Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Agriculture in our School

Cruel or not?

1 - 10 of 26 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

Catzilla Kittypaw Catzilla Kittypaw SA Posts: 16
1 6 May 2011
My friend and I do Agriculture at our School this semester. We get meat chicks there that live in a shed for eight weeks. They usually don't get sunlight and they sometimes grow to quickly and can't stand properly. Its extremely distressing seeing them like this, but we are not actually sure if its cruel or not. At eight weeks old, these chicks are sent to the abbitoir, packaged, and sold at school. I wonder to myself, we have a Christian School, and yet we get profit from killing baby birds. Its horrible becoming friends with these chicks, and then see them being sent off. We have emailed our principle about this, but she doesnt read her emails. We are planning to soon come forward with it. Ideas anyone?
ReplyQuote

Pegs Pegs VIC Posts: 1538
2 6 May 2011
Catzilla Kittypaw said:
My friend and I do Agriculture at our School this semester. We get meat chicks there that live in a shed for eight weeks. They usually don't get sunlight and they sometimes grow to quickly and can't stand properly. Its extremely distressing seeing them like this, but we are not actually sure if its cruel or not. At eight weeks old, these chicks are sent to the abbitoir, packaged, and sold at school. I wonder to myself, we have a Christian School, and yet we get profit from killing baby birds. Its horrible becoming friends with these chicks, and then see them being sent off. We have emailed our principle about this, but she doesnt read her emails. We are planning to soon come forward with it. Ideas anyone?
Your school keeps and raises chicks in your school and slaughters them? And they can't even stand properly?! My gosh, its just like a mini broiler chicken factory. I would DEFINITELY complain! I'd walk straight up to your principle, and ask her (cause she's probably religious) "Would God want us to do this?" Yes, it is cruel, and I wouldn't stand for it!!!!!!!

Maybe you should have a roof top protest! :p
ReplyQuote

jack jack VIC Posts: 1463
3 6 May 2011
ummm of COURSE that is cruel

Protesting could result in expultion
dont do that yet happy
ReplyQuote

lividlotus lividlotus NSW Posts: 301
4 6 May 2011
I'd also be careful with protesting; don't want you getting into trouble!
I agree that it's cruel though, so definitely go and talk to your principal in person if she's not checking her inbox.
Better to voice your concerns sooner than later happy good luck~
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
5 6 May 2011
Do they grow quickly because they stocked up on growth hormones? Is it un natural growing? Because if so. Obviously thats cruel, how can you even ask that. Theyre killed at the end, and your school eats them? How can you question the cruelty in that. I went to a Catholic school and we never had anything like that, that's totally in excusable and totally not necessary.
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
6 6 May 2011
we have agriculture on our school farm, we have pigs ( 2) that are grown to prokers and slaughted, we have meat rabbits, they live in descusting cages and live in a dark shed, i have rescued a few of the rabbits, and have gone to the princable and nothing happed, i have had meetings after meetings with the ag teachers on how to improve the conditions. i clean the cages out every day - and take them out on the grass and they love it ..

we also have cows and calfs -the calfs are slaughted and the cows are aswell in the end. they show the calves in the hoof and hook competition at shows.

we have sheep and alpaca's. the lambs are slaughted at 7 months old - i have the last bunch of lambs ( i resced one and bought the rest ) and i have a friend of my mums buying the new lambs ( when they are born and weaned )

we have fish that are slaughted - although even tho its horrible that they are killed they  live in good quality tanks - which is a bonus.

i dont think we shoud have the killing side of ag - but the how to care for the animals, but the teachers arnt interested in doing this sad

does any1 have any ideas how to stop it? i want to stop it at my school any suggestions?
ReplyQuote

rottweiler rottweiler SA Posts: 1907
7 6 May 2011
If its bad enough, call rspca or some kind of animal welfare? if it's unhealthy or they arnt being treated right? if it's not classed by animal welfare for being a bad environment or theyre being treated badly- there's probably not a huge amount you can do. besides maybe try and involve more people in looking after them (students) and get them to help clean, take them out of the grass and play around with them.. so then more people will be attatched, and make friends with the animals, so in the end more of them can get rescued by other students, or families. maybe open peoples eyes around and ty get other families to by them that will treat them well
ReplyQuote

Clud Clud VIC Posts: 1559
8 6 May 2011
If the school doesn't do anything after complaints and protests, send this in to your local newspaper. Because a christain school keeping animals cruely and then killing them and selling them! That's very outragous and a very good story, they'd def. post it. Then the school would basically have to stop that.
ReplyQuote

9 6 May 2011
Pegs said:
Catzilla Kittypaw said:
Your school keeps and raises chicks in your school and slaughters them? And they can't even stand properly?! My gosh, its just like a mini broiler chicken factory. I would DEFINITELY complain! I'd walk straight up to your principle, and ask her (cause she's probably religious) "Would God want us to do this?" Yes, it is cruel, and I wouldn't stand for it!!!!!!!

Maybe you should have a roof top protest! :p
Yeh, I mentioned in the email that we are all God's children and all the same in size, shape and species, though, our principals obviously not interested or doesnt know what happens under her nose!
ReplyQuote

10 6 May 2011
rottweiler said:
Do they grow quickly because they stocked up on growth hormones? Is it un natural growing? Because if so. Obviously thats cruel, how can you even ask that. Theyre killed at the end, and your school eats them? How can you question the cruelty in that. I went to a Catholic school and we never had anything like that, that's totally in excusable and totally not necessary.
I asked the Ag teacher and she said they dont give them hormones, but Im not sure... I ask if its cruel because I only see them a few times a week, and not completely sure how they treat them. But Im fairly sure they dont get sunlight. And i think the average age for a chicken is like 7-10 years or something? And these poor things only get around 8 weeks.
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au