Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

My chook

RIP Penny :(

1 - 6 of 6 posts

ecochick ecochick SA Posts: 214
1 18 Apr 2011
the other week i walked into our veggie garden where our chooks live and one of them was laying on her side with her eyes partially shut. I thought she was dead. But she wasn't, in fact when i bought her in for the night she seemed fine. but the next day we took her to the vet (well, mum took her because i was in school at the time, but then she came back after recess to get me so the vet could explain it to me).
It didn't end well. She had to be put down. The vet said he wouldn't know for sure what was wrong without an autopsy; but he said this sort of thing was quite common in chickens. It may have been a tomour or cancer in her intestienes or something in her digestive tract. Anyway, to my point. I was a lot more upset than i thought i would be. actually, the vet would've thought i was a bit of a retard, crying over a chicken cry. I couldn't even go back to school- i spent the rest of the day watching movies and doing nothing. i'm sort of worried about my other chook too- they're not supposed to be solitary animals! and the poor dear sat by the gate for the whole day! sad sorry had to vent  ashamed2
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
2 18 Apr 2011
That's so sad!! Poor Penny! I hope you're okay. Is the vet going to do an autopsy?

I was crying like a waterfall when we had to put my sheep down. It's not weird to cry over farm animals. happy
ReplyQuote

ecochick ecochick SA Posts: 214
3 18 Apr 2011
Maggie said:
That's so sad!! Poor Penny! I hope you're okay. Is the vet going to do an autopsy?

I was crying like a waterfall when we had to put my sheep down. It's not weird to cry over farm animals. happy
Thank you  love it was going to be too much for an autopsy, but he made sure he showed me the symptoms in case our other chook gets sick
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
4 18 Apr 2011
im sorry to hear about penny, hope u are ok. how are your other chooks ?

when will u knoow the autopsy report? dw the vet though i was werid when i brpught in a day old chick to get put down and i was a mess when i left the vet. plus farm animals are no diffrent to a dog or cat.
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
5 18 Apr 2011
I'm very sorry to hear that. I know how hard it is to lose an animal companion sad
I'd watch over the other chook for a while, I know that when Bob (dog) died, Lilly (also a dog) was sad for weeks. She still is. She wouldn't bark for 2 weeks and would just sleep all day. Don't worry about what the vet thought, I'm sure he/she would understand. Having a bond with an animal is a beautiful thing and it is devastating when the animal (or human) passes away. I broke down at the vets when we took Bob there to be cremated, but the vet understood and was nice about it.
Take care & I'm always here if you need to talk happy
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
6 19 Apr 2011
Thats so sad for Penny! I am so sorry sad
If I was sitting next to you, I'd give you a big hug!  beaverhug

I can understand you crying over your chicken. I used to keep snails, and someone stepped on my favourite, and I cried. When my fish died I cried as well, so I can understand crying over a chicken. And many people think its silly to cry over those things, but its really not…

Anyway, big hugs from me  beaverhug
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au