Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Short Story Ideas

eg. animal related

1 - 9 of 9 posts

Shorty Shorty QLD Posts: 479
1 3 May 2011
Once again I have left my assignments to the last minute, and have a short story due tomorrow D: It has to relate to social realism, and can pretty much be about anything but I wanted to write about something I can relate to. I started a story about a boy who is forced to go to an abattoir and see pigs getting slaughtered. The boy ends up cracking and stabs the guy killing the pigs.  

I'm not sure if I like it though, or whether it'll be any good. Does anyone have better story ideas, or a way I could improve my story? I would be ever so grateful :3
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
2 3 May 2011
You could always write about an animal related injustice (ie animal testing, abattoirs, dairy industry, pounds, even a neglected pet  - but make the story out to be from the view point of a person until the last paragraph, talking in first person, if done properly those are always really effective pieces.
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
3 3 May 2011
Maybe you could write something, like, through the eyes of a battery hen, or a mouse who watches what goes on in factory farms ect!

Hope that helps!

Or, you could get an idea from the movie Earthlings! happy
ReplyQuote

Shorty Shorty QLD Posts: 479
4 3 May 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
You could always write about an animal related injustice (ie animal testing, abattoirs, dairy industry, pounds, even a neglected pet  - but make the story out to be from the view point of a person until the last paragraph, talking in first person, if done properly those are always really effective pieces.
Ah yes, that would work really well. My stories are never that good, but I might
try see if I could pull it off.

I was actually thinking about writing from the point of view of an animal in a factory farm, and make it seem like its a person in jail. But I gave up, I found it hard to think of a good story line that would work :/
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
5 3 May 2011
write about from a animals first breath till its last  - but through the eyes of the animal . i have written a few, its quite fun and people are very interested in reading it ( if written right ) ... good luck
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
6 4 May 2011
Shorty said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Ah yes, that would work really well. My stories are never that good, but I might
try see if I could pull it off.

I was actually thinking about writing from the point of view of an animal in a factory farm, and make it seem like its a person in jail. But I gave up, I found it hard to think of a good story line that would work :/
You're a silly girl for leaving it till the last minute! My English short stories were always finished the day I was given my criteria sheet tongue
ReplyQuote

sahithi sahithi Australia Posts: 1
7 3 Jun 2016
Writing a short story is an art I would say. Choose a Point of View. and one no need to describe each character separately. In the story itself, they can be introduced. Writing meaningful dialogue and maintaining the flow is very important. Here is an article that I have gone through today, which is very well written short stories about animals. Here is the article: http://www.momjunction.com/articles/best-animal-story-books-every-children-should-read_0078156/
ReplyQuote

Dracula Dracula SA Posts: 13
8 4 Jun 2016
Shorty said:
I started a story about a boy who is forced to go to an abattoir and see pigs getting slaughtered. The boy ends up cracking and stabs the guy killing the pigs.
The ending is a little drastic and unrealistic, I think. But the rest of the idea sounds great, just focus on writing about the kid's emotions. How it affects him personally, how he [i]wants[/i] to stab the guy (but obviously doesn't).
ReplyQuote

robert99 robert99 Sweden Posts: 1360
9 4 Jun 2016
How about the kid goes back at night to film the squalor, gets caught and ends up in a equally small confined space like the animals.
Depressing I know, but "based on a true story"! see eg
http://theirturn.net/2015/06/08/animal-rights-activist-being-sent-to-jail-the-animals-have-it-far-worse/
or http://www.directaction.info/index.htm
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au