Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

GMO Foods

Fish Genes in Tomatoes, Strawberries...Argh!

11 - 20 of 31 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

ok ok NSW Posts: 232
11 28 Apr 2011
Id just like to repeat this link

http://www.monsanto.com/products/Pages/animal-safety-assessment.aspx

They have to test GM food on Animals...
ReplyQuote

TofuUnleashed TofuUnleashed TAS Posts: 986
12 29 Apr 2011
Yvan said:
TofuUnleashed said:
Yvan said:
TofuUnleashed said:
I was listening to Vegan Freak a couple of weeks ago and they briefly talked about Genetically Modified tomatoes and strawberries, and how they can have fish genes put in them. Bob & Jenna both agreed that these foods are not vegan. So...does anyone know the state of GMO foods in your average Australian supermarket. If they don't say Non GMO, are they likely to be Genetically Modified, and are they likely to be Genetically Modified in an un-vegan way?
I don't like the idea of GMO to start with, but I don't have complete control over what food we buy, so...should I be worried about toatoes and other foods being 'not vegan'?
confused

Thanks! thumb
Not sure but i wouldn't call them not vegan, considering Australia's farmers use blood and bone mixed fertilizers so if you were to call GMO foods non-vegan then you would have to go as far as to call every vegetable (not homegrown) non-vegan.
Good point, well made. But I guess the soil wouldn't actually be in the vegetable. confused
Maybe not but it's used to grow the vegetable and provide it nutrients.
Yes, I agree. sad
ReplyQuote

James misty calvaruso James misty calvaruso NSW Posts: 77
13 3 May 2011
O.o Wow thanks for telling me I was just about to use tomato! I will defiantly switch to organic tomatoes and strawberries( depending on my budget)
ReplyQuote

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
14 30 Jan 2014
breaking news just in:
http://wholelifenutrition.net/gmo-free/are-gmos-safe/

french ppl are cute

awww great....
http://vimeo.com/84926578
he's got a wife.

(that is an informative link to GMO free buns with info about non GMO)

Interesting in mentioning that xanthum gum in america (from corn) is not GMO free as 85% of corn in america is GMO to survive roundup spraying to kill insects.
ReplyQuote

Ron Ron NSW Posts: 233
15 30 Jan 2014
Did anyone bother to read the post and links from TechNYou on the previous page?

Anyway, these get to the heart of the matter particularly the second link:

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/gmfood/gmoverview/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/gmfood/labelling/pages/default.aspx
ReplyQuote

16 30 Jan 2014
Ron said:
Did anyone bother to read the post and links from TechNYou on the previous page?

Anyway, these get to the heart of the matter particularly the second link:

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/gmfood/gmoverview/Pages/default.aspx

http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/gmfood/labelling/pages/default.aspx
Nope but I did sent them a 10 page e-mail basically sumarized as asking them about whether GMO needs to be labelled.... lol great. Hours wasted wink
ReplyQuote

17 31 Jan 2014
May-Z said:
I often wonder that myself. Ive been considering making the switch to organic only, but our grocery bill is already so big!!!! I think the only way to be sure is to go organic because im assuming they have to test GM food on animals to see if it makes them sick? But thats just speculation... i dont have any backing for it.
If you go Organic now rather than later, you are helping strengthen and support the Organic foundations and also depriving the more destructive alternatives, of their beloved profit.
Say that is one family? Can you imagine being friends with that family, supporting them while they go about doing all those things, big companies are 'ordered' to do? Which includes corrupting better businesses and gaining an ever greater cost/price gap, through treating their workers (the farmers) poorly and rewarding quantity over quality. Rewarding those who go GMO, those who care less about animals, which slows productivity and causes more ethical problems...caring.

Saying that.... I personally am opportunistic to Organic food. If I can I will.
But I don't feel like a Lion of Organic living.

But it is a nice way to look at it. Supporting a way of life you love happy
ReplyQuote

ox.kylie.xo ox.kylie.xo QLD Posts: 861
18 1 Feb 2014
Casper.s2 said:
May-Z said:
I often wonder that myself. Ive been considering making the switch to organic only, but our grocery bill is already so big!!!! I think the only way to be sure is to go organic because im assuming they have to test GM food on animals to see if it makes them sick? But thats just speculation... i dont have any backing for it.
If you go Organic now rather than later, you are helping strengthen and support the Organic foundations and also depriving the more destructive alternatives, of their beloved profit.
Say that is one family? Can you imagine being friends with that family, supporting them while they go about doing all those things, big companies are 'ordered' to do? Which includes corrupting better businesses and gaining an ever greater cost/price gap, through treating their workers (the farmers) poorly and rewarding quantity over quality. Rewarding those who go GMO, those who care less about animals, which slows productivity and causes more ethical problems...caring.

Im the same... i would always choose organic over GMO because of the animal testng involved and for the planets well being but while thats all good and well people need to remember that just because it is organic doesn't mean it is vegan... A lot of organic farmers actually use animal products as fertilizers... (Casper s2 - you said you wouldnt like to support large corporations that dont mesh with your beliefs... would you like to support a family using animal products? the reason I ask is because you have failed to notice or inform people of the potential betrail to their ethical life styles when choosing organic as it is not just GMO that is wrong)  It helps to always check the company before purchasing your produce...
ReplyQuote

19 2 Feb 2014
ox.kylie.xo said:
Casper.s2 said:
May-Z said:

Im the same... i would always choose organic over GMO because of the animal testng involved and for the planets well being but while thats all good and well people need to remember that just because it is organic doesn't mean it is vegan... A lot of organic farmers actually use animal products as fertilizers... (Casper s2 - you said you wouldnt like to support large corporations that dont mesh with your beliefs... would you like to support a family using animal products? the reason I ask is because you have failed to notice or inform people of the potential betrail to their ethical life styles when choosing organic as it is not just GMO that is wrong)  It helps to always check the company before purchasing your produce...
You're right, I have an ideal in my mind when I use the word Organic, whereby I am relying on the negative connotations of big businesses we hear so much about. You know the ones... who "own everything" petrol+++. to emphasize the analogy.

It is good to think of it in context of a family we would or wouldn't be friends with, because at the end of the day, that is who were are supporting; almost always. A family.

Of a tyrant, of clean freak, or an animal activist. what ever. or all of those things wink

But would we be friends with a family and support them, simply because they give us a "good deal"... when we know they cause so much adverse agonizing and stress. Also promote poor living standards, also are shit company to all of their ' ' ' friends ' ' '.

I think the Organic Farming Standards are rather stringent in Australia.

For example I was chatting with the lady who makes Tea Tonic teas,
while volunteering at aTourism Booth nearby (ADL Show Grounds).

She mentioned about the wild berry tea that "it is organic, but being wild berries,
it is too difficult to do the soil testing required to be certified".

Also... I think natural fertilizers are fine...

I mean...if you say they aren't then domestic animals truly have no purpose in our future,
besides being sympathy play things. If those animals can lead happy lives and their shit can enrich the future... I won't stand in the way of poogress.

(That's a lie. A herd of sacred domestic ruminant animals, might be a compromise I'd accept ove other worser case scenarios. In ecological terms. Is not the change I would be relieved to see.)

Fish fertilizers, not so much.

In Adelaide we had a kerfuffle about the sea-grass again this season. They once trucked it off to become fertilizer. But realized... 'hey it is easier to push back out to sea'.... so this year after deeming it illegal to take the seaweed home to use in local gardens by citizens... they paid to have it pushed back out by tractors.... the job entailed having been done... it was on the councils heads that it simply washed back in meters down the beach.

*sigh* people... they'd rather sign up to a payment plan of pumping sand up the now artificial beach, indefinitely... than suffer natures gift of a last chance before the pumps run.... for a few years....

What is a better sand trap than a big pile of seaweed? Idiots.

Just an observation that Government seems to have this tendency in the last decade of selling out their assets and creating projects with never ended rental or running costs... One way to perpetuate their necessity as accountants? "One for you, Nine for me..because we need it." *They say to themselves and the other hand, stamps the blankcheck through.*

Anyway GMO foods!Ignore me.
ReplyQuote

20 3 Feb 2014
Contreras said:
TofuUnleashed said:
I was listening to Vegan Freak a couple of weeks ago and they briefly talked about Genetically Modified tomatoes and strawberries, and how they can have fish genes put in them. Bob & Jenna both agreed that these foods are not vegan. So...does anyone know the state of GMO foods in your average Australian supermarket. If they don't say Non GMO, are they likely to be Genetically Modified, and are they likely to be Genetically Modified in an un-vegan way?
I don't like the idea of GMO to start with, but I don't have complete control over what food we buy, so...should I be worried about toatoes and other foods being 'not vegan'?
confused

Thanks! thumb
Not sure but i wouldn't call them not vegan, considering Australia's farmers use blood and bone mixed fertilizers so if you were to call GMO foods non-vegan then you would have to go as far as to call every vegetable (not homegrown) non-vegan.
Well see how calling yourself Vegan by a dietary fixation has let your standards drop?

Call it unVegan... call it unvegan until the meat industry dies... call it unVegan until there is no more ruins of the meat industry (blood and bone) left as surplus to flow over into plant fertilizers... call it unVegan until animals are dying naturally and providing their worth to soil ecology as of the previous millions of decades.

GMO isn't Vegan, when it 'harms animals' and when it alters vegetables, fruits, seeds and plants with animal genes! ESP when this supports the UNVEGAN industries of the world of profit.

Farming is unVegan, when intentuously causing the death of an animal, whether that is being hit in the head with a baseball bat, electrocuted, shot.... posioned, starved, neglected ... or ground up into dust and used for a boost in growing a short term corrupt, profit

IT IS NOT VEGAN.

Get that right....

Don't lower life style standards because of your own ethical bent for absolutism towards a term that is just like any Monotheistic or Multi-faceted religion... it can easily lose its' meaning... if the people who associate with the word, use the word to embody themselves... lack the standards to uphold it.

Vegan is about trying your best to minimize these things WE AS HUMANS CAN PERCEIVE AND KNOW ARE WRONG. isn't that the point...w e know it is wrong... w e know IT IS WRONG.

That is enough isn't it... we know it is wrong "oh but..." "but mwe mwe mwe"

You are Vegan if you're trying your best... being aware and vigilante.

Yes this means you can eat fruit and vegetables.... because that is the dietary requirement of Veganism... but don't bring down the ethical standards... simply because it seems 'too over whelming' NOT all farmers are evil and not all of them use death artificially or contemptuously.

Many of them, would love a better way of doing things... others' are just negligent and in it only for a (quantity) profit and must be 'held accountable' and must be forced to 'care about quality' for a profit.

Majority of People take the path of least resistance... do not fret because those farmers, companies who represent them and their product seems so tall... because they have the poorest foundations and they will fall. There is enough beauty in Organic farming and also in exciting new avenues....

Like Vertical Farming... Sun-Skyscrapers... in the heart of cities providing pest free and disease free organic matter (even if artificially grown)... without the transportation impact on our climate, air, water and selves. And providing local garden groups with locally grown, by-product plant material, mulch and fertilizer from this.

I am not against science, technology and ingenuity. I am against horrendous complacency, negligence and compromise for the sake of one discretion for another.

Discretion:

1. giving people complete disclosure of information as true as known, so that they may make a well informed, personal(individual) and intelligent decision based on their own moral core and ethical standards.

2. what I choose to be confidential, as to what I do not need to share with my customers, so that my company image may not be tarnished or a I may not suffer losses for my lackings.

Government for too long has sided with Business Discretion over Public Discretion for too long, there shouldn't be PRIVATE and PUBLIC... when it comes to what WE are exposed to... by eating, experiencing and that is governing our way of life AND WHOLE LIFE EXPERIENCE.

(because one business model, mirrors the other... they are both running the same methods)

Instead we have companies set up to study "people" as though they are animals, to see what Psychological advantages advertising can gain, to cost people their energy and money for the sake of something that isn't what it is. Oh but calling people Animals by those same, is an insult, simply because of their belittlement of nature and all its' creatures. Egotistic asswhipes.

I e-mailed the AUSNZ food standards board simply stating that if a Jar... containing ONE ingredient...A Pickle.... can say "Made in Australia"... but is made from "Local and Imported Ingredients"....
If the Pickle is not from f**king Australia....

Then it is blatantly apparent that the PRODUCT is the IMAGE we are being sold... the 'company ethos' and logo on the Jar. The air... or water ... the JAR ITSELF...

If the F**king Pickle.... is not GROWN in Australia but the PRODUCT, is still MADE HERE... Certifiably.

Then what are those words on the Jar if not misinformation...?

How easy would it be if they are into providing us with sentences on their products of how great they are. Why not use those sentences to convay TRUTHFUL information. "This product has been genetically engineered so that it may appear to last longer, this does not suggest the food quality is parity with an Organically grown food of the same shape or 'type'."
We are so complacent we can't even call an Oil of a Genetically Modified Plant, a GMO OIL, on the label.

We don't even have to call the OIL what it is... 'Sunflower, Canola (rapeseed), Palm Oil' no it is some econo-ambiguity mix.

My point being, if the plant has been GMO it is NO LONGER a common cultivated 'Sunflower', 'Canola Plant' or 'Palm Tree'... scientifically... or otherwise. Why can't we call it what it is?
Oh people might get the wrong idea... and what is that exactly, the right idea?

"This product has been designed for the use of Higher Concentrations of Pesticides and Herbicides, please not that this may suggest an increase in residual toxins ~ please wash your produce to ensure you have done your best, whilst we cannot even do the f**king chemical testing for you to give you the certainty. Hence why "MAY" has been used. Because we need a third party, seperate from our profit structure, to do the testing for us... because we are that ignorant and so naive... that we just don't know what we're actually doing to this Societies Food, but that some how gives us the undeniable right to f**k around with it, at will. Thanks for buying a possibly worthless piece of crap."

I'm Sure they'd think of better ways to word it than me though, where by they can still put the same substance inside the same 'Product' (the packet in question) where by the Packet... and the Substance ... match.
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au