Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

What about the bee's?

1 - 10 of 18 posts   1 | 2  

Fish Lover Fish Lover VIC Posts: 16
1 21 Apr 2011
When you think vegetarian you think of not eating meat, dairy and seafood.But what about the little guys? BEE'S! We farm bee's like any other animal and then when we are hungry we break into their homes and smoke them! That doesn't sound too nice, doe's it? It makes sense that bee's aren't the first things that we think of when we hear vegetarian, their small and don't live to do that much. It has been proven that bee's feel pain so why do we not care? Because they are not large enough to be considered as a "pet" or cuddly animal. So next time you go to a supermarket and see honey sitting there on the shelf, spare a thought for the little guy, BEE'S!
ReplyQuote

psychokitten psychokitten QLD Posts: 340
2 21 Apr 2011
I define Vegetarianism as not eating anything an animal has died for and Veganism as not eating anything an animal has suffered for or died for.
So, no, I don't imagine Vegetarians think about bees, if they did they'd think about a lot of other things as well and be Vegan instead.
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
3 21 Apr 2011
People call me all sorts of names for refusing to eat honey. sad But just because they're small, and just because they're insects, doesn't mean they're any less capable for suffering. Bees make honey for themselves, not for us!
ReplyQuote

Contreras Contreras NSW Posts: 349
4 21 Apr 2011
Fish Lover said:
When you think vegetarian you think of not eating meat, dairy and seafood.But what about the little guys? BEE'S! We farm bee's like any other animal and then when we are hungry we break into their homes and smoke them! That doesn't sound too nice, doe's it? It makes sense that bee's aren't the first things that we think of when we hear vegetarian, their small and don't live to do that much. It has been proven that bee's feel pain so why do we not care? Because they are not large enough to be considered as a "pet" or cuddly animal. So next time you go to a supermarket and see honey sitting there on the shelf, spare a thought for the little guy, BEE'S!
Vegans by definition don't eat honey, some vegetarians still do which is understandable considering they still drink milk and eat eggs which are also full of cruelty. Vnv has some nice points on the honey question - http://www.vnv.org.au/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=126&Itemid=61
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
5 21 Apr 2011
I also think its terrible that we are stealing a hive of bee's honey, when bees are one of the most amazing creatures to roam the earth. Everything is perfect in the hive, its all figured out how it will work, and those poor guys work their bums off, you think?

I try to avoid honey as much as I can, and my parents always say "Why? The bees are fine" Thhbppt!
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
6 21 Apr 2011
Apostrophes... I'm dying.   confused
ReplyQuote

TheSixthStitch TheSixthStitch Aruba Posts: 988
7 21 Apr 2011
Kirrilly said:
its nothing to worry about, really... wink
ReplyQuote

psychokitten psychokitten QLD Posts: 340
8 21 Apr 2011
Kirrilly said:
Lol there's plenty of 'em!
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
9 21 Apr 2011
TheSixthStitch said:
Kirrilly said:
its nothing to worry about, really... wink
Haha noooo! sad Messing with my mind.
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
10 22 Apr 2011
Bees are the only creatures we can obtain products from without suffering. The smoke does not hurt them, it calms them and their home isn't really broken. The bee farmers I know can harvest honey without nets or gloves on (though oh&s wise they should) bees are not harmed at all.

Given that I wont eat honey from a place I don't know how the bees are treated- I will get honey from a local farmer when Im in Victoria because I know he's humane.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au