Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

GMO Foods

Fish Genes in Tomatoes, Strawberries...Argh!

1 - 10 of 31 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

TofuUnleashed TofuUnleashed TAS Posts: 986
1 26 Apr 2011
I was listening to Vegan Freak a couple of weeks ago and they briefly talked about Genetically Modified tomatoes and strawberries, and how they can have fish genes put in them. Bob & Jenna both agreed that these foods are not vegan. So...does anyone know the state of GMO foods in your average Australian supermarket. If they don't say Non GMO, are they likely to be Genetically Modified, and are they likely to be Genetically Modified in an un-vegan way?
I don't like the idea of GMO to start with, but I don't have complete control over what food we buy, so...should I be worried about toatoes and other foods being 'not vegan'?
confused

Thanks! thumb
ReplyQuote

ok ok NSW Posts: 232
2 26 Apr 2011
I often wonder that myself. Ive been considering making the switch to organic only, but our grocery bill is already so big!!!! I think the only way to be sure is to go organic because im assuming they have to test GM food on animals to see if it makes them sick? But thats just speculation... i dont have any backing for it.
ReplyQuote

3 26 Apr 2011
May-Z said:
I often wonder that myself. Ive been considering making the switch to organic only, but our grocery bill is already so big!!!! I think the only way to be sure is to go organic because im assuming they have to test GM food on animals to see if it makes them sick? But thats just speculation... i dont have any backing for it.
When I move out (if I have the money) I am definitely going organic, and growing my own vegies! broccoli
ReplyQuote

ok ok NSW Posts: 232
4 26 Apr 2011
ReplyQuote

5 26 Apr 2011
ReplyQuote

Contreras Contreras NSW Posts: 349
6 26 Apr 2011
TofuUnleashed said:
I was listening to Vegan Freak a couple of weeks ago and they briefly talked about Genetically Modified tomatoes and strawberries, and how they can have fish genes put in them. Bob & Jenna both agreed that these foods are not vegan. So...does anyone know the state of GMO foods in your average Australian supermarket. If they don't say Non GMO, are they likely to be Genetically Modified, and are they likely to be Genetically Modified in an un-vegan way?
I don't like the idea of GMO to start with, but I don't have complete control over what food we buy, so...should I be worried about toatoes and other foods being 'not vegan'?
confused

Thanks! thumb
Not sure but i wouldn't call them not vegan, considering Australia's farmers use blood and bone mixed fertilizers so if you were to call GMO foods non-vegan then you would have to go as far as to call every vegetable (not homegrown) non-vegan.
ReplyQuote

lividlotus lividlotus NSW Posts: 301
7 26 Apr 2011
Yvan said:
considering Australia's farmers use blood and bone mixed fertilizers so if you were to call GMO foods non-vegan then you would have to go as far as to call every vegetable (not homegrown) non-vegan.
That's a real eye opener there; thanks for bringing that into attention.
ReplyQuote

8 26 Apr 2011
Yvan said:
TofuUnleashed said:
confused

Thanks! thumb
Not sure but i wouldn't call them not vegan, considering Australia's farmers use blood and bone mixed fertilizers so if you were to call GMO foods non-vegan then you would have to go as far as to call every vegetable (not homegrown) non-vegan.
Good point, well made. But I guess the soil wouldn't actually be in the vegetable. confused
ReplyQuote

TechNyou TechNyou VIC Posts: 1
9 28 Apr 2011
Quick note: there is no such thing as GM tomatoes or strawberries anywhere in the world - at least none that are commerically available.  A full list of approved GM foods and an explananation about labelling laws for GM foods can be found on the Food Standards Australia New Zealand web site - www.foodstandards.gov.au There is also heaps of commentary on the TechNyou site - www.technyou.edu.au .  And just to confirm, none of the approved GM foods have animal genes in them.
Re: the issue of whether a food containing a gene from an animal (eg fish gene in tomato - which doesn't exist) would be vegan or not. This will be an issue for some, should such a thing occur, but I would be interested to know would you guys consider it vegan if that same gene they used from an animal was also found in a plant?  ie Humans share roughly 30-40% of their genes with plants, so it is conceivable that such an animal gene may also be found in plants.  Also, it is not like an animal died to get that gene, it is merely a copy. For example, to make insulin (or countless other drugs on the market) we take a copy of a human gene responsible for the production of insulin and insert it into bacteria. The bacteria become mini-factories for insulin production. We don't kill or maim humans to get that gene.
Jason, TechNyou
ReplyQuote

Contreras Contreras NSW Posts: 349
10 28 Apr 2011
TofuUnleashed said:
Yvan said:
TofuUnleashed said:
confused

Thanks! thumb
Good point, well made. But I guess the soil wouldn't actually be in the vegetable. confused
Maybe not but it's used to grow the vegetable and provide it nutrients.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au