Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

GMO Foods

Fish Genes in Tomatoes, Strawberries...Argh!

21 - 30 of 31 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

Casper.s2 Casper.s2 SA Posts: 1640
21 6 Feb 2014
And by that last sentence, I mean... in their products being forced to improve... to match the words they can put on there and still get people buying and supporting their products (the truth).

Even if there are extensive GMO studies... and the results are positive... this does not mean the CHOICE should diminish... Organic farming should always be supported, so that all of the work volunteers nationally do... is prospered because the native habitats are preserved and the work done in good faith... is kept in good faith from those who do not believe in nature.
ReplyQuote

ox.kylie.xo ox.kylie.xo QLD Posts: 861
22 7 Feb 2014
Casper.s2 said:
ox.kylie.xo said:
Casper.s2 said:
May-Z said:
I often wonder that myself. Ive been considering making the switch to organic only, but our grocery bill is already so big!!!! I think the only way to be sure is to go organic because im assuming they have to test GM food on animals to see if it makes them sick? But thats just speculation... i dont have any backing for it.
If you go Organic now rather than later, you are helping strengthen and support the Organic foundations and also depriving the more destructive alternatives, of their beloved profit.
Say that is one family? Can you imagine being friends with that family, supporting them while they go about doing all those things, big companies are 'ordered' to do? Which includes corrupting better businesses and gaining an ever greater cost/price gap, through treating their workers (the farmers) poorly and rewarding quantity over quality. Rewarding those who go GMO, those who care less about animals, which slows productivity and causes more ethical problems...caring.

Saying that.... I personally am opportunistic to Organic food. If I can I will.
But I don't feel like a Lion of Organic living.

But it is a nice way to look at it. Supporting a way of life you love happy
Im the same... i would always choose organic over GMO because of the animal testng involved and for the planets well being but while thats all good and well people need to remember that just because it is organic doesn't mean it is vegan... A lot of organic farmers actually use animal products as fertilizers... (Casper s2 - you said you wouldnt like to support large corporations that dont mesh with your beliefs... would you like to support a family using animal products? the reason I ask is because you have failed to notice or inform people of the potential betrail to their ethical life styles when choosing organic as it is not just GMO that is wrong)  It helps to always check the company before purchasing your produce...
You're right, I have an ideal in my mind when I use the word Organic, whereby I am relying on the negative connotations of big businesses we hear so much about. You know the ones... who "own everything" petrol+++. to emphasize the analogy.

It is good to think of it in context of a family we would or wouldn't be friends with, because at the end of the day, that is who were are supporting; almost always. A family.

Of a tyrant, of clean freak, or an animal activist. what ever. or all of those things wink

But would we be friends with a family and support them, simply because they give us a "good deal"... when we know they cause so much adverse agonizing and stress. Also promote poor living standards, also are shit company to all of their ' ' ' friends ' ' '.

I think the Organic Farming Standards are rather stringent in Australia.

For example I was chatting with the lady who makes Tea Tonic teas,
while volunteering at aTourism Booth nearby (ADL Show Grounds).

She mentioned about the wild berry tea that "it is organic, but being wild berries,
it is too difficult to do the soil testing required to be certified".

Also... I think natural fertilizers are fine...

I mean...if you say they aren't then domestic animals truly have no purpose in our future,
besides being sympathy play things. If those animals can lead happy lives and their shit can enrich the future... I won't stand in the way of poogress.

(That's a lie. A herd of sacred domestic ruminant animals, might be a compromise I'd accept ove other worser case scenarios. In ecological terms. Is not the change I would be relieved to see.)

Fish fertilizers, not so much.

In Adelaide we had a kerfuffle about the sea-grass again this season. They once trucked it off to become fertilizer. But realized... 'hey it is easier to push back out to sea'.... so this year after deeming it illegal to take the seaweed home to use in local gardens by citizens... they paid to have it pushed back out by tractors.... the job entailed having been done... it was on the councils heads that it simply washed back in meters down the beach.

*sigh* people... they'd rather sign up to a payment plan of pumping sand up the now artificial beach, indefinitely... than suffer natures gift of a last chance before the pumps run.... for a few years....

What is a better sand trap than a big pile of seaweed? Idiots.

Just an observation that Government seems to have this tendency in the last decade of selling out their assets and creating projects with never ended rental or running costs... One way to perpetuate their necessity as accountants? "One for you, Nine for me..because we need it." *They say to themselves and the other hand, stamps the blankcheck through.*

Anyway GMO foods!Ignore me.
Yeah alot of people get them confused, they think because both are known to be ethical they think they are one of the same... easy done happy

I personally don't particularly like the use of poo either... i would much prefer the natural decaying plant matter to provide nutrients or even just adding scraps, peels or the like is awesomely rich in the need nutrients.

I just wanted to let you know that soil testing for products to be 'certified' isn't that big of a hassle especially considering that up here in QLD the farmers on land adjacent to the reef are require to conduct soil test to enable extensive monitoring, to make sure only the optimum amount is applied subsequently preventing excess nutrients reaching the coast;  killing the Great Barrier Reef... because as we all know plants only absorb 1/3 of the nutrients applied and excess will be swept away in soil erosions right into the coast. sad

Also did you hear... your request for labelling has somehow been heard, there are many petitions to support such and action ... i think at the moment going by the ones i have seen anyways; they are all US or NZ but that usually is an indication that the same thing will be implemented here happy

also you might like to read: http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/consumer/gmfood/labelling/Pages/default.aspx
ReplyQuote

macksmith345 macksmith345 VIC Posts: 15
23 3 Mar 2014
Hi,
I read that "considering Australia's farmers use blood and bone mixed fertilizers so if you were to call GMO foods non-vegan then you would have to go as far as to call every vegetable (not home grown) non-vegan". Is that true I don't know about that.

CateringOnTheMove
ReplyQuote

B2 B2 VIC Posts: 19
24 3 Mar 2014
macksmith345 said:
Hi,
I read that "considering Australia's farmers use blood and bone mixed fertilizers so if you were to call GMO foods non-vegan then you would have to go as far as to call every vegetable (not home grown) non-vegan". Is that true I don't know about that.

CateringOnTheMove
The most common type of fertiliser used was urea (used by approximately 33% of all agricultural businesses reporting fertiliser use). However, ammonium phosphates and single superphosphates were also widely used nationally, with 30% and 28% of agricultural businesses respectively reporting their use. Use of animal manure remained steady at 12% compared with 2007-08.

Nationally, the average application rates for manufactured fertilisers ranged between 0.08 and 0.21 tonnes per hectare. The application rate for animal manure was 2.73 tonnes per hectare down from 3.19 tonnes per hectare in 2007-08.
ReplyQuote

ox.kylie.xo ox.kylie.xo QLD Posts: 861
25 4 Mar 2014
Hi missmenot3, could you please provide the source of your information. Thanks happy
ReplyQuote

26 4 Mar 2014
ox.kylie.xo said:
Hi missmenot3, could you please provide the source of your information. Thanks happy
Australian Bureau of Statistics
ReplyQuote

27 4 Mar 2014
macksmith345 said:
Hi,

CateringOnTheMove
*face palm* was that me? I say alot of things.

I mean by ... obvious definition?

Sorry for the history lesson but.... the UK "Vegetarian" Society were formed basically to be Vegan, but then some members wanted to eat fish, so they called themselves Pescetarian, they were Vegetarian but ate eggs; Ovo-Vegetarian. They were Vego but ate >>Dairy<< Lacto-Vegetarian. They were Vego but ate both eggs and dairy, Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian.

Some of the strict founders got fed up with people being flakey, so to be certain of the devotion of those around them, they left and made the Uk VEGAN Society....

Vegetarians: Will not use what directly causes the death of an animal. Aka will wear wool and silk, but won't wear leather. Will eat dairy from a cow, but not beef. Won't have drinks with E120, Carmine coloring agent, from the Cochineal smooshed beetle. Will use lanolin moisturizers.
(This is why Pescetarian is a whole-other word.)

Vegans: Will not use anything derived from an animal, as of the exploitation of life forms for the benefit of an obviously cruel and self-important species. That will not take up their rightful role as guardians of life on the whole of EARTH. The planet OF LIFE in this Universe.

Thus will not wear silk, wool or leather. The basis of Veganism is closely foundered upon the Ahimsa -- non harming ideologies. Much more strictly than any dietary fad. To be positive thinking, of well being and off kindness to those around you. An emotionally hurtful Vegan, is less of a Vegan than one who can't seem to avoid all of the products laced with animal derivatives in the 'open'/'privateer' market place. (Thus the huge affliction caused by Governments lacking food standards and labelling laws and enforcement of legislation they fall back on when criticised.)

Does blood and bone fertilizer directly cause the death of an animal, by human means? Is it derived from animals?

1. Maybe. 2. Yes.

This doesn't mean animals cannot die naturally, or for the sake of being comprehensible: "without, human-perceivable cruelty, being afflicted upon their deficient life times".

EDIT: woops off topic again.

Apply this new found knowledge to GMO yourself...

Be mindful that the key here is that GMO cropts are modified to survive herbicides.
Also be mindful that this, mass-land-reap-farming method, allows no habitat for insects and animals to exist in the first place (post-dehabilitation of the land). Also when they do exist they are poisoned to death.

The interesting point is that, because Round-Up-Ready GMO crops can survive higher dosages of herbicides, farmers are likely to be less conscious of their spraying ammounts. There is likely to be more residual effect on the end 'food' products and soil.

But yes.. now that you know Vegan and Vego standards and that they embody ideologies far beyond the cut and dry definitions, food standards laws need to label foods by. Do you think Genetically Modified Food crops are Vegan?

And what are the reasons for GMO<< Why is that Vital>> Well it is an ethical issue isn't it? Intentions play a majoy roll in morality. Are we doing GMO for reasons of healthy living and wellbeing -- or an overall profit margin based on food pricing that is Quantitiatively based, not Qualitatively based.

You get paid by weight of crop? You make your crop heavier. You get paid by quanitity of crap, you make your crop more numerous, in consequence less nutrient rich.

You get paid by quality? You change the definition of quality to suit your poor farming practices.
Everybody suffers! Until the market changes, as to what people are willing to PAY their money for as to what their standards are, what their ideologies and ethical values are....

We have degraded the whole body of food standards in this country... for what?

Currently farmers seed every year, then for the rest of the year, animals with wooly coats, graze the dust bowl in the summer sun. With maybe one gumtree left for shade and water brought out to a cement trough, when they might lose some stock to heat stroke or starvation of deprevation that causes an observable impact on the markets vision of quality. (Science is a little deeper looking).

Ok now with this in mind, this Work that happens Seasonally, to replace the ecosystems that were self-sustaining, known broadly as nature or native vegetation.

What if anarchy stuck and all farmers died or some disease formed on the land that killed all people who knew how to farm this way. What would be left? A poisned, dust bowl of a plantless, ecosystem barren wasteland, plains of spoil that need death poored on them in the liquidated meat industry form, to grow anything in the near future that is apparently edible.
What would be left -- if ? Because that is WHAT we HAVE, now.
ReplyQuote

28 4 Mar 2014
'Does blood and bone fertilizer directly cause the death of an animal, by human means? Is it derived from animals?'

Animals aren't killed just to make fertiliser. Blood and bone is slaughter house waste material.

'Currently farmers seed every year, then for the rest of the year, animals with wooly coats, graze the dust bowl in the summer sun. With maybe one gumtree left for shade and water brought out to a cement trough, when they might lose some stock to heat stroke or starvation of deprevation that causes an observable impact on the markets vision of quality'

Can't begin to tell you what utter crap that is...
ReplyQuote

Lanna Lanna QLD Posts: 17
29 6 Mar 2014
I really encourage you to do some digging on Monsanto. If you want to know about evil corporations basically ruining our Earth through GMO foods and pesticides then thats the corporation!! My Mum and I are vegan and have done heaps of research into GMO foods and stuff and i strongly suggest you look into ALL the companies owned by/ associated with Monsanto and GMO corporations because even though Australia has a ban on GMO foods, buying the products owned by those corporations still benefits them and helps them to continue doing all that they do. It's a massive commitment to boycott all the brands and stuff but totally worth it (: Also brands like Unilever and Kraft (owned and associated with monsanto) test on animals, use slave labor and abuse our planet through unsustainable practices!! Seriously, it all sounds like a massive conspiracy theory that should be in a science fiction book but sadly it's the reality we're living; and most people don't even know what's going on.

I'd post link but there are SO many!! Just google monsanto or watch some of the documentaries on youtube ((: (also there are a lot of scientific reports regarding gmo foods. Take a look at them too because science is what backs up the anti-gmo argument ((:
ReplyQuote

30 7 Mar 2014
missmeenot3 said:
'Does blood and bone fertilizer directly cause the death of an animal, by human means? Is it derived from animals?'

Animals aren't killed just to make fertiliser. Blood and bone is slaughter house waste material.

'Currently farmers seed every year, then for the rest of the year, animals with wooly coats, graze the dust bowl in the summer sun. With maybe one gumtree left for shade and water brought out to a cement trough, when they might lose some stock to heat stroke or starvation of deprevation that causes an observable impact on the markets vision of quality'

Can't begin to tell you what utter crap that is...
please do... I only speak from observation, once impartial
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au