Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Help me tell the faux from the real!

1 - 6 of 6 posts

Britti Britti QLD Posts: 24
1 14 Apr 2011
I'm so paranoid now, that I might have wool or leather clothing items in my wardrobe! Like beanies and stuff.
I don't think I would though,  I'm pretty sure its all fake to my knowledge (I would never buy real animal skin on purpose (just vomited in my mouth a little bit)), but now I just read here on Unleashed that some items say they are fake when in actual fact, they might be real.

I just need to know some tips on how to test for real and fake. This goes for every type of animal skin please.

I'm such an idiot, because I cut the tags off everything! They itch me sad  lol
So I need some other ways of testing some of my older clothes that I didnt really think about before.

I'd really appriciate any tips guys!

P.S While we're on the subject, how do you guys go about staying away from products tested on animals and how do you identify them. This question is mostly for the ladies on here for example: makeup, shampoo, hair dye, face wash etc

Thanks x
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
2 15 Apr 2011
Well for the p.s bit you can go to shops like Lush and the body shops since their products are at least vegetarian and aren't tested on animals. But some people wont buy from the body shopsince it is owned by Loreal?

Um... and like there is loads of lists onthe net about what brand to use and what not to use. Even some threads.

Well i think when something says it is faux there may be a slim chance it is real but not that likley. like fur and leather is what most people like and see as a luxury so it is usually on the tag... but i guess thats too late lol i think. sorry i haven't been much help lol.
ReplyQuote

Val Val NSW Posts: 339
3 15 Apr 2011
I wish I could help! But unfortuantely I dont know how to tell real fur from fake sad I wanted to know that too
ReplyQuote

Ellim Ellim United Kingdom Posts: 480
4 15 Apr 2011
Fur is usually quite easy!  If you push the hairs apart and look at the 'skin' and it's cloth weave (you may have to pull the hairs right apart) then it's fake!  There are some good pictures on this PDF to help you:http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/fur/field-guide-on-real-vs-fake-fur-final.pdf

You can also pluck a few hair fibers out and burn them - real fur with burn, whereas fake fibers will melt.
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
5 15 Apr 2011
There were some tips on the unleashed site somewhere… is there a search bar on this thing?

Anyway, you can tell if you pull out a few hairs and burn them. I think its when they smell like burning human or animal hair, or it singes that its animal hair, I'm not totally sure…
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
6 15 Apr 2011
EJay said:
Fur is usually quite easy!  If you push the hairs apart and look at the 'skin' and it's cloth weave (you may have to pull the hairs right apart) then it's fake!  There are some good pictures on this PDF to help you:http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/pdfs/fur/field-guide-on-real-vs-fake-fur-final.pdf

You can also pluck a few hair fibers out and burn them - real fur with burn, whereas fake fibers will melt.
Oh, I didn't see that! And here is a place you can buy some good looking faux fur!
http://fabulousfurs.com/
ReplyQuote

Unleashed

This page was printed from Animals Australia Unleashed's website (www.unleashed.org.au).