Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

I want to be a chef

Is it possible?

1 - 10 of 26 posts   1 | 2 | 3  

ShadowDoubt ShadowDoubt QLD Posts: 753
1 9 May 2011
Would I have to cook meat to pass?
I've got no idea!

Any help would be appreciated love
ReplyQuote

..1 ..1 TAS Posts: 2265
2 9 May 2011
It is possible, I got my certificate 1 in Hospitality while I was vegetarian. But I was only allowed to cook vegetarian if my vegetarian partner was there. I had to cook pork once because she didn't turn up. My teacher was really mean about it, and I felt really uncomfortable being around meat all the time.
ReplyQuote

3 9 May 2011
Maggie said:
It is possible, I got my certificate 1 in Hospitality while I was vegetarian. But I was only allowed to cook vegetarian if my vegetarian partner was there. I had to cook pork once because she didn't turn up. My teacher was really mean about it, and I felt really uncomfortable being around meat all the time.
Aw that'd suck, having to cook pork!
I want to have my own little vego restaurant happy
ReplyQuote

lividlotus lividlotus NSW Posts: 301
4 10 May 2011
I would think a lot of cooking schools would have problems if they forced students to learn to cook with meat even if they were against using meat in the first place!
There are always ways around that, using alternatives and substituting meat with veg-friendly. And it really shouldn't cause that much a problem considering the veg-friendly foods nowadays are getting better and aren't as bland as they used to be before.

So I'd say that it's more than possible!
ReplyQuote

5 10 May 2011
ShadowDoubt said:
Maggie said:
Aw that'd suck, having to cook pork!
I want to have my own little vego restaurant happy
I think you could easily have your own veg restaurant. I wanted to have my own vegetarian cafe. I also did business studies, so I would know how to open my cafe.

You could definitely become qualified in hospitality without cooking meat. My vegetarian friend won't cook meat, and she is going to be chef. happy
ReplyQuote

6 16 May 2011
That sounds cool Maggie! Maybe I can contact the TAFE and ask them if I could become a chef without having to cook the meat. wink
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
7 16 May 2011
Maggie said:
I would love to cook professionally but I would not cook with any animal bi products, it would all have to be vegan. Something tells me it's not going to be EASY tongue
ReplyQuote

8 16 May 2011
ShadowDoubt said:
That sounds cool Maggie! Maybe I can contact the TAFE and ask them if I could become a chef without having to cook the meat. wink
Yeah you could contact TAFE, or if you're planning on doing in year 11, you can talk to the course teacher before you sign up for the course. I didn't do that though, I just talked to my teacher about what I would cook each lesson. But I wouldn't recommend doing that! tongue
ReplyQuote

9 16 May 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
I would love to cook professionally but I would not cook with any animal bi products, it would all have to be vegan. Something tells me it's not going to be EASY tongue
You can bring your own ingredients if you want, I think. My teacher was really bad though, so she didn't decide what we were cooking until night before. Most teachers are more organised than she was. If you request the recipe in advance, you can probably bring your own vegan versions of the animal ingredients. happy
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
10 16 May 2011
Maggie said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:
You can bring your own ingredients if you want, I think. My teacher was really bad though, so she didn't decide what we were cooking until night before. Most teachers are more organised than she was. If you request the recipe in advance, you can probably bring your own vegan versions of the animal ingredients. happy
vegan cooking is very different to standard cooking in commercial kitchens. I would be wanting to learn great techniques when it comes to things like vegan creams and seitans instead of worrying about subbing for roast pork etc.

I'm also thinking less about the study part and more about applying them in a kitchen. Vegan kitchens are near impossible to come across, unless I opened my own, which I would one day like to do regardless
ReplyQuote

< Prev
 [ 1 ]  [ 2 ]  [ 3 ] 

www.unleashed.org.au