Animals Australia Unleashed
Change the World Who Cares? Videos Take Action! The Animals Community Forum Shop Blog Display
1 2 3
Your E-Mail: O Password:
Login Help     |     Join for Free!     |     Hide This

Post a Reply

Iron and Calcium for a Vegan?

1 - 7 of 7 posts

Crystal Elizabeth Crystal Elizabeth NSW Posts: 2
1 17 May 2011
Lately I've been feeling very sluggish and faint, and after going to the doctors they recommend that I have a blood test to check Iron levels etc. I was wondering what other Vegans use to substitute Iron from red meat and Calcium from cheese, milk etc. I've also read somewhere that we don't actually get a lot of Calcium from green vegetables, nuts, soy etc. Is this true?
ReplyQuote

Catyren Catyren WA Posts: 542
2 17 May 2011
if you're worried about your iron levels think about upping your vitamin c intake. it helps with absorption. don't worry about calcium so much, dairy is the worst way to get calcium which is why the countries that consume the most dairy have the highest rates of osteoporosis. you should still eat plenty of calcium and iron rich foods but you should be able to get these nutrients pretty easily with a balanced diet. if you're really worried you could try a supplement.
ReplyQuote

xMISSMONSTERx xMISSMONSTERx WA Posts: 2582
3 17 May 2011
Crystal Elizabeth said:
Lately I've been feeling very sluggish and faint, and after going to the doctors they recommend that I have a blood test to check Iron levels etc. I was wondering what other Vegans use to substitute Iron from red meat and Calcium from cheese, milk etc. I've also read somewhere that we don't actually get a lot of Calcium from green vegetables, nuts, soy etc. Is this true?
It's so easy to get iron if you're eating a balanced vegetarian diet, favouring dark green leafy vegetables. Lethargic behavior can also be down to inactivity. Trying to get a bit of exercise in can help with this!

As catryen said, up your vit c intake, I've also heard tea can stop iron absorption.
If you're worried, you can also grab iron tablets from most pharmacies and just take one of those every now and then.
ReplyQuote

RaV3N RaV3N WA Posts: 2152
4 17 May 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
As catryen said, up your vit c intake, I've also heard tea can stop iron absorption.
Caffeine too. I was told to drink a glass of juice prior to popping my iron tab of a morn. Or try drinking a glass of juice with dinner with your leafy greens happy

And if you're worried about calcium, there is a soy milk made by Vitasoy called Calci Plus - it's in a purple pack. 250ml gives you 50% of your calcium intake. Prior to being vegan I was never big on dairy - only whatever cheese I ate for the day (sometimes, not much) and I have never broken a bone.... I have only started now due to my pregnancy.
ReplyQuote

a. a. VIC Posts: 82
5 18 May 2011
I take Life Stream Calcium supplement... they are reasonably afforadable and suitable for vegans. I take 2 a day and I seem to be fine happy
ReplyQuote

ecochick ecochick SA Posts: 214
6 18 May 2011
xMISSMONSTERx said:
I've also heard tea can stop iron absorption.
Only if you have it (or any caffene) WITH or imediatley priror or after eating iron-rich foods, so fruit juice (especially orange) is best to eat with green leafy stuff! happy
ReplyQuote

Val Val NSW Posts: 339
7 19 May 2011
RaV3N said:
xMISSMONSTERx said:
Caffeine too. I was told to drink a glass of juice prior to popping my iron tab of a morn. Or try drinking a glass of juice with dinner with your leafy greens happy

And if you're worried about calcium, there is a soy milk made by Vitasoy called Calci Plus - it's in a purple pack. 250ml gives you 50% of your calcium intake. Prior to being vegan I was never big on dairy - only whatever cheese I ate for the day (sometimes, not much) and I have never broken a bone.... I have only started now due to my pregnancy.
don't buy that one!!! Unfortunately it is not vegan sad Its on their website. It is in the 'Suitable for vegetarians' list but not on the 'Suitable for Vegans' list
ReplyQuote

www.unleashed.org.au