Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Traveling Vegan

South East Asia + Canada

1 - 8 of 8 posts

Jubes Jubes NSW Posts: 48
1 8 Apr 2011
Hello,

I am going traveling for a while this year.
I am starting in South East Asia and then going to live/work in Canada for quite a while (most likely at least a year) - Its very exciting except I am starting to get pretty anxious about the whole thing.

I went to Thailand about 4 years ago but only for 10 days and it was really heart breaking to see all the homeless dogs and elephants and monkeys with chains on, I got really stressed about it. I am making sure when we go to animal type places it is only animal sanctuaries and animal rescue places that have rescued and a rehabilitating the animals.
So that is my first worry about SE Asia.

My second worry is food, and being about to tell them that I don't want meat or dairy, and if I am going to be able to get a good balance of foods. And when I get to Canada if my budget gets really tight its going to be super hard to be buying fresh foods.

Another concern is clothing when I get to Canada, its going to be absolutely freezing, does anyone know if there are many non-animal footwear/clothing or much choice for those parts of the world? All I have is my ugg boots from a few years ago (before I went veg) and if possible I would like to buy an alternative so I don't have to wear these.

If anyone has any info or advice or has been traveling could you please help me out?

Thanks

Julia
ReplyQuote

4_da_animals1 4_da_animals1 SA Posts: 3293
2 8 Apr 2011
Asia is perfect for tofu, more tofu annnnnd wait for it.... tofu! Replace any meat for tofu, I'm sure the majority of places would be able to do that. If it's anything to go by like asian restaurants here. =]
unless you don't like tofu? *crickets chirp* tongue
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
3 8 Apr 2011
4_da_animals1 said:
Asia is perfect for tofu, more tofu annnnnd wait for it.... tofu! Replace any meat for tofu, I'm sure the majority of places would be able to do that. If it's anything to go by like asian restaurants here. =]
unless you don't like tofu? *crickets chirp* tongue
Very funny!  frog
ReplyQuote

4 8 Apr 2011
Well, as for food in Canada, how bout  you just go to farmers markets? I've seen them, and the food there is less expensive and fresher than what you will find in a super market.
ReplyQuote

5 8 Apr 2011
P.S As for the clothes, just pile on a whole bunch of cotton scarfs, and jackets. Its best if you get a jumper thats water proof, and then wear 4-5 t-shirts and scivvies underneath!
ReplyQuote

Catyren Catyren WA Posts: 542
6 8 Apr 2011
canada isn't much different to aus, except it's a lot colder! you'll have no problems being veg there. South east asia will depend on the country and the area you're travelling in, your language skills and where you're staying. just stay away from wet markets!
ReplyQuote

Jubes Jubes NSW Posts: 48
7 11 Apr 2011
Thanks for your help guys!

Haha yup I love tofu so all is good there wink I think Ill try to learn some words to help me out with the language/food.
The place Im staying in canada is a really small town in a national park which is why I am a bit concerned about the food too.
ReplyQuote

Ward Ward VIC Posts: 94
8 12 Apr 2011
Heya Jubes,

In terms of the food while you're traveling in SE Asia, you can get something called a vegan passport (http://www.vegetarianguides.co.uk/products/veganpassport.shtml) which has translations of phrases such as "no meat, eggs or dairy" etc.

Canada is a really beautiful place. Are you visiting Vancouver? If so there are heaps of vegan restaurants, even a 24 hr one (it's called the Naam in Kitsilano).

I would recommend taking warm clothes to Canada as it is quite cold. The good thing about Canada is that you're close to the US so can easily ship lots of their cool clothing products. I'd definitely check out Vaute Couture (http://www.vautecouture.com/) which sell a large range of coats (I've just ordered three from there). They're expensive, but they're the best.

Also check out places like Moo Shoes (http://www.mooshoes.com/) and Herbivore Clothing Company (http://www.herbivoreclothing.com/). You'll find so much great stuff to order from the US happy
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au