Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Siamese Fighting Fish Cruelty

1 - 10 of 17 posts   1 | 2  

Fish Lover Fish Lover VIC Posts: 16
1 20 Apr 2011
I personally have started a large tank setup in my spare room to give Siamese Fighting Fish a life. If anyone has ever been into a pet shop and seen the tiny little bowls they keep them in you will know how horrible it is. I have a large tank with individual segments for each fish and in each segment there are plants, driftwood and a bubble wall. You would be amazed at the way they show off their fins, its beautiful! If anyone has anything to say please say it!
ReplyQuote

2 20 Apr 2011
I have rescued 4 that weren't looking to good
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
3 20 Apr 2011
we rescued 2 b4, they are gawjus fish. its horrible how they are kept. but i dont have a aquarium anymore. we just have fish in the water troths happy
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
4 20 Apr 2011
I used to have lots of Bettas. I kept them in horrible little tanks, with no filter, no room to move, and only one decoration. sad Not surprisingly all of them died within months, the longest one suffered for just over a year. We have one Betta now, he lives in a large filtered tank, with numerous decorations and lots of room to move. happy
ReplyQuote

Catyren Catyren WA Posts: 542
5 20 Apr 2011
a note on siamese fighting fish: you need to regulate the temperature of the water because they are tropical fish. the reason they never move in the fish tanks in the stores is because the water is too cold. also, are the partitions see-through between the tanks? if they are then they'll probably try to fight through them.
ReplyQuote

6 20 Apr 2011
The tank is heated and the barrier thingys are not see through, i was cautious happy
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
7 20 Apr 2011
Catyren said:
a note on siamese fighting fish: you need to regulate the temperature of the water because they are tropical fish. the reason they never move in the fish tanks in the stores is because the water is too cold. also, are the partitions see-through between the tanks? if they are then they'll probably try to fight through them.
Some very sick people actually put mirrors in front of the fish, they've been known to fight with themselves to the point of exhaustion and even death. sad
ReplyQuote

Akasha213 Akasha213 VIC Posts: 227
8 20 Apr 2011
I love Siamese fighting fish!! They are so beautiful!!!

I used to have them but cats always found a way to get to them so I had to give up. It was ok when I only had one cat. He wasnt interested. But when the other cats came along there was no chance sad They got to the first fish and I was so upset. After a while I tried again a coupel of times with the tank in different spots. But they still found a way. Stupid clever persistant cats!!

I wish I could afford and had room for a big tank in a cabinet that they couldnt get into. I often see them at the pet shop and wish I could them home.
ReplyQuote

ok ok NSW Posts: 232
9 20 Apr 2011
I've always found it interesting how people think because they cant be put together that you should buy two and keep them separated in a tiny split "tank" with a clear wall?

I see no problem with keeping them in a large tank like you are happy

They are probably better of there than our ocean nowadays anyway.
ReplyQuote

Dylan2 Dylan2 NSW Posts: 4
10 14 Mar 2014
Hey. if anybody is interested you should look up where the fish originated from and its natural habitat.

you will find that they live in the wild jumping from puddle to puddle. these small bodies of water are usually low in oxygen so the fish has developed a useful adaptation to gulp air into its mouth, increasing the dissolved oxygen in the water around the bubble which then goes to its gills and into the blood stream.

the term 'fighting' in fighting fish refers to their way of claiming territories. if a male i in his own puddle he doesn't want another male to jump in with him, he is waiting for a girl. So when a rival male jumps in he flares up showing how big he is, if the intruder is smaller and thinks he will loose he will jump out in search for his own puddle. if the intruder is bigger or willing to take the original resident on, they will start nipping each others fins. eventually one will jump out and continue on a search for his own puddle.

when a female jumps in he will court her and build a bubble nest on the surface and encourage her to lay her eggs then inseminate them as they are laid. After she lays her eggs she will jump out and continue her journey.
The male then cares for and hatches the eggs and looks after the babies for a short while, then the babies start searching for new puddles.

And yes, the commercial fish are different to wild ones, they have been breed for colour and tail types but the slight changes in physical appearance would not have changed their Physiological structures.  

so really when you think about the origin of the fish they're not evolved for large volumes of water, or fast moving water either, so to keep them happiest they should be kept in around 1 to 2L of water. when in a shop they can be in less than that, they should be getting more attention and generally will be cleaned/have water changed more often, and are more than likely sold within 1 or 2 weeks.

I hope that clarifies any worries you have about the housing of Siamese Fighters.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au