Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

organ donation

1 - 10 of 191 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7  

PaulV PaulV NSW Posts: 47
1 4 Apr 2011
I'm still undecided and believe that either way most people have the best intentions but how do people feel as vegans or vegetarians about donating their organs once they are dead (or even before) to people who will use them to stay alive and keep eating animals that we love so much?
ReplyQuote

Chewie Chewie NSW Posts: 521
2 4 Apr 2011
It doesn't matter. I want to be able to help those in need after I die (and before if I'm able). Them eating meat doesn't come into the equation. It doesn't make them less of a good person or less deserving of my organs.
ReplyQuote

Randomzz Randomzz United States Posts: 144
3 4 Apr 2011
Thats like saving animals but instead its a humans life and you never know they could change their lifestyle.
ReplyQuote

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
4 4 Apr 2011
PaulV said:
I'm still undecided and believe that either way most people have the best intentions but how do people feel as vegans or vegetarians about donating their organs once they are dead (or even before) to people who will use them to stay alive and keep eating animals that we love so much?
I've given this a bit of thought because I made up my mind to become an organ donor a few years after becoming vegan. I think that if something were to happen to me today I would want my organs to be made the most of regardless of whether or not people eat meat because I've only been vegan a quarter of my life so what if I had have died before changing? Also, my family are all meat-eaters and I would be horrified if they were knocked back from receiving much needed organs because of their lifestyle.

I do understand where you're coming from though. Just as there is an option to only donate particular organs, perhaps their needs to be an option that you're only willing to donate to veg/vegans? I dunno. Perhaps that could be interpreted as discrimination then and people would take it further and say that they don't want their bits donated to homosexuals/aboriginals/red heads or whatever. Its such a tricky subject. I feel funny about some random person who hasn't taken care of their body and has been wasteful with resources their whole life to be even wasting my organs when I'm gone. Though, my hesitations shouldn't disadvantage those children who are sick and are just living under the lifestyle that their parents have made for them.

OR perhaps there could be an Organ Register for the vegetarian/vegan community. That may be a better option. I think I would join that.

What do you think?
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
5 4 Apr 2011
I don't see a problem. You're a vegan/vegetarian to save lives. If you can save one or two more lifes after death then why not? I don't want all meat eaters to die, I'd give a kidney to my mum and she eats meat. I just believe in alternate lifestyles.
ReplyQuote

Teegzie Teegzie QLD Posts: 28
6 4 Apr 2011
It's not an issue for me. If my organs and tissue can help people then I'll gladly give it, regardless of of how they choose to live their life.

I would never refuse to donate to someone who is  devoutly religious, for example, despite the fact I'm not religious myself and don't believe in any deities and beleive those who follow a religion are misguided (not trying to start an argument here or make anyone feel bad about their religion by the way!). I think people who eat meat are misguided as well and just as worthy of lifesaving organs and tissues happy
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
7 4 Apr 2011
Well, what else are you going to use it for? What if you die, and you said you didn't want to donate your organs, when one of your meat eating family members needs an organ transplant?
ReplyQuote

ecochick ecochick SA Posts: 214
8 4 Apr 2011
Can't you ask to have a note sent to your thingo and they can read your story? maybe it would inspire them... and have it so that your family can decide if the organs will be treated well etc
ReplyQuote

Jaydin Jaydin NSW Posts: 31
9 4 Apr 2011
I've never actually thought about this before, thank you for turning me onto this topic! I think a few people have missed the direction of the OP's question (or maybe I have, who knows), but I think the gist of it is this: by donating your organs, you save human lives. But seeing as vegans (and to a lesser extent vegetarians) are a tiny minority of the population, your organs have a very high probability of saving a meat eater. Assuming the meat eater has 20 years left to live after your organ donation (a conservative estimate), and that one vegan saves 40 animal lives a year (another conservative estimate), your organ donation essentially saves one human life, but contributes to ending 800 animals lives. Seeing as veganism holds that humans and animals are equal, that's essentially ending 799 lives (net).

Now I understand not everyone here sees morality as a numbers game, (i.e. consequentialism) but if the question is framed in a different light, the answer is still the same. Say that even after knowing (to an almost certain degree) that a person will kill 5 innocent people if saved, you still save them from death. A few days later, those 5 innocent people are murdered by this person you have saved. Surely to some degree you are partly responsible for the deaths that took place given the high probability to which you knew the intentions of that person? Surely you can't use the excuse that you think morality is about 'saving lives?'

Similarly, given the high probability that your organs will save meat eaters, surely you are partly responsible for the pain and suffering of those 800+ animals? The person you saved is contributing to a genocide of other species, one could not save Hitler or Stalin and say they were just 'saving lives.'

These are just my initial thoughts on the subject, and I am actually quite horrified at the conclusions straightforward utilitarianism says about such things. I do think the idea of sending the saved person a story of your life and veganism is a great idea though, and (may) probably nullify the above argument.
ReplyQuote

Chewie Chewie NSW Posts: 521
10 4 Apr 2011
Jaydin said:
I've never actually thought about this before, thank you for turning me onto this topic! I think a few people have missed the direction of the OP's question (or maybe I have, who knows), but I think the gist of it is this: by donating your organs, you save human lives. But seeing as vegans (and to a lesser extent vegetarians) are a tiny minority of the population, your organs have a very high probability of saving a meat eater. Assuming the meat eater has 20 years left to live after your organ donation (a conservative estimate), and that one vegan saves 40 animal lives a year (another conservative estimate), your organ donation essentially saves one human life, but contributes to ending 800 animals lives. Seeing as veganism holds that humans and animals are equal, that's essentially ending 799 lives (net).

Now I understand not everyone here sees morality as a numbers game, (i.e. consequentialism) but if the question is framed in a different light, the answer is still the same. Say that even after knowing (to an almost certain degree) that a person will kill 5 innocent people if saved, you still save them from death. A few days later, those 5 innocent people are murdered by this person you have saved. Surely to some degree you are partly responsible for the deaths that took place given the high probability to which you knew the intentions of that person? Surely you can't use the excuse that you think morality is about 'saving lives?'

Similarly, given the high probability that your organs will save meat eaters, surely you are partly responsible for the pain and suffering of those 800+ animals? The person you saved is contributing to a genocide of other species, one could not save Hitler or Stalin and say they were just 'saving lives.'

:-/

I really hope you don't actually believe what you've written. Im sorry, but that sort of moral high ground, ridiculous argument is exactly why some people hate vegans.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ]  [ 5 ]  [ 6 ]  [ 7 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au