Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

I saw a dog squished up in a backpack

1 - 6 of 6 posts

Gen_MCRmy Gen_MCRmy NSW Posts: 55
1 19 Mar 2011
A couple of days ago, I had just left Westfields and was walking past a line of trees and some public seats with my mum. I saw a bike tied to a pole, with a backpack behind the seat. I loked closer at the backpack and noticed that there was a ball of white fur. I looked again and sawvone deep brown eye hiding behind some fur. Then the thought occured to me: The ball of white fluffy fur was a dog. I couldn't actually believe it at first. The dog was squished up into a ball, which to me, looked very uncomfortable. He/she also looked a bit scared and very bored. The bag had soft mesh holes, but I could tell that it wasn't designed to hold animals, because of the shape and the size.

I did panick at first, and refused to leave the dog, who I think was a maltese terrior, even though my mum was tired and didn't make a fuss of it. I wondered how the dog was treated by his/her "owner" (I prefer carer). I said "Come on, let's ring centre manangement or the RSPCA" (though I don't trust the RSPCA with non-human animals who aren't companion animals). As my mum sat down and began to ring centre management, a woman with a few bags of groceries came over and said "Why are you worried about the dog? huh" I realised she was the carer of the dog. I said "Oh, it's just that she's squashed up like that. Doesn't look too happy. ashamed" Then the woman said "Yeah well she's fine, I do this all the time and she doesn't mind. I always leave her in there for a little while, while I go and do the shopping" Then she got out her key, unlocked the lock, and unzipped the bag. The dog was urging for her to hurry up and open the darn thing when she saw the key, and when the bag was opened, the dog leapt out energetically and into her arms. I don't know what was up with the dog, but still knew that she wasn't happy in that bag. I felt like yelling megaphone "WELL EXCUSE ME, ERR...ISNT IT IBVIOUS TO YOU THAT DOGS, LIKE EVERY ANIMAL IN THE WORLD, NEED TO STRETCH AND MOVE FREELY WHEN THEY WANT TO? I DON'T CARE IF SHE'S JUST IN HERE FOR 1 MINUTE, IT'S STILL CRUEL AND I'M SURE SHE'D BE TERRIFIED, LOOKING OUT THE BACK OF THIS BAG WHEN YOU'RE RIDING YOUR BIKE REALLY FAST. WHAT IF YOU HAVE AN ACCIDENT ON YOUR BIKE? THIS DOG WOULD BE SEVERELY INJURED, IF NOT DEAD." I just said "right...." and gave her the annoyed look. I walked off with my mum. Looking back on this, I wish I'd done something more. I don't know how that dog is treated at home, but I would like to know. You may think I'm an agry, controlling vegan, but if you were there too, you would feel the same. It was worse than how I've described it.

Thanks for reading wink
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
2 19 Mar 2011
Nah, you would've done better than me. I usually roll my eyes, or raise my eyebrow, saying "Ooookkkaaaaayyyyy" and then walking away, but saying loud enough for the person to hear "Poor dog, some people just have no idea" I did that in a pet store once. They had jack russells who looked around 6 months in a RABBIT HUTCH! You could see how bored and unhappy they were, and they were kept in a RABBIT HUTCH.And they had birds of every speacies just shoved together in tiny cages, with the stores's mascot Elliot in a huge, gleaming mansion of a cage.  So as I was walking out, I said "This place should NOT keep animals" but then I got in trouble by my dad.

But karma came, and Elliot was stolen. Hopefully he went to a good place.
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
3 19 Mar 2011
Gosh that sucks! I'm sorry though but i don't know what to say to help..... but your not a controlling vegan just because you want to improve the world.
ReplyQuote

4 19 Mar 2011
Yeah that's terrible. Pet store workers always act like they love the animals they keep, but they don't. I would've done the same as you if I was in that pet shop. happy
Although you do feel like opening up all the cages.
ReplyQuote

5 19 Mar 2011
Pegs said:
Nah, you would've done better than me. I usually roll my eyes, or raise my eyebrow, saying "Ooookkkaaaaayyyyy" and then walking away, but saying loud enough for the person to hear "Poor dog, some people just have no idea" I did that in a pet store once. They had jack russells who looked around 6 months in a RABBIT HUTCH! You could see how bored and unhappy they were, and they were kept in a RABBIT HUTCH.And they had birds of every speacies just shoved together in tiny cages, with the stores's mascot Elliot in a huge, gleaming mansion of a cage.  So as I was walking out, I said "This place should NOT keep animals" but then I got in trouble by my dad.

But karma came, and Elliot was stolen. Hopefully he went to a good place.
i would've said the same thing if i was in that pet shop happy
i know what u mean when you get into a pet shop. the workers there just couldn't care less about the hundreds of unhappy animals they're keeping there. and what i find really hypocritical, is that they sell pigs, cows, lamb and chicken meat in their shops!
same, i hope elliot went to a loving place where he wasnt locked up every day.
ReplyQuote

6 19 Mar 2011
Callum said:
Gosh that sucks! I'm sorry though but i don't know what to say to help..... but your not a controlling vegan just because you want to improve the world.
thats ok. thanks peace
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au