Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Cane Toads, Bob Irwin and Conservation

Have you heard about the Toad Day Out? What are your opinions about this?

1 - 10 of 12 posts   1 | 2  

Heather. Heather. QLD Posts: 230
1 27 Mar 2011
Hello everyone, today for the second year in a row our school radio station was invovled in our local toad day out. For those of you who don't know what the Toad Day Out is, it is an annual event in North Queensland which is in it's third year, locals residents of Cairns, Townsville and Charters Towers are encouraged to collect toads so they can be euthanised. There are also local non-for profit groups like Bio-security and landcare conservation etc that take part in it as well as local government workers. I was wondering what do you think of this event?

Well today I was also lucky enough to interview Bob Irwin for our radio station and asked him about his involvement in Toad Day Out and what has be doing in North Queensland, and his endeveaours especially with the conservation of Dugoungs and Turtles.  I can post a link to the audio when I recieve it and edit it slightly, if any of you are interested in hearing it. He mentioned that he will be working with the Sea Shepard and is going to fight harder to save Dugoungs, Turtles and other sea creatures. He was very easy going and it was a great experience.

Thank you, Heather happy
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
2 27 Mar 2011
I'm not sure what to think of the event. I've never seen a cane toad in my life, but if I were in Queensland I probably wouldn't participate. I think it's very similar to the feral cat issue, sure they're causing damage, but that's not their fault and I don't agree with killing an innocent animal due to human's stupid mistakes. So no, I wouldn't collect cane toads for them to be killed.

I'm interested in hearing your interview with Bob Irwin. happy
ReplyQuote

Heather. Heather. QLD Posts: 230
3 27 Mar 2011
Maggie said:
I'm not sure what to think of the event. I've never seen a cane toad in my life, but if I were in Queensland I probably wouldn't participate. I think it's very similar to the feral cat issue, sure they're causing damage, but that's not their fault and I don't agree with killing an innocent animal due to human's stupid mistakes. So no, I wouldn't collect cane toads for them to be killed.

I'm interested in hearing your interview with Bob Irwin. happy
I don't know what to think either. Although I've grown up thinking Cane toads are bad and even participating in humanely killing them (freezing them). However today was the first day I had seen a toad killed even humanely since becoming Pescetarian and it made me think.  The question that comes to my mind is does the benefits for nature and our natural wildlife outweigh the death of a toad? I honestly don't know. I did not collect any toads but we interviewed various no for profit organisations and broadcasted music.

Thank you Maggie although he does talk about the Toad Day Out for quite a bit of it, it is still quite interesting and he gave some great responses happy
ReplyQuote

Taxidermied Baphomet Taxidermied Baphomet NSW Posts: 292
4 27 Mar 2011
Good for you interviewing Bob Irwin! I agree on the Toad Day, firstly because they are put down humanily, and secondly cane toads are out of hand causing some of our native species to decline in numbers..

And i do agree humans are sooo stupid for bringing in cane toads in the first place, now us and our fauna have a fight on our hands..
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
5 28 Mar 2011
Well, I think they should catch and kill the cane toads. Even though they have no idea what their doing, they are killing other wildlife! Good on you for interviewing Bod Irwin!
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
6 28 Mar 2011
a) if you ever came face to face with a toad you would want to kill it. They are hideous disgusting things.

b) freezing them is NOT a humane way to euthanise them. They freeze so quickly that on the outside they are frozen stiff but on the inside their hearts are still beating and they are in pain. This goes for all reptiles and amphibians. I dont know where the RSPCA got the idea from that its humane U_U
ReplyQuote

7 28 Mar 2011
RaV3N said:
a) if you ever came face to face with a toad you would want to kill it. They are hideous disgusting things.

b) freezing them is NOT a humane way to euthanise them. They freeze so quickly that on the outside they are frozen stiff but on the inside their hearts are still beating and they are in pain. This goes for all reptiles and amphibians. I dont know where the RSPCA got the idea from that its humane U_U
Oh, i didn't know that was the way they were killing the toads..
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
8 28 Mar 2011
Taxidermied Baphomet said:
RaV3N said:

It may not be, but that is the RSPCAs recommendation
ReplyQuote

9 28 Mar 2011
RaV3N said:
Taxidermied Baphomet said:
RaV3N said:

It may not be, but that is the RSPCAs recommendation
Oh i get ya
ReplyQuote

ZoolNerd ZoolNerd NSW Posts: 1005
10 28 Mar 2011
I thought they gassed toads?
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au