Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

New vegan in town!

1 - 5 of 5 posts

Britti Britti QLD Posts: 24
1 11 Apr 2011
So I've been a vegetarian for probably over two years, but have now stepped it up to becoming a vegan. It's been just over two weeks and I feel great, have had no problems and it just feels right to me.
Now however it's like starting all over again as far as people having a go at me for things they can not comprehend or understand.

I was curious about other peoples experience with this sort of thing and how they deal with it? It isnt something that worries me that much because I am quite capable of standing up for myself, but it does piss me off lol

Anyway I'd like to read about some of your experiences with obnoxious people questioning your lifestyle choice happy So we can all have a nice bitch tongue

Nar but it would be nice to get other vegan and vegetarian opinions, as none of my friends or family are either :S
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
2 11 Apr 2011
Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you!

I've been vegan for six months and I haven't had too much opposition on being vegan (only from family) It always seems to be most frustrating when those close to you can't comprehend what is so important to you.

my advice is to read up on good quotes and arguments so that you are well equipped to fend of silly remarks. Also memorizing statistics is good...so you can whip them out.

the problem with many people is that because you are going against what is normal culture they assume that we don't have our facts straight so it's up to us to show them who has done their homework and catch them out when they try to catch us out

good luck!!
ReplyQuote

3 11 Apr 2011
Lars said:
Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you!

I've been vegan for six months and I haven't had too much opposition on being vegan (only from family) It always seems to be most frustrating when those close to you can't comprehend what is so important to you.

my advice is to read up on good quotes and arguments so that you are well equipped to fend of silly remarks. Also memorizing statistics is good...so you can whip them out.

the problem with many people is that because you are going against what is normal culture they assume that we don't have our facts straight so it's up to us to show them who has done their homework and catch them out when they try to catch us out

good luck!!
Exactly! I've been doing my reading alright haha lots. Thats what makes it so frustrating though.
The fact that people generally know jack about what actually goes into their bodies. Like they think that people only do it because of our beliefs, but dont actually consider that we also do it for our own well being aswell. They are not aware that we are not actually making this shit up, its all facts! There are too many misconceptions.

My friend got angry at me the other day because she asked what jelly was made out of and I told her. I am never going to try and push my beliefs onto anyone, but I will educate you lol

Why do people want to live in denial like that lol Honestly if I knew then, what I know now, I would have become a vegan a long, long time ago.

Sorry I'm just rambling on :S
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
4 11 Apr 2011
I was just thinking about the notion of "pushing your beliefs" on someone..

saying something like "animals weren't meant to be eaten" is a belief

but showing people the reality of what happens isn't, if people have adverse reactions to the things that go on that has to say something about people's gut instincts doesn't it!
ReplyQuote

5 11 Apr 2011
Lars said:
I was just thinking about the notion of "pushing your beliefs" on someone..

saying something like "animals weren't meant to be eaten" is a belief

but showing people the reality of what happens isn't, if people have adverse reactions to the things that go on that has to say something about people's gut instincts doesn't it!
Yes exactly!
ReplyQuote

Unleashed

This page was printed from Animals Australia Unleashed's website (www.unleashed.org.au).