Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Seeing as everyone is still raving about Dairies

thought I'd add my two cents.

1 - 10 of 19 posts   1 | 2  

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
1 15 Mar 2011
During the holidays I worked at a Dairy Farm for a few weeks, thought I would let you know what I saw and learned.
Calves:
male calves are put onto cholostrum for at least three days which is a certain type of milk recently birthed mothers produce, the milkers put it in a seperate bucket for us to feed them while milking the cows, it has to be warmed up first before fed.
they are then put onto "clean" milk up until the day the truck comes and picks up the calves.
If twins are born and it is a male and female, the female is put with the male calves to be slaughtered at the end of the week as they have a higher rate of miscarriage when they grow up and obviously can't produce enough milk because of it.
They move calves from pen to pen by heaving them up and literarily throwing them over the fence into the next pen.
sick calves aren't sperated from the healthy, just sprayed with different coloured spray paint. they have a special kind of drink instead of milk for a few days, called electrolytes. If people forget to order more however, the manager wouldn't order unless the calf feeder asked her and "tough luck" for the calf.
The majority of calves would get what we call the "shits" because they are forced to drink too much milk in such a short space of time, and die within a few days because of it.
I will never get the moans out of my head when I had to tube feed calves because they refused to drink from the feeder, which is a row of plastic bottles filled with milk we hook up to the fence. For those stubborn, we had to put our legs on each side of their neck and force their mouths onto the teets, making sure to dig our legs in to stop them from moving. If that didn't work they were tubed.
Some dead calves were left in the pen for days before they were taken into the "death pit".

Herds were shoved closer and closer into the front pen before being milked and blocked off so the calf feeders could bring in the second herd. Those who didnt move were wacked on the hind with a big rubber pole.
Those who were injured were forced forward anyway.

I know a fair bit more about the standards and day to day  activities... feel free to ask and I'll answer, I don't want to bore you guys with ramblings on the stench... or the pain the animals went through.
ReplyQuote

emileee emileee NSW Posts: 514
2 15 Mar 2011
Why did you work a dairy in the first place?
ReplyQuote

3 15 Mar 2011
emileee said:
mum forced me to get a holiday job... it was the only way I could get away from home, and that was the only place that would take me on a temporary basis. That and I wanted to see some things for myself, see why people were so against dairy farms.
Must say it was definatly enough to put me off milk for life. Going Vegan ASAP.
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
4 15 Mar 2011
4_da_animals1 said:
emileee said:
mum forced me to get a holiday job... it was the only way I could get away from home, and that was the only place that would take me on a temporary basis. That and I wanted to see some things for myself, see why people were so against dairy farms.
Must say it was definatly enough to put me off milk for life. Going Vegan ASAP.
Sounds like it was an eye opening experience. And when someone questions you on dairy treatment you can say with full authority you know what it's like, that ought to shut a few people up happy
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
5 15 Mar 2011
A concerntration camp for cows.
ReplyQuote

Courtney_1 Courtney_1 VIC Posts: 335
6 15 Mar 2011
I'm sorry, if I had to get a job and that was the only one, in no way would I ever work there, I wouldn't even consider it!

But woah, they are truly disgusting. We need more people to go vegan.
ReplyQuote

Taxidermied Baphomet Taxidermied Baphomet NSW Posts: 292
7 16 Mar 2011
Jeez! I went to soy milk because of 'bobby calves', if that wasnt an insentive, this is..
ReplyQuote

8 16 Mar 2011
just to move cows from one paddock to the next we had to get on quad bikes, and basically pushed the cows forward by forcing ourselves into the backs of the back row of cows, standing up on the quads and make really loud noises, and take the big rubber sticks with us.

as soon as a calf was born they were shoved into a tiny trailer, all together and taken down to the other calves. If the calf feeder didn't have time to take them down, they were left in the trailer. sometimes for up to 7 hours or so, all piled ontop of eachother. Once when the other calffeeder was taking the calves down, one of the calve's leg fell out of a hole and part of it's leg was sanded back by the wheel of the quad bike. I don't think it survived from the trauma.
ReplyQuote

9 16 Mar 2011
Courtney_1 said:
I'm sorry, if I had to get a job and that was the only one, in no way would I ever work there, I wouldn't even consider it!

But woah, they are truly disgusting. We need more people to go vegan.
I didn't know how bad dairies were until I worked there. Apart from the bobby calf thing I didn't know much about the industry... I wanted to experience it firsthand.
If I was given the same opportunity with pigs or something, I'd take it. It gives me much more credit when explaining my dietry choices to someone because I've physically seen it, not just based on pictures and videos off the net.
I would of taken some pics and vids of it, but I was fired for crashing the quad through two fences with a massive milk barrel attached to a trailer on the back. It was the second time I had ever ridden a quad, and no one told me the brakes were shot. I was going down a hill and discovered I couldn't stop. Go figure.
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
10 16 Mar 2011
if i was given the opp to work on a dairy farm for a lil bit i would to see first hand , its better to see it for ur self then only on the internet, i think im going to do my work exp at a dairy farm for primary industrys just to see what its like for my self

do they hit the calfs?
what do they do with the mother once the calf is born? are they seperated staright away?
do the other workers so any signs of kindness towards the calfs?
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au