Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Favourite Curry Recipes

What is your favourite vegetarian or vegan curry recipes?

1 - 7 of 7 posts

Heather. Heather. QLD Posts: 230
1 12 Apr 2011
Hello everyone, how are you all?  A few days ago I had a vegetarian curry at spicy bite an Indian restaurant in town and it was very delicious. I have not tried making my own yet but I would love to give it a shot. I just don't know where to start. So it would be greatly appreciated if any of you could give me some help. Thank you happy
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
2 12 Apr 2011
I like to make a basic chickpea curry by sweating chopped onion and garlic, then adding a few tablespoons of curry powder, when aromatic add in a tin of diced tomatoes, then fill the tin with water (to collect any extra tomato) and add a tablespoon of vege stock powder.
Add chickpeas and diced carrot and cook until carrot is soft. add spinach at the end to wilt. You can serve it with rice if you want, but sometimes I prefer to eat it without it.
ReplyQuote

Lars Lars NSW Posts: 825
3 12 Apr 2011
that sounds yum!

I always make Red Lentil Dhal, so yum!!

1 cup red lentils (dried)
2 cups stock
1 onion chopped
1 potato chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 can of diced tomatos
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander seed (pweder)
a dash of tumeric
a dash of chilli powder (it up to you how much you want)
half a can of coconut milk

(optional: brocolli, chickpeas, spinach etc)

Bring the stock to a boil in a pot, add the lentils, potato and tumeric and them simmer
saute the onion and garlic until it starts to brown, add the cumin, coriander and chilli.
add the onion etc to the lentils, throw in the can of tomatos and simmer for 15 minutes

then mix in the coconut milk and serve with papadums. YUM!

I make this allll the time
ReplyQuote

Side Effect Side Effect QLD Posts: 4
4 12 Apr 2011
Coconut korma

Ingredients

60ml oil
125g sliced onion
2 cloves chopped garlic
1 inch piece of Ginger, peeled and grated
3 cardamom pods, split
1 tablespoon curry paste
1 tablespoon tomato puree
400g chopped tomatoes
75g red lentils
350g tofu, cubed
500g seasonal vegetables, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
Salt and pepper
600 ml vegetable stock
150 ml coconut milk
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
Rice, to serve

Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large deep frying pan. Fry onion, garlic, Ginger and cardamom pods for five minutes. Add curry paste, tomato puree, tomatoes and lentils. Cook for further 10 minutes.
Heat the remaining oil in a separate pan and stir fry tofu for five minutes. Add the vegetables and spices, season and cook for ten minutes. Stir in the tomato and lentil mixture. Add stock, cover and simmer for twenty minutes or until lentils are almost cooked, stirring occasionally. Stir in the coconut milk and coriander, reserving a little for garnish. Cook uncovered for a further ten minutes. Garnish with coriander and serve with rice.

I cook this at least once a fortnight.  The amounts are just a guide, I tend to use almost double the ingrediants in some cases, so I have plenty of left overs happy
ReplyQuote

Side Effect Side Effect QLD Posts: 4
5 12 Apr 2011
Veggies I use are potatoes (lots of potatoes), carrot, Broccoli and cauliflower  peace
ReplyQuote

...2 ...2 WA Posts: 2307
6 12 Apr 2011
I just like to make it up as I go along, with whatever's in the fridge/pantry. Lentils, chickpeas, veggies... they're all good. If you know the basics, it's easy.

You don't need curry paste either. I usually make my own at home. It's easy. happy
ReplyQuote

Heather. Heather. QLD Posts: 230
7 12 Apr 2011
Thank you everyone they all sound really nice,  I'll have to try them soon. ^_^
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au