Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Seeing as everyone is still raving about Dairies

thought I'd add my two cents.

11 - 19 of 19 posts   1 | 2  

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
11 16 Mar 2011
shanii said:
if i was given the opp to work on a dairy farm for a lil bit i would to see first hand , its better to see it for ur self then only on the internet, i think im going to do my work exp at a dairy farm for primary industrys just to see what its like for my self

do they hit the calfs?
what do they do with the mother once the calf is born? are they seperated staright away?
do the other workers so any signs of kindness towards the calfs?
They don't hit the calves.
As soon as it's born, if a milker isn't busy they put it into a tiny trailer for the calf feeder to take down when ready. If however it's close to the end of the shift, there are occasions where the calf will spend the night with it's mother, and be taken in the morning.
Only some calf feeders show slight sympathy towards the calves, the milkers don't care, one was spooking a calf, and holding onto it's tail for fun! We however yelled at the milker and told him to stop,
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
12 16 Mar 2011
4_da_animals1 said:
shanii said:
if i was given the opp to work on a dairy farm for a lil bit i would to see first hand , its better to see it for ur self then only on the internet, i think im going to do my work exp at a dairy farm for primary industrys just to see what its like for my self

do they hit the calfs?
what do they do with the mother once the calf is born? are they seperated staright away?
do the other workers so any signs of kindness towards the calfs?
They don't hit the calves.
As soon as it's born, if a milker isn't busy they put it into a tiny trailer for the calf feeder to take down when ready. If however it's close to the end of the shift, there are occasions where the calf will spend the night with it's mother, and be taken in the morning.
Only some calf feeders show slight sympathy towards the calves, the milkers don't care, one was spooking a calf, and holding onto it's tail for fun! We however yelled at the milker and told him to stop,
thanks for answering. thats terrible, poor calf sad
ReplyQuote

Courtney_1 Courtney_1 VIC Posts: 335
13 16 Mar 2011
4_da_animals1 said:
Courtney_1 said:
I'm sorry, if I had to get a job and that was the only one, in no way would I ever work there, I wouldn't even consider it!

But woah, they are truly disgusting. We need more people to go vegan.
I didn't know how bad dairies were until I worked there. Apart from the bobby calf thing I didn't know much about the industry... I wanted to experience it firsthand.
If I was given the same opportunity with pigs or something, I'd take it. It gives me much more credit when explaining my dietry choices to someone because I've physically seen it, not just based on pictures and videos off the net.
I would of taken some pics and vids of it, but I was fired for crashing the quad through two fences with a massive milk barrel attached to a trailer on the back. It was the second time I had ever ridden a quad, and no one told me the brakes were shot. I was going down a hill and discovered I couldn't stop. Go figure.
I know, no one really knows how bad these things are until we do experience it first-hand, but I still wouldn't do it mainly because I know that I would be contributing the the cruelty of animals, and I'm sorry, I just wouldn't be able to do that knowing I'm one of the reasons those poor animals we're suffering. I had a huge disccusion today with two friends about the dairy industry and I still don't see them ever going to vegan, so really, it's up to everyone what choices they decide to make with their diet. Besides, working there would take a massive emotional and mental toll on me.
Oh, I'm sorry to hear about that. D':
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen Australia Posts: 993
14 16 Mar 2011
Unleashed Admin
I'm so sorry you had to go through this sad

At least you'll have first hand experience to draw on. That's powerful stuff.

Do you know how old these calves were when they were sent to slaughter? Where the female calves treated any differently to the males, and did you ever get to see a cow's reaction to seeing her baby taken away?
ReplyQuote

15 17 Mar 2011
Karen said:
I'm so sorry you had to go through this sad

At least you'll have first hand experience to draw on. That's powerful stuff.

Do you know how old these calves were when they were sent to slaughter? Where the female calves treated any differently to the males, and did you ever get to see a cow's reaction to seeing her baby taken away?
Anywhere between about 5 days onwards, sometimes a truck didn't come and the calves were stuck there for another week, the truck came every Monday.
Females were put onto different milk than the males were after they had their cholostrum for a certain amount of days, the male calves had cleaner milk than the females because they had to be in "good condition" other wise the truck would refuse to take the calves to the slaughterhouse.
They were all in the same pens, with a mandatory amount of hay to lie on, and a certain amount of water to drink, plus grain.
I never saw a cows reaction to their baby being taken away, but I sure as hell heard it. The moos were so loud!
One of the days was pouring with rain dead freezing and the calves were refusing to drink milk because of it, I was crying as I had to force the calves to drink, I mentioned to a worker that this is wrong, they should be with their mothers, and they said,
actually, the type of cow we use, freesian cows are terrible mothers, they are better treated when taken away.
No clue what they were on about there?
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
16 17 Mar 2011
4_da_animals1 said:
actually, the type of cow we use, freesian cows are terrible mothers, they are better treated when taken away.
omg serious? freisians are one of the best mother cows, actually majoirty of  cows ( u get the occassioal few that arnt good mothers ) are great mothers, and they look after there babys so well, my friesian cow had a calf and she looked after her so well, she was protective, caring, nurtiaring and kind. she looked after her baby better then most cows i have seen, she always stood by her calf, and never let her baby out of her sight happy  .. so thats a load of crap
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
17 17 Mar 2011
Unleashed Admin
4_da_animals1 said:
One of the days was pouring with rain dead freezing and the calves were refusing to drink milk because of it, I was crying as I had to force the calves to drink, I mentioned to a worker that this is wrong, they should be with their mothers, and they said,
I doubt their mother would send them off to slaughter at 5 days of age. So it's hard to see how the calves are better off for being taken away from their family.
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
18 18 Mar 2011
You should've bought a mini camera and clipped it on your shirt! Then post the video footage on you-tube! Yeah, that would show them!

Anyway, thats terrible! I hate it when people say "but getting milk from a cow is humane!" arhhh!
ReplyQuote

19 18 Mar 2011
Pegs said:
You should've bought a mini camera and clipped it on your shirt! Then post the video footage on you-tube! Yeah, that would show them!

Anyway, thats terrible! I hate it when people say "but getting milk from a cow is humane!" arhhh!
Unfortunatly I am broke lol, was going to but I was fired before I get the chance!
ReplyQuote

Next >
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au