Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Why...(don't get mad)

11 - 20 of 22 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
11 11 Sep 2009
Also like to add- if you want to be veg and can't.. how about just cut down on a few meats.. that is a very good way to help animals out happy for the family just say "I don't like the taste of this" and it should be okay not too eat it, simple =D
There should be no wars between vegans vs. vegetarians (ohh Ive been insulted countless times for not being a vegan) vs. meat eaters

Making conflict is putting another barrier inbetween helping animals so I say this to those who are trying to force a lifestyle. When your mother or father or sibling yells at you, the message doesn't make you understand now does it? It makes you defend yourself and yell a message back. This is just clashing and it is the exact same thing that is going on.
Show the message in a positive way and it will be understood, understand where other people are coming from and try not to insult in a way to get conformity.
ReplyQuote

littlemisstofu littlemisstofu QLD Posts: 94
12 11 Sep 2009
I think it's cool you're being so honest, you obviously care about animals because otherwise you wouldn't be a member of unleashed! I can understand where you're coming from though...i'm only allowed to be vegetarian because i take plenty of vitamin supplements and get blood tests etc...and veganism at the moment is unfortunately out of the question because my parents say i won't get enough protein...angry of course as soon as i finish school im free to do whatever i want!

Maybe do lots of research... impress your parents with lots of recipies & info on replacements for meat. Of course no-one's pressuring you, but I hope you're successful in making the switch because once you do you'll wonder why you did ever eat meat... it's just so easy!
ReplyQuote

- Kitty Freak - - Kitty Freak - SA Posts: 1071
13 11 Sep 2009
I dont notice any pressure at all, but that might be because im already vegan..but I honestly dont see anything saying things like BE VEGAN OR YOUR HORRIBLE TERRIBLE etc..

Not eating meat, as Matt said..saves around 100 lives a year..thats ALOT of difference to make. Look on the top of the web page at the 'lives saved by unleashed members this year' thats alot of lives dont you think? im pretty sure thats a big difference made..

And as to the treated well thing..i think killing an animal for simply taste is utter stupidity. Whether or not the animals have a better life than me even doesnt mean its ok to slaughter them. The ends does not justify the means.

I mean..would people think its ok to slaughter thousands of kittens if theyve had a good life? I dont think so..

As for the iron, i get plenty of it (unless im lazy) Im not good with vegetables but i eat lots of mushrooms now. As well as iron supplements, and im fine. The goodness of the iron from meat does not outweigh the bad.

Anyway, it sucks about your parents and it seems their very mis informed about the veg*n way of life..maybe they should do some research on what is involved in the process of getting meat to their plate. I suggest earthlings..google it =]

I hope it works out, you should try standing up to your family. Hit them with facts.
ReplyQuote

Kirrilly Kirrilly VIC Posts: 2092
14 11 Sep 2009
I don't think anyone is pressuring anyone else here. It's more that the idea of veganism is presented to anyone who is interested in animal rights because it really is the best way to both make a statement and directly affect supply and demand. I doubt anyone here would ridicule or pressure non-vegans, at least I haven't seen it.

And of course you can get enough iron on a vegan diet, even if you are a girl. It's true we need more iron, but it's really not that difficult to eat enough vegetables or take a supplement if you have to.

I would write a lengthier post, but I'm not really in the mood and Matt pretty much said everything I wanted to say (thanks tongue)
ReplyQuote

Karen Karen United States Posts: 1012
15 11 Sep 2009
Unleashed Admin
An interesting thing about iron on a vegetarian/vegan diet is that the absorption of non-heam iron (the iron you get from plants) is increased along with vitamin C (which is generally higher in veg diets than meat diets).

That means, it's generally easier to gain iron from your food as a vegetarian (meaning, to reach recommended levels, you don't actually need to consume AS MUCH)!

There are heaps of plant-based foods high in iron such as fortified breakfast cereals, wholemeal bread, dried fruit (e.g. apricots, prunes, raisins), green leafy vegetables, beans and pulses, molasses, nuts and seeds (almonds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds), tofu. Hmm... that's more sources of iron than you'll find in animal products I think! wink

My blood tests since being vegan have shown that I have a higher level of iron than the average meat-eater (and I don't take iron supplements, never have!)

Some people are naturally more susceptible to iron deficiencies than others. And in fact, anaemia is no more common in vegans and vegetarians than in meat eaters. So if you're predisposed to an iron deficiency, you'll probably need to up your sources or iron or take suppliments, regardless of what diet you follow. But eating veg will not make this any more difficult.

It really is a myth that we need meat as girls to gain enough iron from our diets. This myth has been used by the meat industry to get us to buy more artery-clogging animal flesh. Millions of people around the world survive healthfully without meat and have done so for countless generations.

In fact, the average life expectancy for a vegetarian is GREATER than the average life expectancy for a meat-eater. If I were you I'd mention that to your parents and say that you're interested in living a long and healthy life -- and the statistics show that vegetarians live longer! wink

Good luck on your journey. It can be very hard when your family doesn't understand. But with your help they might learn a few things about how healthy it is to not eat animals.

Check this out for more info:
http://whyveg.com/nutrition.php
ReplyQuote

Mean people wear fur Mean people wear fur QLD Posts: 1087
16 11 Sep 2009
Karen said:
An interesting thing about iron on a vegetarian/vegan diet is that the absorption of non-heam iron (the iron you get from plants) is increased along with vitamin C (which is generally higher in veg diets than meat diets).

That means, it's generally easier to gain iron from your food as a vegetarian (meaning, to reach recommended levels, you don't actually need to consume AS MUCH)!

There are heaps of plant-based foods high in iron such as fortified breakfast cereals, wholemeal bread, dried fruit (e.g. apricots, prunes, raisins), green leafy vegetables, beans and pulses, molasses, nuts and seeds (almonds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds), tofu. Hmm... that's more sources of iron than you'll find in animal products I think! wink

My blood tests since being vegan have shown that I have a higher level of iron than the average meat-eater (and I don't take iron supplements, never have!)
EXACTLY!  happy
ReplyQuote

strutty strutty QLD Posts: 87
17 11 Sep 2009
yup there is definitely something to be said about Iron levels and a vegan diet. Ive always had issues with my levels and they actually improved a fair bit when i made the switch.

Everyone else has  summed up the "why bother" thing really well, but may I add that perhaps you could consider watching earthlings. That will explain everything very, VERY clearly.
ReplyQuote

- Kitty Freak - - Kitty Freak - SA Posts: 1071
18 11 Sep 2009
heres the linky if you want to watch it..=]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6361872964130308142#

I hope it helps
ReplyQuote

Rosie Wolf Rosie Wolf VIC Posts: 163
19 12 Sep 2009
I'm considered anemic, and was on iron tablets pretty much my whole life. Since going vegan, i've stopped taking the supplements & am in better condition with my iron levels than ever.
And as far as being vegan goes, not only is the best way to help animals, not to mention make a stand against all the horrific things happening to them. It is also one of the best things you could ever, ever do for the planet. If the whole world was vegan, or vegetarian, we wouldn't be in this sad situation with the planet. & i don't see anyone pressuring people to become vegan, we may talk about how positive it is compared to eating meat. But its not like we're telling you, you personally need to change, you're taking that view yourself.
ReplyQuote

april-san april-san QLD Posts: 368
20 12 Sep 2009
Whenever I hear or read things that say that veg*ns have to be more careful with their diet and are more susceptible to deficiencies and stuff, I get annoyed, because it's not like we're a select few following some fad.
In India, something like half the population is Hindu, so that's millions of vegetarians, just in one country. They're not suffering from low iron levels from not eating meat.
And whoever heard of a vegetable that causes cancer?
ReplyQuote

[ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au