Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Make my own chocolates for Easter!

But not sure where to start...

1 - 10 of 12 posts   1 | 2  

Chip Chip VIC Posts: 168
1 16 Apr 2011
Hello everyone! Sorry if this is something that has already been asked; I haven't been on here in months and I checked the last few pages and didn't see anything so... yes, hopefully I'm the first to have asked.

I made the decision months ago that I don't want any chocolate this Easter from anybody because well... they're likely to buy Cadbury or something I don't want so I figured I'd just make some choccies myself! Then, I can give these to everyone and happily eat them myselves.

Here's my issue though; I've never melted chocolate before and I'm not sure whether there is a specific type of chocolate for melting. I LOVE Sweet Williams' chocolate so I'd love to use that if possible, I have a bag of their chocolate chips in the fridge and certainly won't complain if I have to buy more. Otherwise, I'm not quite sure how to go about this? Any tips?

Thanks!!
-Chip
P.S. What is the best way to melt chocolate?
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
2 16 Apr 2011
I think the best way to melt chocolate is the double boiler method. Put water in a pot or saucepan and bring it to the boil, put your chocolate in a heat proof glass bowl, and put the bowl on the pot or saucepan. When chocolate melts and begins to set again, it goes really horrible, and is hard to re-melt. With the double boiler method you can regulate the heat to keep the chocolate heated, so that it can't set.

Just use any chocolate that you like, I would definitely use the Sweet William chocolate chips. Yum! Easter egg moulds might come in handy too! happy
ReplyQuote

meh meh NSW Posts: 2674
3 16 Apr 2011
It's better to get cooking chocolate. The best way to melt it is to get a pot of water and bring up the heat, then place another pot or bowl on top of the first one, with the chocolate inside. Try not to make contact between the water and chocolate, otherwise big mess.

You can try adding different things to the choc if you want to make it special, like peanut butter, glazed cherries, marshmallows - make like a rocky road if you want, lol!

They'll be lots of tips and recipes on how to do it online...
ReplyQuote

4 16 Apr 2011
BTW, I've made my own chocolate before, and no one knew they were home made...they were THAT awesome! I bought some moulds to stick the choc in (heart shaped ones), then put it in the freezer...as I mixed it with peanut butter the fridge apparently didn't want to work with me, so I had to use the freezer...
ReplyQuote

5 16 Apr 2011
Where do you actually get moulds from? I think I might make my own easter choccies too. ecstatic
ReplyQuote

6 16 Apr 2011
Maggie said:
Where do you actually get moulds from? I think I might make my own easter choccies too. ecstatic
I got some from Big W but I'm sure you can get them pretty much anywhere. Usually in the cooking section. I got those bendi-moulds so I could easily push out the chocs.

BTW, I just found this and I'm drooling!

http://www.sweetandsara.com/cart.php
ReplyQuote

7 16 Apr 2011
sarahbentvelzen said:
Maggie said:
I got some from Big W but I'm sure you can get them pretty much anywhere. Usually in the cooking section. I got those bendi-moulds so I could easily push out the chocs.

BTW, I just found this and I'm drooling!

http://www.sweetandsara.com/cart.php
Vegan smores!!!! ecstatic
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
8 16 Apr 2011
There is Lindt 70% cooking chocolate that is vegan, and it's in the baking section of most supermarkets.
ReplyQuote

Chip Chip VIC Posts: 168
9 16 Apr 2011
Thanks you two, I'm going to get on this one right away! *Runs to Big W* ecstatic Amazing chocolate awaits!
ReplyQuote

ecochick ecochick SA Posts: 214
10 16 Apr 2011
www.chocart.com.au
my mum sells chocolate moulds happy
there should be lots of tips on there! and the site is 100% secure and she is very fast. I see them being packed and sent, and sometimes i even help out. and believe me, there is nearly every imaginable mould on there!
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au