Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

How do you know if something fake fur or not?

1 - 8 of 8 posts

annabellaar annabellaar NSW Posts: 43
1 5 Sep 2009
i would like to know how you know if something is fake fur or not? cause im a little confused :S
ReplyQuote

_Matt _Matt VIC Posts: 1567
2 5 Sep 2009
haha, apart from the differences in price (like $50 versus $5000) it will say on the label. Like, if you look at your clothes' label now, it will say "100% cotton" or "100% polyester" or "80% polyester" etc. It would be very rare to find something that's fur outside a fur shop.
ReplyQuote

Shirley Shirley NSW Posts: 108
3 5 Sep 2009
something i recently learnt was if it says its made out of synthetic materials ; which means fake.
so if it says synthetic materials on the label, your good to go happy
ReplyQuote

Apple Scruff Apple Scruff VIC Posts: 180
4 5 Sep 2009
Matt.Y said:
haha, apart from the differences in price (like $50 versus $5000) it will say on the label. Like, if you look at your clothes' label now, it will say "100% cotton" or "100% polyester" or "80% polyester" etc. It would be very rare to find something that's fur outside a fur shop.
Because the fur industry is trying to get bigger in Australia there have been cases where real fur trims, or fur used on cat toys have been labelled as fake - how they get away with it I have no idea. But you can telll if something is real or not by touching it, trust me - most fur will feel like you're patting your pet dog or cat.

Unfortunately fur is really starting to come back 'in' in Australia - a lot of designers have started using it again and lately I've seen so many people with fur trim jackets.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
5 6 Sep 2009
Shirley said:
something i recently learnt was if it says its made out of synthetic materials ; which means fake.
so if it says synthetic materials on the label, your good to go happy
They also use PCV (polyvinyl chloride).
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
6 6 Sep 2009
Apple Scruff said:
But you can telll if something is real or not by touching it, trust me - most fur will feel like you're patting your pet dog or cat.
Yeah the fake stuff feels very rough and synthetic sometimes. It also has a smell to it - hard to explain but smells like material? LOL
ReplyQuote

Amelia! Amelia! QLD Posts: 143
7 6 Sep 2009
Also, if you sort of fold it over so you can see whats under the fur, if it looks like leather, than its real. But if it looks like cotton fabric, then its fake. Well, I think thats right. Thats how I checked the stuff I was gonna make a teddy bear out of was fake (and my mum is also pro at telling is stuff is real or fake).
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au