Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Animal Dissections @ Uni

Replaced by computer simulations at mine :)

1 - 10 of 13 posts   1 | 2  

april-san april-san QLD Posts: 368
1 11 Apr 2011
During orientation I asked a 2nd-year student in my course about dissections. She had told me that there were animal dissections, but there were also alternatives available.

But, when I asked my lab supervisor about it today, he said that he was pretty sure that the dissections have been completely replaced by computer simulations this year ecstatic That sure put a big smile on my face, to hear that not just me but EVERYONE in Foundation Year Health labs were no longer cutting up real rats! Just thought I'd share the good news.

And for all the high-school biology students out there, you now have further proof that dissection isn't necessary to learn - if university-level medical science students don't need to do it, you guys certainly don't!  cool
ReplyQuote

Jane Jane SA Posts: 168
2 11 Apr 2011
That's FABULOUS news! ecstatic
Which university is this?
ReplyQuote

Shonnie Shonnie NSW Posts: 237
3 11 Apr 2011
Wish that had come into play when I was at high school. I nearly fainted  when we had to do the rats :S
ReplyQuote

LaurenVegan LaurenVegan VIC Posts: 37
4 12 Apr 2011
That's awesome news! I remember when I was in high school we didn't do rats but we did lungs and eyes and things from a cow I presume!? I refused to do it and or teased and also got eyes and things thrown at me by immature boys!
ReplyQuote

5 12 Apr 2011
Jane said:
That's FABULOUS news! ecstatic
Which university is this?
Griffith University happy
ReplyQuote

Kaedee Kaedee QLD Posts: 54
6 22 Apr 2011
Yeah, I'm at griffith too, and they showed us the program for frog dissection too! Such a great idea!
ReplyQuote

Fish Lover Fish Lover VIC Posts: 16
7 22 Apr 2011
I'm only at high school but still have to do dissections next year. I really don't want to but if you don't do it you don't get as high of a mark. I'll stand by my beliefs, but you should be given a full choice.
ReplyQuote

8 22 Apr 2011
You should have a choice! As part of m degree at uni we looked at a web based program that simulates the dissection of a toad. Schools can subscribe and students can then do the dissection online.

So much better then whan I had at school, students were expected to catch their own toad. I refused to.
ReplyQuote

9 22 Apr 2011
Kaedee said:
Yeah, I'm at griffith too, and they showed us the program for frog dissection too! Such a great idea!
Please say you're at GC campus! I haven't found any other animal rights people at uni yet
ReplyQuote

10 22 Apr 2011
I'm at mount gravatt, but transferring to gold coast next semester, as I live on the gold coast happy
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au