Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Mujadara - Lentil and Rice dish

1 - 1 of 1 posts

Imaginary Product Imaginary Product NSW Posts: 142
1 10 Apr 2011
I thought I would share this really easy dish that is also delicious.  It's middle eastern and there are many variations of the recipe but this is how I make it:

Cook 1 cup (raw measurement) of brown rice using the absorbtion method with a tsp or two of massel chicken stock (vegan).  

While that is cooking, cut up several onions depending on taste into rings.  I use 3-4 medium brown onions.  The idea is to caramelise them so some people add sugar but I dont.  I cook them for about 10-15 minutes on med/high heat until the brown, then turn the heat down low and keep cooking them until the rice is done.  About 10 minutes before the end I add several gloves of crushed garlic.

When the rice is cooked, add 1 tin of rinsed brown lentils, a few shakes of white pepper, cumin and a dash of mixed spice.  Mix it all together.  

To serve, put the lentils/rice in a bowl and top with the onions.

It keeps well in the fridge and would probably freeze well too.  It can be rich if you use a lot of the stock/spices so to balance it out serve with a fresh green salad or some veggies.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au