Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Animal Testing

(formerly 'meat eaters')

1 - 10 of 32 posts   1 | 2 | 3 | 4  

christi christi VIC Posts: 26
1 2 May 2011
if animals aren't the same as us than why do animal testing seriously  confused
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
2 2 May 2011
Have no idea! happy
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
3 2 May 2011
The majority of humans are stupid.
ReplyQuote

JayT JayT VIC Posts: 525
4 2 May 2011
Mean people wear fur said:
Your 100% correct. xD
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
5 2 May 2011
christi said:
I've been wondering the same thing...
ReplyQuote

6 2 May 2011
I agree
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
7 2 May 2011
Maggie said:
christi said:
"Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is:  "Because the animals are like us."  Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is:  "Because the animals are not like us."  Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. " ~  Charles R. Magel
ReplyQuote

8 2 May 2011
Maggie said:
christi said:
"Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is:  "Because the animals are like us."  Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is:  "Because the animals are not like us."  Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. " ~  Charles R. Magel
If the animals are just like us than how come they think animals dot feel the same pain we do animals aren't  superman u no
ReplyQuote

FrancisM FrancisM VIC Posts: 62
9 2 May 2011
Maggie said:
christi said:
Magel's argument is (for better or worse) pretty unsound. It assumes a unidimensional comparison between human and non-human animals. If we were to apply this to another context, you could ask "Why do you cheer for your local sports team" - because they are like me (I relate through locality). "Why don't you play in your local sports team" - because they are not like me (they are fit, sporty, and so forth).
That isn't to say there aren't plenty of interesting arguments against animal testing; just that I don't really think Magel's is one of them.
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen Australia Posts: 993
10 2 May 2011
Unleashed Admin
FrancisM said:
Maggie said:
christi said:
Magel's argument is (for better or worse) pretty unsound. It assumes a unidimensional comparison between human and non-human animals. If we were to apply this to another context, you could ask "Why do you cheer for your local sports team" - because they are like me (I relate through locality). "Why don't you play in your local sports team" - because they are not like me (they are fit, sporty, and so forth).
That isn't to say there aren't plenty of interesting arguments against animal testing; just that I don't really think Magel's is one of them.
I think your analogy is interesting, yet Magel questions the legitimacy of one and the same practice (animal testing). You are questioning two different practices (cheering vs playing). Magel's comparison also points to a paradoxical justification (the likeness in embodiment to humans), whereas yours identifies two different, consistent qualities -- location and physical aptitude.

Perhaps it will be easier for us to understand if you can explain what similarities you believe there are between humans and animals that makes it okay to experiment on them, and what dissimilarities you think exist which makes it morally okay to do so?
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ]  [ 4 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au