Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Animals in Paddocks

Are obviously not factory farmed animals?

1 - 8 of 8 posts

ecochick ecochick SA Posts: 214
1 11 May 2011
When i drive in the country, i always see livestock (usually cows and sheep) roaming around on open pastures. Cows have their calfs, and they all look rather happy cow Just wondering exactly what those animals are used for, and why we never hear about those ones when we are told about meat production. And also what is country killed meat? is that hand killed? or just a country abbiator?
just to clarify- I AM NOT CONDONING MEAT PRODUCTION! just curious... happy
ReplyQuote

Kick Kick VIC Posts: 540
2 11 May 2011
Are these cows used in the dairy industry? We live in 'dairy country' and there are cows everywhere! Its sad to see their bobby calves ambling around their mums one day and you drive past them the next day and they're all gone. sad
ReplyQuote

ecochick ecochick SA Posts: 214
3 11 May 2011
kimberleyfrancess said:
Are these cows used in the dairy industry? We live in 'dairy country' and there are cows everywhere! Its sad to see their bobby calves ambling around their mums one day and you drive past them the next day and they're all gone. sad
i dont go past them often enough to notice that. are they free range or privatley owned or what?
ReplyQuote

Beemo Beemo United States Posts: 1259
4 11 May 2011
I often wonder this too. I assume they are either dairy cows or free range cows/sheep for meat production. If you see a house nearby the paddock then they are probably owned by a small farmer who sells them live - though some may slaughter on the premises.
It would be great if someone knew more about this - as every time I drive somewhere on holidays nearly every paddock I see if filled with either cows or sheep.
ReplyQuote

Jacqui T Jacqui T NSW Posts: 796
5 11 May 2011
They could be meat or milk cows- or just pets! Most of my family owns farms and none of them sell or use their cows.

If I ever own land I'd love to rescue a few cows, sheep and chook.

Others breed cows and sell them to other farms for production.

But I'd say a lot of them use them for milk or meat- Im not saying its humane at all but atleast the cows get to run around while they're alive.
ReplyQuote

OinkMoo OinkMoo NSW Posts: 1340
6 11 May 2011
they would be free-ranged meat - with is better then factory farmed ( i dont eat meat btw ) .. there is a fair few free ranged farms around here that breed angus, hereford and santa G .. most likley they are this, they are slaughted at a slaughterhouse unless , they are bred for home slaughter
ReplyQuote

Alyssa Alyssa VIC Posts: 296
7 11 May 2011
I always wonder about this too! I don't live in a country area......
But there's Lysterfield down the road haha Anyway so many random cows on paddocks! And I always wonder what they are doing there!
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
8 12 May 2011
My mum's friend owns a beed farm out in central QLD. She has God only knows how many acres (several 1000 I am guessing) where her massive head of cattle move between. She moves them from pasture to pasture each day for new grass and what not. She has several heads of cows. They are treated well - cotton seed, hay, fly dips for summer, etc etc, of course until they get loaded on a truck and sent to market, and we all know what happens then...

For cows - usually the dairy cows are your black & white variety, and the others are beef.

I am guessing the same would go for sheep also.
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au