Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

What I want to be when I grow up: Part 2.

I'm only 15, but I would really like to be more set on the future.

1 - 10 of 11 posts   1 | 2  

RawVegan RawVegan QLD Posts: 10
1 19 Mar 2011
I WAS planning to be a veterinarian when i grew up among other things, and I have asked you all before the implications of being one. After thinking about it more thoroughly over the past 2 years... That probably won't happen anymore. I am a bit stumped on how to earn a respectable income, but also help animals all over the world. I am thinking about being a wildlife conservationist, but I'm not sure where to start- and more of that would be volunteering (which isn't much of a problem, just I need an income to continue it).  yawn

I found this: Certificate III in Native animal rehabilitation: a course for wildlife carers. From this site: http://wildlifetourism.org.au/blog/events/2008-wildlife-workshops/who-ya-gonna-call/certificate-iii-in-native-animal-rehabilitation/

I'm not sure what exactly that would do for me. Or what that goes towards- as in does it go towards a paying career, and what career exactly?  

bump Also another problem I came upon, is that if I just did the noromal feeding Joeys and being a volunteer- do they absolutely have to get fed cows milk, and worms ( for birds). It just makes me more conflicted about the idea.

What other careers might be a good idea (earning an income), that involves this? I could just get a normal paying job and save up to care for animals, but that would keep me from caring for animals 24/7- or overseas. (orangutans etc) I love them! oh an elephants.. Piggies! :3 The list doesn't really end... ashamed

It is really frustrating, and I would really appreciate some helpful advice.   confused

Thank you!  peace
ReplyQuote

Taxidermied Baphomet Taxidermied Baphomet NSW Posts: 292
2 19 Mar 2011
How to answer that one, i guess it would be very hard to get into a career that involves taking care of animals 24/7 and be paid well.. As it is many people are stuck in jobs they dont like just to recieve an income and do what they love on the side without pay..

Maybe if you vulenteer around you may find yourself in a fixed paid position, it will also give you an idea of what you like, dont like, agree and disagree with before commiting yourself.

I hope you find your way
ReplyQuote

Mondayschild Mondayschild WA Posts: 1452
3 19 Mar 2011
First of all, don't stress! I know just how anxious all this decision making can be, but trust me, it's not worth it. I though I had my future all set out. I got a science degree, then I started studying physiotherapy, and now i'm on to Journalism!
Futures and careers are really a fluid thing. They are always changing, you can have more than one career in your life (actually, your very likely to!) and things can pop up that you never even anticipated.
Its super great that you want a future helping animals, funnily enough, so do I and I am planning to use my Journalism that way, I want to inform people. All kind of things happen in life so for now, just do your best in school, follow your interests and the rest will all fall in to place in time. Trust me happy
ReplyQuote

4 19 Mar 2011
Mondayschild said:
First of all, don't stress! I know just how anxious all this decision making can be, but trust me, it's not worth it. I though I had my future all set out. I got a science degree, then I started studying physiotherapy, and now i'm on to Journalism!
Futures and careers are really a fluid thing. They are always changing, you can have more than one career in your life (actually, your very likely to!) and things can pop up that you never even anticipated.
Its super great that you want a future helping animals, funnily enough, so do I and I am planning to use my Journalism that way, I want to inform people. All kind of things happen in life so for now, just do your best in school, follow your interests and the rest will all fall in to place in time. Trust me happy
Journalism! That's great, I couldn't make my mind up about that.. I just have so many passions! Yeah I guess it is, I get very lost in school though if I do not have something to go towards- and sometimes my grade suffer from not being able to know what I am actually suffering school for, lol.  innocent

I hope Journalism works out for you. That is really cool. I remember many years ago really thinking about Journalism, but then thought that I would be sued etc for exposing, but lately the world has opened it's eyes a little more. A little more free speech, without a cost. But yeah, I guess I should stop worrying, I'm not a very flowy person so it does freak me out -.- I want to make my life worth it, by helping the animals, not to waste it. if you know what I mean! peace
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
5 19 Mar 2011
What about environmental or animal protection law? Good $$$ and you could do probono work on the side too, or work for a charity.
ReplyQuote

Nobody Nobody QLD Posts: 593
6 19 Mar 2011
I'm 27, and I still don't know what I'm doing with my life.
Just this month I quit the job I had for 3yrs (manager of a charity store). I just couldn't handle it any longer.
My doc said I must choose a job suitable for me. Lifting or carrying heavy things, bending over, jogging, standing still too long, sitting in a desk chair too long - it all gives me terrible back pains due to a spinal problem. I also have a mental instability issue, but I won't go into that.
At the moment I'm just enjoying a break, thinking about my life, and going with the flow.

But that's enough about me. Sorry.
There are many careers that involve helping animals and/or the environment. Have you tried a google search? I know, I'm not much help.
If you're having troulble deciding on a career, I recommend doing some deep thinking. Think about what you really want. Try writing a list of your interests. If your dream job is too unrealistic / out of reach, look into the next best thing. Whatever career you choose, it's not a life commitment. You can always venture out and try different things.
Find a path you are happy with. There is no point pushing yourself to stick with a particular career if it is making you miserable. Too many people make that mistake.

Shoot for the moon, and even if you miss, you'll end up among the stars.
ReplyQuote

7 5 Dec 2011
All helpful. Thanks.
ReplyQuote

8 5 Dec 2011
Callum said:
What about environmental or animal protection law? Good $$$ and you could do probono work on the side too, or work for a charity.
That's what my English teacher suggested. I might be up for it. I have to think about it though, it will help, there's a law firm based solely on that, and they do great good. People always say I'd be good at it, but it just doesn't suit the lifestyle that I have and most likely will have. I would need a lot of time for the other part of my life, that I have to make happen. Thanks
ReplyQuote

Deespark Deespark QLD Posts: 328
9 5 Dec 2011
I hear you on the grades, my grades suffered when I wasn't sure what I was aiming for. Now they suffer still, because I want to be a dog trainer and don't need good grades....

If you were looking into jornalism, do you like to write then? Maybe one day you could write books on wildlife. If it ever interested you. I guess you just have to figure out all the careers you may possibly want to do, then research them all, find out which ones you like and would be likely to do etc.
What year are you in at school? Do you still have a few years to figure out what you want to do once you leave school?
ReplyQuote

Lotus Eater Lotus Eater QLD Posts: 60
10 5 Dec 2011
Just do whatever you want to do (something well paying) and donate some of your salary to a charity (like Animals Australia). That, realistically, is probably the biggest difference you can make.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au