Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

So I'm feeling kinda lonely of late D=

11 - 20 of 32 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

Shoogs Shoogs QLD Posts: 114
11 7 Sep 2009
I'm in a similar situation. I don't know any vegans in person, but I'm lucky to have understanding family and friends - for the most part. A few have very open minds and have started to think more about what they eat and the products they use, though I have learned it's best not to try and convert people (despite how much I disagree with their diet and philosophies). They have to want to do it for themselves.
I'm a member of the Veg society of Qld although I'm yet to attend an actual dinner or function. I'm not sure what it is, but I just feel a bit isolated from that group - it may be an age thing, I don't know. I just feel I fit in better here happy
Good luck on your vegan journey happy
ReplyQuote

littlemisstofu littlemisstofu QLD Posts: 94
12 7 Sep 2009
Wow... i didn't realise there was so much stuff going on around Brisbane!...i cant wait till i leave school!! (im planning to go to uni in brisbane)
ReplyQuote

Amelia! Amelia! QLD Posts: 143
13 7 Sep 2009
Jesse said:
Amelia! said:
I just found something now, called the Vegetarian/Vegan society of Queensland. So I'd like to perhaps get involved with them ^^
I'd definitely recommend you get in touch with them. There are some lovely people at the Veg Society of QLD. They have the occasional social dinner, and also used to have regular leafleting. Not sure if it's happening at the moment.

You might also like to check out Vegan Meet Up for Brisbane. I believe they meet once a month for lunch: http://www.meetup.com/brisbane-vegans/
Ahh, thank-you! I've emailed the Vegan Society of QLD and I think I might go along to some of their dinners. And I've just RSVP'd to that other site (so far, its just me and my mum who are going to that next event xD). Thank-you very much for your help!
ReplyQuote

Amelia! Amelia! QLD Posts: 143
14 7 Sep 2009
Shoogs said:
I'm in a similar situation. I don't know any vegans in person, but I'm lucky to have understanding family and friends - for the most part. A few have very open minds and have started to think more about what they eat and the products they use, though I have learned it's best not to try and convert people (despite how much I disagree with their diet and philosophies). They have to want to do it for themselves.
I'm a member of the Veg society of Qld although I'm yet to attend an actual dinner or function. I'm not sure what it is, but I just feel a bit isolated from that group - it may be an age thing, I don't know. I just feel I fit in better here happy
Well, when I was talking to the person from the Vegetarian and Vegan Society of QLD, I asked what the age groups are. And she said there are people of all ages, a few teens, and quite a few people in their twenties. So I'm sure you'd make some friends if you decided to come along! Yea, my family and friends are understanding a fair percentage of the time, but they have their days when they're not.
ReplyQuote

Earth Earth QLD Posts: 11
15 7 Sep 2009
I'm lonely too  sad
I think i'd probably go insane if there wasn't websites like this.
ReplyQuote

birdie birdie VIC Posts: 393
17 7 Sep 2009
Biophiliac said:
I think the answer to our loneliness is obvious..

We need to go form a self-sustained vegan village somewhere out in the desert... We can live there in harmony for the rest of our days..

Problem solvered happy
nice dream you have there.. i don't happen to be a vegan but if i had the support from close family and friends i would give it a try.. it's already confronting enough to handle social situations at times with my fussiness.. thank goodness that my mum let's me do my own food shopping.. that's something in itself!
ReplyQuote

Shoogs Shoogs QLD Posts: 114
18 7 Sep 2009
Amelia! said:
Shoogs said:
Well, when I was talking to the person from the Vegetarian and Vegan Society of QLD, I asked what the age groups are. And she said there are people of all ages, a few teens, and quite a few people in their twenties. So I'm sure you'd make some friends if you decided to come along! Yea, my family and friends are understanding a fair percentage of the time, but they have their days when they're not.
Okay I admit it... I'm just too shy to go along to events where everyone knows each other and I'm the new kid ashamed2
I'm in my twenties, so that's reassuring that there are a few in that age group on the site though.
ReplyQuote

Jesse Jesse VIC Posts: 1117
19 8 Sep 2009
Unleashed Admin
Shoogs said:
Okay I admit it... I'm just too shy to go along to events where everyone knows each other and I'm the new kid ashamed2
I'm in my twenties, so that's reassuring that there are a few in that age group on the site though.
I know it can be hard to enter a new social scene for the first time .. but keep this in mind:
There are always people coming and going from these groups. So there are always bound to be a few other first timers.

These are caring compassionate people, so they're bound to be open and welcoming (and in the case of Veg Soc QLD, I can vouch for the fact there are many wonderful people who go to those dinners happy

Give it a shot, they won't bite (they've veg after all wink). If you're too shy to go alone, then try and drag a friend along.
ReplyQuote

- Kitty Freak - - Kitty Freak - SA Posts: 1071
20 8 Sep 2009
Jesse said:
Shoogs said:
I know it can be hard to enter a new social scene for the first time .. but keep this in mind:
There are always people coming and going from these groups. So there are always bound to be a few other first timers.

These are caring compassionate people, so they're bound to be open and welcoming (and in the case of Veg Soc QLD, I can vouch for the fact there are many wonderful people who go to those dinners happy

Give it a shot, they won't bite (they've veg after all wink). If you're too shy to go alone, then try and drag a friend along.
i was heaps nervous the first time i went to the jumps protest, but everyone was so nice it was hard to not fit in tongue
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au