things first hand. Helped deliver dead calves on a cattle farm, picked up dying sheep for their last shear before having their throats slit. Almost every day at work I hear another story which I wish I hadn't. Atleast if I went o/s I could HELP instead of sit back and be part of the problem. I live in a small town where I help out on a cattle farm some days... My best friend owns it. It's hard to make friends out here as it is, let alone having severely different views on the world to everyone else. She is awesome but I hate what she does for a living. I show the animals love when I can at least. I feel I could do so much more in a place like the FurKids thread ad...
That would be extremely hard then.
Being surrounded by it locally by people who do eat meat and won't change.

Better question is, do you still love the person?
It does make it all very hard when your isolated but if you can manage some trips down to Melbourne, maybe try to get involved with Animal Lib or the local vegsoc down there as your escape for awhile?
ReplyQuote

40 10 Apr 2012
Kacey Michelle said:
I too have problems with this issue: and don't really know how I'd deal with the idea emotionally. I guess in the end, if I felt I really liked him and could potentially love him (or already did love him) I'd have to accept it. But there'd be a lot of things that would have to be agreed upon to have a relationship, for example: that he be educated on why I am a vegetarian, and the issues of animal welfare. I would make it clear that I'd prefer it if he didn't eat meat around me too often. I would not buy him anything with meat, or cook/prepare him meat, and so on. And I'd definitely have to get him to brush his teeth and so on before I kissed the guy. If he could happily do all of those things, then I'd persure the relationship. If he isn't willing to do that then he isn't worth it. happy
Its a hard one.
I know a few people in relationships like that, but it still does bother them that their partners don't share the same core values as they do in regards to respecting animals.

Has anyone had much success in helping people change?
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ] 

Unleashed

This page was printed from Animals Australia Unleashed's website (www.unleashed.org.au).