Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

So I'm feeling kinda lonely of late D=

21 - 30 of 32 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

Amelia! Amelia! QLD Posts: 143
21 8 Sep 2009
Shoogs said:
Amelia! said:
Shoogs said:
I'm in a similar situation. I don't know any vegans in person, but I'm lucky to have understanding family and friends - for the most part. A few have very open minds and have started to think more about what they eat and the products they use, though I have learned it's best not to try and convert people (despite how much I disagree with their diet and philosophies). They have to want to do it for themselves.
I'm a member of the Veg society of Qld although I'm yet to attend an actual dinner or function. I'm not sure what it is, but I just feel a bit isolated from that group - it may be an age thing, I don't know. I just feel I fit in better here happy
Good luck on your vegan journey happy
Well, when I was talking to the person from the Vegetarian and Vegan Society of QLD, I asked what the age groups are. And she said there are people of all ages, a few teens, and quite a few people in their twenties. So I'm sure you'd make some friends if you decided to come along! Yea, my family and friends are understanding a fair percentage of the time, but they have their days when they're not.
Okay I admit it... I'm just too shy to go along to events where everyone knows each other and I'm the new kid ashamed2
I'm in my twenties, so that's reassuring that there are a few in that age group on the site though.
Well, we should both go to the same one, so we can be newbies together! And yea, I've been to other things (completely unrelated things) where  I'm the new kid, but people welcome and accept you because you're all like minded people and you're all there for the same reason. And I'm a really shy person in RL (I never shut up on the internet cause I'm not face to face with people, if that makes sense). And when I came to my new school, I did not say a word to a single person for like 2 months. So I know how you feel. But just go along and have fun ^^
ReplyQuote

Shoogs Shoogs QLD Posts: 114
22 9 Sep 2009
Amelia! said:
Shoogs said:
Amelia! said:
Shoogs said:
I'm in a similar situation. I don't know any vegans in person, but I'm lucky to have understanding family and friends - for the most part. A few have very open minds and have started to think more about what they eat and the products they use, though I have learned it's best not to try and convert people (despite how much I disagree with their diet and philosophies). They have to want to do it for themselves.
I'm a member of the Veg society of Qld although I'm yet to attend an actual dinner or function. I'm not sure what it is, but I just feel a bit isolated from that group - it may be an age thing, I don't know. I just feel I fit in better here happy
Good luck on your vegan journey happy
Well, when I was talking to the person from the Vegetarian and Vegan Society of QLD, I asked what the age groups are. And she said there are people of all ages, a few teens, and quite a few people in their twenties. So I'm sure you'd make some friends if you decided to come along! Yea, my family and friends are understanding a fair percentage of the time, but they have their days when they're not.
Okay I admit it... I'm just too shy to go along to events where everyone knows each other and I'm the new kid ashamed2
I'm in my twenties, so that's reassuring that there are a few in that age group on the site though.
Well, we should both go to the same one, so we can be newbies together! And yea, I've been to other things (completely unrelated things) where  I'm the new kid, but people welcome and accept you because you're all like minded people and you're all there for the same reason. And I'm a really shy person in RL (I never shut up on the internet cause I'm not face to face with people, if that makes sense). And when I came to my new school, I did not say a word to a single person for like 2 months. So I know how you feel. But just go along and have fun ^^
I'd definitely be up for that! I'm much the same as you - not so shy on the internet and not shy at work and doing work-related things... but shy when it comes to going to a meet up like that. I guess because I'm not used to knowing other vegans in real life!! It's all too exciting for my brain to comprehend :p
ReplyQuote

Earth Earth QLD Posts: 11
23 9 Sep 2009
Biophiliac said:
I think the answer to our loneliness is obvious..

We need to go form a self-sustained vegan village somewhere out in the desert... We can live there in harmony for the rest of our days..

Problem solvered happy
ahhh, thats an awesome idea, but im not all that keen on deserts, a vegan can dream...  happy
ReplyQuote

Frenzal bop Frenzal bop SA Posts: 778
24 9 Sep 2009
I used to go to all the animal lib general meetings and events though about a year and a half ago my anxiety got rely bad again and i had to stop going. I used to enjoy going there it was educational.

I am a rely shy and extremely anti-social person and generally prefer to be alone or if not alone with my cats. Its taken me almost 2 months to ask a girl on a second date out of fear of rejection... i know i suck.
ReplyQuote

ckimana ckimana NSW Posts: 2545
25 9 Sep 2009
Frenzal Bop said:
I used to go to all the animal lib general meetings and events though about a year and a half ago my anxiety got rely bad again and i had to stop going. I used to enjoy going there it was educational.

I am a rely shy and extremely anti-social person and generally prefer to be alone or if not alone with my cats. Its taken me almost 2 months to ask a girl on a second date out of fear of rejection... i know i suck.
You don't suck Bop!  beaverhug

If you start going to the meetings again will you feel better to be surrounded with like-minded ppl? I'm shy too and I met you and the others on other forums years ago and still haven't met any in real life!
ReplyQuote

Mel Mel NSW Posts: 289
26 9 Sep 2009
Frenzal Bop said:

hey! I can imagine how you feel. I also suffer from anxiety now and again. It's why i ha to stop being a vet nursing. I would just freeze up and have heart palpultations, so I eventually decided I wasnt doing the animals any good being like that.
The only way to get past these things though is to work a way to calm yourself (like a meditation you can do inside your mind, or a visualisation of a calming situation) and to confront the places you really want to go to.
My friend taught me this one visualisation where you imagine eating an apple (or other fruit you really enjoy) really slowly. Really go into detail, thinking about every single bite in slow motion and imagine how delicious it is and the juices coming out of the fruit and being so refreshing.
If you train your mind this way, soon enough just thinking about the fruit itself will produce a calming effect!

Of course it takes a lot of practice, but it is worth it!
ReplyQuote

Frenzal bop Frenzal bop SA Posts: 778
27 9 Sep 2009
Mel said:
Frenzal Bop said:

hey! I can imagine how you feel. I also suffer from anxiety now and again. It's why i ha to stop being a vet nursing. I would just freeze up and have heart palpultations, so I eventually decided I wasnt doing the animals any good being like that.
The only way to get past these things though is to work a way to calm yourself (like a meditation you can do inside your mind, or a visualisation of a calming situation) and to confront the places you really want to go to.
My friend taught me this one visualisation where you imagine eating an apple (or other fruit you really enjoy) really slowly. Really go into detail, thinking about every single bite in slow motion and imagine how delicious it is and the juices coming out of the fruit and being so refreshing.
If you train your mind this way, soon enough just thinking about the fruit itself will produce a calming effect!

That sounds like a good idea.

I try to entertain my mind while im having panic attacks wether it be focusing on something else or listening to music. Though i cant go into built up areas like the city where their is no easy escape nor can i be in crouded rooms or be more then a hours drive away from my home. I can only go to one pub cos its local and they have a outdoors area so i don't have to be inside with the people.

Its f**ked up i know.
ReplyQuote

x.Tara x.Tara NSW Posts: 357
28 10 Sep 2009
Frenzal Bop said:
Mel said:
Frenzal Bop said:

That sounds like a good idea.

I try to entertain my mind while im having panic attacks wether it be focusing on something else or listening to music. Though i cant go into built up areas like the city where their is no easy escape nor can i be in crouded rooms or be more then a hours drive away from my home. I can only go to one pub cos its local and they have a outdoors area so i don't have to be inside with the people.

Its f**ked up i know.
claustrophobia? can't say I suffer from that sort of thing but I'm very frightened of the world =P I stress about my future so much that sometimes I just wanna curl up and disappear. i'm so scared of failure. i picture myself, single, 30, unemployed and fat =O
ReplyQuote

A-Town A-Town SA Posts: 6
29 10 Sep 2009
None of my mates are vego or vegan, so they just accept it and yeah.
Met a few vego people, but not tons.
Closest one would be a girl i work with.
ReplyQuote

advoc8 advoc8 SA Posts: 179
30 11 Sep 2009
Animal Liberation QLD are fantastic. Why not go to some of their meetings. You can get active for animals with lots of like-minded people.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au